UpSideDownCarl Looping In NYC's Chinatown

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is some footage from Thursday night. I actually got someone to take a few clips of me training with an older guy who is really just a treat to play against. He is a penholder and he is about 70 years old but he is probably still about 2100. Every ball that comes back, he is putting a little something different on it. So it is fun because I have to adjust to each shot and he is so consistent.

If you watch the footage though, you can see that this floor is pretty slipper so I can't use my legs quite the way I would on a good floor: it makes my hips look stiff on a few shots where I try to use my hips but my feet won't let me.

Been a long time since I have seen footage of myself. And I do see plenty that needs to be worked on. :) Always good to have a reality check.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Very nice and controlled looping Carl , I love the point of contact and the weight transfer. I am curious, are you able to translate the point of contact while looping during the game or does it go back a little , I am always trying to fix that myself .. hence thought of asking ...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think, not much changes during match play in terms of my looping. My counter looping has gotten pretty good, so, if someone else loops at me during a match, if I catch up to it, I can return a pretty nasty counter loop. And my FH opening off backspin is pretty decent. In the videos I am playing with dropping back and taking the ball while it drops, being at mid-distance and taking the ball at the height and moving forward to time the ball on the rise.

In ways, what this guy is giving me is more tricky than most of what I get in a match because I am hitting it right to him and he is changing what he gives me on every single shot.

That being said, one thing I see on this video is something NextLevel and I have talked about which is how my wrist seems to stay locked in that position on a lot of the strokes where on my follow through it has not moved out of that hooked position.

It was nice for me to see several angles on my loop though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Carl,

I wouldn't be concerned about the wrist thing for now. The key would be whether you play a good backhand out of the same grip and would be willing to do the movement or grip changes required to hit certain shots like flicks, fades and pushes. But as a pure loop it looks decent. It's probably more vertical than ideal because you don't take your racket back but I can't see the ball the blocker is giving you so that's neither here nor there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Carl!!! dude.. your weigh transfer is great... our legs and knees snapping together is good to.. i am working with another player (training him) and your video will be used to explain the concept of pulling from the left and the right side of your body will then trail and the final can be more explosive... your small shifts and pulling from your left side is a good example..

i also like the example your showing about how your head is very steady and your watching the ball into the impact zone very well...

keep up the great work on the floor and here with your insightful comments..

what shoes are you wearing? the floor looks slippery there..

pham

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl!!! dude.. your weigh transfer is great... our legs and knees snapping together is good to.. i am working with another player (training him) and your video will be used to explain the concept of pulling from the left and the right side of your body will then trail and the final can be more explosive... your small shifts and pulling from your left side is a good example..

i also like the example your showing about how your head is very steady and your watching the ball into the impact zone very well...

keep up the great work on the floor and here with your insightful comments..

what shoes are you wearing? the floor looks slippery there..

pham

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, that floor is super slippery. Terrible for table tennis. When I go there I actually don't even bring my TT shoes (indoor soccer shoes really). Those are actually hiking boots. On that floor it makes no difference what shoes you wear. The floor is plastic and if you really dig into the ground you slide and end up falling. :)

I am going to see if I can get some footage of me looping someplace with a good floor to see what that looks like. But I had someone there who was willing to film from several angles. And the guy I am looping to is really like a machine. Plus the versatility of this old penholder. He is switching from inside out spin to hook, to heavier top and every so often slips in chop blocks to make me really have to watch and focus. It is great to train with him.

But you can actually also see my movements from my legs are a bit stiffer than they would be on a good floor because of how slippery the floor is.

Good eyes phamster. Good to hear from you. It's been a while. :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do you not strain your wrist with all that cocking action going on?

For whatever reason, that wrist position feels very natural to me. It doesn't bother me at all; in fact I don't even notice I am doing that. It seems to be good for hooking the ball. I get A LOT of sidespin on my loops when I want to. However, I know it is not ideal to keep it like that.

But, still, I know I can spin most people around my level off the table because my loops have a pretty decent amount of spin. In fact, the guy I am hitting with is several levels higher than me. He is from China and has been playing his whole life. Even though he is almost 20 years older than me--I am 51, he is 70--and, he is still really good. But I still spin his ball off the table often enough.

Reactions: Suga D and fais
says what [IMG]
If you've ever got too much sidespin on a loop and the ball didn't go where you want, then it's not good. Otherwise, I guess, whatever works. Personally, my wrist geometry doesn't enjoy that...

When I was developing my loop early on, and I still do this, I would put a racket on the table with the handle towards me and try to hit the handle so that the ball flies up at a 90 degree angle. Once I could somewhat consistently hit that point anywhere on the table, I considered my forehand any good. It's good practice and really gives perspective on your 'actual' accuracy.

I think you get bonus points if you can consistently hit the handle and get the ball to go off the side with sidespin. ;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I will take the Boll comment as a compliment. But I don't watch or copy anyone for technique. I am not playing for a year and a half and trying to learn from videos. I am playing long enough that the stroke is mine. When my FH sucked and needed to be rebuilt. I didn't watch videos either. Someone (Edmund Suen with the help of Damien Provost) made me start from the beginning because my forehand needed to be completely rebuilt. The forearm snap wasn't in there at all. But it was rebuilt by working with people who knew what they were doing, by doing be work with discipline myself, and by understanding body mechanics enough to fix all the things that were wrong with it.

Control and placement has never been remotely an issue for me. I am a control player. If anyone sees me hit the white line on the BH corner when I hook the ball around the net, or sees me get the ball to slide when I go around the net, they know placement is not something I struggle with.

42andbackpains has seen me tattoo the ball around the net. In a match where NextLevel and I were playing Ilia Minkin and Matt Heatherington on New Year's weekend, I got an around the net shot during the match which was caught on one of NextLevel's famous videos.

But NextLevel nails the actual issues with that wrist position in his comment. He had said to me it may be my grip and at first I was skeptical. But looking at the footage where I can see myself loop repeatedly, I can see he may be right.

My switching from FH to BH is very good. My switching from BH to FH used to be terrible but now it is solid. Not half as good as the other way. But from FH to BH is really better than I can understand.

However, opening the grip for receiving serves and hitting fade loops is something I need to work on. That is where that grip is problematic in game skills.

So, I actually need to train and work on exactly that.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The thing is, backhand to forehand transition is easier if you play with a cocked wrist . Be ready to face some issues in transition when you uncock your wrist.

Control and placement has never been remotely an issue for me. I am a control player. If anyone sees me hit the white line on the BH corner when I hook the ball around the net, or sees me get the ball to slide when I go around the net, they know placement is not something I struggle with.

42andbackpains has seen me tattoo the ball around the net. In a match where NextLevel and I were playing Ilia Minkin and Matt Heatherington on New Year's weekend, I got an around the net shot during the match which was caught on one of NextLevel's famous videos.

But NextLevel nails the actual issues with that wrist position in his comment. He had said to me it may be my grip and at first I was skeptical. But looking at the footage where I can see myself loop repeatedly, I can see he may be right.

My switching from FH to BH is very good. My switching from BH to FH used to be terrible but now it is solid. Not half as good as the other way. But from FH to BH is really better than I can understand.

However, opening the grip for receiving serves and hitting fade loops is something I need to work on. That is where that grip is problematic in game skills.

So, I actually need to train and work on exactly that.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Nice vids, Carl! Can see you have improved since your old vids.
That wrist has WLQ written all over it.

xin_2920205260922734325066.jpg

Just a question... Have you tried to straighten your arm more when you are rotating backwards? I this could give you more power in point of contact.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have seen Carl in action enough to comment. Carl, really doesn't do a lot of monster power shots in a match (like Der_Echte attempts) Carl like to play more consistent, whether it is on first attack or counter. Carl does not commit to 100 percent power on his shots, more like 60% in a match. Right or wrong, it is what Carl chooses and he is increasingly consistent as time goes by. His basic fundamentals on a functional level are very solid, likely a lot more solid than myself on many kinds of shots. Carl is not trying to loop the opponent off the table with his first or second ball (like Der_Echte always tries)

Carl is showing this to the forum for a few reasons I suspect.

1- He had to duck into a club to lie low for a spell to shake off the pursuing Goon Squads

2 - He likes to back up what he says with a vid or three

3 - He likes showing concepts

4 - Making a couple short vids is fun

5 - it is a good record of progression

6 - it gets valid comments from those who know and want to help

7 - it gets comments from trouble makers and Carl secretly likes to fight :D

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
As for Carl's wrist, he isn't gunna get that thing hurt any time soon playing like that.

I like NL's first consideration for playing that way as his concern was oriented around an ability to function in a match (transition to quickly employ the BH effectively)

says what [IMG]

Just a question... Have you tried to straighten your arm more when you are rotating backwards? I this could give you more power in point of contact.
Carl's backswing is not under 90 degrees, so it's correct in theory.

Changing your swing to be longer would facilitate a change in all other aspects of one's game.

The reason I have a 'short' backswing of 110~ degrees and a long backswing of 160 degrees is because I can and it's what my strategy and training is based around.

Carl said he is a control player and if you read between the lines, that means that he's intentionally not even committing to his loops in terms of power. I believe Carl is an oldschool control player who attempts to outlast his opponent. Perhaps outdated in the modern pro game, but we're not playing in the modern pro game environment, except in our heads. :rolleyes:

The only advice I would give Carl is to un-cock his wrist on contact (In fact, vary it for deception.) and to up the pace slightly, although the lousy floor is most likely the reason for the lack of pace.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I actually think this is a great comment. For this training I am actually just trying to keep the ball in play for the sake of the rally. So I am not going for it. But I think if I combine this with NextLevel's idea of a bit more of a back to forward orientation, my stroke would have more pop.

And the straighten the arm issue, it is funny, how I actually think about it when I loop, when I take the ball closer to my body, I keep my arm more bent. When I take the ball farther away my arm straightens out more on my backswing. And that has a lot more power with only a little more effort. So it will be worth me working on being more comfortable taking the ball farther away. I do it in matches when I want to. But I need to train it more so it becomes more in my looping vocabulary.

6 - it gets valid comments from those who know and want to help

7 - it gets comments from trouble makers and Carl secretly likes to fight :D

I gotta say, I was entertained by everything the Der_Meister has said. But number 7 particularly made me laugh.

I am indeed an instigator and I do love to cause a bit of trouble so long as it's all in good fun. Or, at least, as long as the trouble entertains me.

But I wouldn't mind having Der_Echte's technique; and particularly his BH, his FH fade, his serves, his serve receive, his skillz in reading the game, and especially, his raising a ruckus and winning chicken and beer bets. Hahahahaha. Now those are the important things.

In thinking about these vids, I am torn. With a better floor, I can do more, but where I usually play that has a good floor, my training partners would be much lower level so I may end up with footage that is no better or perhaps, not even as good.

But I might as well try for some footage on a good floor. The guy I will train with today has very little control so I will get run all over the place: almost like a random footwork drill. Let's see if I can get some footage. Or maybe I will record some serve and receive drills.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Carl, if you will manage to move yor wrist forward from that position, you will generate so much topspin that the ball will hit through the roof off your opponent's racket :)

Here is how Mengel cocks his wrist before unleashing a massive forehand blast:

tXA6kFU.png