UpSideDownCarl Looping In NYC's Chinatown

says what [IMG]
"I would need to see a lot more to comment"

At no point was I intending to imply that your footwork is dragging feet. Surely, the floor in the first videos also has a lot to do with it. I will try to find the videos to correct any wrong ideas I might have about your game.

I've also explained exactly why I can't find a way to post video, and aren't posting video. Do you not think I would want to demonstrate my ability so that people know who they're talking to, and what context it's coming from so that you wouldn't immediately dismiss my thoughts because they do not match yours exactly?

Perhaps wider is not the right term. Lower COG is what I was thinking about, and usually you go about that with a wider stance. Do also bear in mind that said 2600+ people who are telling you your stance is too wide are referring to your current level with your current shots, not taking into account that adopting a wider, lower stance (Up to a point) is something you must do to progress as a modern attacker.

I would also still like to know exactly what I do not know I am talking about, and how my view is wrong. What have I said that is entirely wrong and I have some kind of wrong understanding about?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You are doing the monkey dance just fine Carl :)

Archosaurus, you once again show why you actually should post video of yourself. My footwork is not old dragging my feet on the floor. I have been told more by 2600 level players that my stance is too wide rather than not wide enough. You can see me moving back, moving in making tiny adjustments laterally to each different shot.

My money says that he reason you are not posting is really that you can't do what you say you can which is also why, while so many other people's comments are excellent, your comments consistently seem to show that you don't actually know what you are talking about.

I would say, post video or learn when you don't know what you are talking about.

Here is me doing some shadow footwork drills. I can do all of these equally well while being fed multiball or while having a coach block and move me. These are easy.

But if you want to see how I play matches, NextLevel has at least 7 matches between me and him or me and Der_Echte posted. In them you can see that my footwork is functional for match play.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says what [IMG]
How can somebody be in doubt when they are doing shadow practice, your statement is relevant during game play
It's just a way to say "Most people follow through too low and should try following through higher". Perhaps Carl feels nothing wrong with the movement, but that feels mighty awkward when I did it now.

I've seen this idea that you should never follow through across your body, or that you should never, ever, in any case follow through above your head or anywhere remotely near your forehead. I suppose once your level is high enough you understand why coaches say this, but oh man does it cause some problems.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I understand what you are trying to say , I have been told this before and I practice it when I play.

The point I am trying to make is that because of the gap in communication you tend to make valid points that get misunderstood.

Take this perfect example , "I've seen this idea that you should never follow through across your body, or that you should never, ever, in any case follow through above your head or anywhere remotely near your forehead. "

I had to re-read this multiple times to make sure I was understanding it correctly, and that you actually ended up juxtaposing two contradicting opinions in the same sentence, though most likely inadvertently .

We want everybody to participate in this forum and take a positive experience out of it. So my advise is, if you are foreign national , you would want to write in small simple sentences to avoid getting misunderstood.

Now, I don't want to hijack this thread , just wanted to make a point for sake of universal peace in this forum :) ....

Both your points are valid, but put in the following way I bet Carl will press the like button immediate :

"Hi Carl, Just a suggestion , you might want to finish your forehand near your forehead or higher , but make sure it does not cover your eyes :p . Also, I saw you might be missing a short hop during your forehand reset phase, that will help you make your footwork even more agile." See .. ? Nice, sunny and non controversial , even if somebody does not agree with it , it maintains peace and harmony :)

It's just a way to say "Most people follow through too low and should try following through higher". Perhaps Carl feels nothing wrong with the movement, but that feels mighty awkward when I did it now.

I've seen this idea that you should never follow through across your body, or that you should never, ever, in any case follow through above your head or anywhere remotely near your forehead. I suppose once your level is high enough you understand why coaches say this, but oh man does it cause some problems.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Following through across the body and above the forehead is a little extreme, don't you agree ?
Point noted. I'll try.

Although, what contradicting opinions were in my sentence?

Following through across the body doesn't have anything to do with follow through height. Following through above the head means that you must follow through above the forehead. What is contradicting what?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You are swinging shallow during your footwork drills, Carl. Don't swing across your neck, try to get to the eyebrow!

I do get higher with the ball there. But not always. So much real stuff to work on.

Carl, you're supposed to modify your stance in real time to be able to play a good forehand shot and a good backhand shot without sacrificing anything.

Since you have not seen me connecting shots, what you are talking about is actually nonsense.

I would need to see a lot more to comment, but I am guessing that one of your habits is essentially walking to the ball instead of jumping to it.

This more silliness. And EVERY 2600+ player that I know is clear that you do not want to jump or go up and down. That you want to stay low and use your feet while staying low.

...by the steps you take in the videos you posted, I am probably correct, and that is causing the need to have a very neutral stance.

More nonesense. Go find matches. The way you move in a match tells a lot. Especially on a good floor. And if I did any of the shadow drills I showed on that floor I would end up sliding and landing on the floor. You can't use your feet like that on that floor. But I am making small refined adjustments to each ball.

T
ry hopping to the ball instead of walking to it, and adjust your stance on every shot.

I don't walk and the high level players I know would laugh at someone instructing a person to HOP for footwork. YOU WANT TO STAY LOW and not continually change your head height.

I've also explained exactly why I can't find a way to post video, and aren't posting video. Do you not think I would want to demonstrate my ability so that people know who they're talking to, and what context it's coming from so that you wouldn't immediately dismiss my thoughts because they do not match yours exactly?

I find your excuses sort of like "sorry I don't have my home work teacher. My dog ate it. My cat peed on it."

I am confident you could find SOMEONE, anyone, with a smart phone and have them take a few clips. I am also sure you could get one of those guys you say you are so much better than and serve short backspin, teach him how to push the serve back, and then loop it and play out the point. Anyone could do the training partner side of things.

We would be able to see what you are doing regardless of the level of your training partner. So, I found all those excuses really denial and defense mechanisms.

I would also still like to know exactly what I do not know I am talking about, and how my view is wrong. What have I said that is entirely wrong and I have some kind of wrong understanding about?

Well, I pointed some out. But there is a reason why so many people aside from me has said that YOU NEED TO POST SOME VIDEO OF YOURSELF.

In case you missed it. Here is the most recent one I've seen. SEE IF YOU CAN FIGURE OUT WHY THIS MAY HAVE BEEN SAID.

Can you please post some videos of your matches to illustrate the point you are making. I am sure again somethings are getting lost through translation.

You are a smart and enthusiastic kid. I don't want to discourage you. But so often, when you are talking about technique, you sound like you REALLY don't know what you are talking about.

The funny thing is, everyone else's comments seem pretty solid. But many of yours seem like they come from someone who is playing about 1.5 years and thinks he knows what he is doing but doesn't actually.

Have you ever seen footage of yourself playing?

says what [IMG]
Following through across the body and above the forehead is a little extreme, don't you agree ?
That's why I emphasized "never".

There's plenty of cases where you do want to do that ie: looping heavy backspin, sidespin loops etc.

@Carl

You are not explaining why what I say is nonsense, apart from claiming that top level coaches who coach professionals are wrong because they teach taking small hops and big jumps to clear distance, and in said jumps the head must move vertically. How much? Not too much. Less than your head moves, as a reference.

I also like the repeated ad hominem. Really makes me eager to reply with a respectful, well written post. /sarcasm

In case someone is really misunderstanding and assuming that I am talking about simulating a hurdle race during a rally :rolleyes:, refer to this video.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Following through across the body doesn't have anything to do with follow through height. Following through above the head means that you must follow through above the forehead. What is contradicting what?

For me the actual issue would really be:

1) Der_Echte made a good observation and a valid point and you jumped on the bandwagon like it was your point and added a bunch of extra baggage that was annoying not helpful in the least.

2) Then NextLevel made a different point that was valid about something else and, yes, again, you jumped on the bandwagon and made comments that were extraneous because NextLevel's comment stood on its own merit.

But, when I do these footwork/stroke drills I am actually not worried about he height of my followthrough. That part of my stroke when the ball is there is mostly not a problem. Although every so often my stroke is shallow. But Damien Provost has actually told me that is pretty okay when you have enough forearm snap in there. And when I do these footwork/stroke drills I am most focused on having the forearm snap in there as much as possible.

But Archo, feel free to find someone with a smart phone, and someone you can teach how to push long to random placement and show us you serving short, him pushing long to random placement and you looping the third ball.

Until then, when you comment on anyone's technique, I am probably going to have something to say about the stuff that sounds off and I will be specific.

Reactions: ttmonster and Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
3 video's demonstrating footwork on page at the bottom of page 2

I found it interesting that you often don't end your forehand stroke at the fore-head, and instead end your stroke under your chin a bit or around chin height. I don't know if this is incorrect to end your stroke there or not but the way my coach teaches stroke's, it wouldn't be possible to end here. I'll show you in a few days when I see you the difference in the way she taught it.

Your strokes look good in these video's so I don't want to critique what I don't know is right or wrong. Especially since there truly isn't a "correct" stroke as table tennis is pretty versatile.

EDIT: After reading through page 3 I see my comment has already been made, my bad.

Also since it's a footwork drill I'm not really worried about the follow through as much. We work on things one piece at a time, and everyone has little issues. For me to recommend that he ends somewhere else while he's focusing on footwork would be stupid.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Carl, that's good, and I'd want to get everyone's input to improve my own knowledge and play, but have you ever considered that perhaps you don't quite understand the gist of what I am talking about?

EDIT: And why would you NOT comment on something that is wrong if I have posted videos of me? Does the number of videos somehow increase truthfulness of what I say, not minding the videos' content? If I happen to be a pro player in disguise :rolleyes: and my technique is absolutely 100% textbook perfect, are my claims suddenly valid?

Do you understand the problem with that logic?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Carl, that's good, and I'd want to get everyone's input to improve my own knowledge and play, but have you ever considered that perhaps you don't quite understand the gist of what I am talking about?

EDIT: And why would you NOT comment on something that is wrong if I have posted videos of me? Does the number of videos somehow increase truthfulness of what I say, not minding the videos' content? If I happen to be a pro player in disguise :rolleyes: and my technique is absolutely 100% textbook perfect, are my claims suddenly valid?

The problem is that people are finding problems with your comments and advice. That's why video of you would be good. If we see that your strokes have good form we'd know there was something lost in the way we were interpreting what you say.

But what you do, is occasionally post things that contradict people, some of these people being high level coaches. So we are led to believe that you may not have as much experience as you let on.

Seeing you play in the future wouldn't make people stop listening to your advice, especially if it's damn good advice, but it would make us take what you say with a grain of salt. It would make us wait for others to comment as well instead of taking what someone who may not know what they're talking about and messing something up.

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Hey, look, it may be a language barrier and ttmonster may have a point about that. But you don't get that the way you post stuff is different than the way other people post stuff. And there is actually a reason why several people aside from me have expressed the opinion that, based on many of the comments you have made to several different people about technique in their videos, that you should actually post video.

Your claims that you can't, if you have access to the Internet, and you are talking such a good game about knowing so much about technique, at this point, you should figure out a way to post some footage. Any footage of you playing would work. And I think that the serve and receive footage I described would be ideal. Seeing how you move to randomly placed pushes to open your attack would be good. I know that is something I do decently well. And when higher level players see how well I do that, they realize it is safer to attack any of my backspin serves than to push and let me get the first opening.

Reactions: ttmonster and Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
But, when I do these footwork/stroke drills I am actually not worried about he height of my followthrough. That part of my stroke when the ball is there is mostly not a problem. Although every so often my stroke is shallow. But Damien Provost has actually told me that is pretty okay when you have enough forearm snap in there. And when I do these footwork/stroke drills I am most focused on having the forearm snap in there as much as possible.

Swinging shallow is more common in bent arm looping techniques, but the main reason why you want to avoid it as part of your core technique is that it in addition to providing less leverage and reducing proper topspin lift/arc on your strokes, it often takes the swing off the line of sight with the ball too early in the swing path unless you train regularly, making you more susceptible to missing tricky balls. Larger swing paths to the forehead or straight forward are akin to lines and while the human body is biologically circular, most TT strokes are supposed to be lines (with a few exceptions). Those strokes make quick recovery relatively harder because the elbow is further from the body.

In any case, a shallow stroke deviates form line of sight with the ball early. That said, people like Timo Boll and Mizutani can get away with it because of their forearm and wrist action and everyone does it in a pinch on easy balls they cannot move to so I would be the last person to make the rule sacrosanct, moreso given my level (that said, I got the advice from high level coaches, with one of them giving me the logic). I just try to avoid putting it into my base strokes or shadow strokes and recommend that people avoid it too as that was the biggest technical fix I made to my forehand that improved my confidence using it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Life is not logic, life is experience. IT's one of those things that young people who have to succeed in practical matters learn as they grow. Remember when you posted on ooakforum and I accused you of trolling? It had nothing to do with logic but everything to do with the fact that table tennis is not physics or math, where people present objective arguments that are validated. When you involve human beings, understanding the variability of human nature across various demographics becomes a key factor as does expertise in subject matter. Having learned or trained people to successfully do what one is trying to teach is important. People who do not demonstrate a certain level of expertise working with themselves or others often cannot relate to others who are trying to achieve same.

The reason why I tend to resonate well with adult learners is that I played as an adult. I started tournament TT only 5 years ago. I learned from a coach who mostly improved as an adult as well and he had already coached one adult student to USATT 2000 before working with me. Now he has coached two adults, two children and has a bunch of 1800+ successes who just need to do a few things here or there but may have one or two things missing from practice time to experience to health to temperament. I always caveat some of my statements as being limited by my perspective. On certain things, I doubt I could give a USATT 2200 player much insight. But on other things, I could. But that said, I don't play at a USATT 2200 level so I would not make the mistake of speaking confidently about that level. I like to believe that aspects of my technique are at that level, but that my mobility and lower body issues make it hard for me to demonstrate truly proper technique and I have to accept that I am not yet close. But since I have only been playing for 5 years, it is quite possible that it is a matter of experience and less a matter of anything tangible. Since my videos are out there, people are free to note my level.

I know a guy whose CNT bias drives me nuts. He is not even a high level player. That said, he feeds great multiball and he has been the primary coach of a 2100+ player (well, officially, 2000+, but I will give him the 2100+ because your eyes do not deceive you). He has also been the primary coach of an 1800+ player who would be 2000 imo if the player didn't let his CNT technical bias blind him to non-athletic technique that the player would be able to support with his physical build. But all that said, I respect the guy who coaches these students as well as the achievement of the students. He is a very popular poster on forums about technique and because he has helped people play better, he is always worth reading and listening to. We have had many debates as as my high level coach friend said, good coaches disagree all the time, so technical disagreement is not as big a deal as some think because there is often more overlap than disagreement. And he always reliably links to a CNT practice video whenever discussing anything, so that takes away the issue with 90% of the discussions about whether what he is saying is valid and what context he is speaking about.

But you often posts without referencing higher level video or coaches as sources for your opinions. It's like you want us to take what you are saying on its merits. Which unfortunately is not how anything that deals with human beings works. Objective criteria for dealing with human variation are very difficult to come by and apply at the individual level, so what we do is default to people with expertise in doing what others cannot. No doctor is going to prove to you his logic, he is going to give you medicine that has been shown to work in prior situations. Since you have not coached anyone by your own admission, nor have you tried to get others to improve and see how difficult it can be, your comments about many things sound extremely naive. You have coached yourself, but we cannot see your quality, so we cannot say whether your ideas work or not and you often want them to be your ideas given that you do not always ground them in links to the videos of others. IF you did that, we could then see whether your interpretation squared with ours and guess your level.

Of course there are players who try to kill the ball whenever the opportunity arises. But there are also players who realize that the kill comes with risk and therefore it is better to set up the opponent. And even players who kill the ball have to set up their opponents to get the chance to kill the ball. Those who remain limited in their ability to set up the opponent usually wonder why they never get better even with all their awesome kill strokes. Ideally, you want to be able to have consistent and powerful strokes for your level. But as you get better, what is powerful changes and what is consistent changes. These are all things that would be evident to anyone who has gone through the improvement cycle. If I play Carl, I might look like a 3rd ball genius who is blasting every ball with ease. But if I play Der Echte, then my serves become normal, my loops become blockable and my receives are rally snots. Even Ma Long becomes normal when playing Zhang Jike or Xu Xin because they have played him enough to know where the ball is going and to return his most deceptive serves properly.

So your hard earned experience acquiring TT knowledge is inseparable from your TT expertise for a variety of reasons, as is your experience trying to coach. Most coaches uncritically simply try to coach their students the way they learned. And if the student doesn't learn, they just say the student is untalented and let go. Coaches who are real teachers try to find innovative ways of teaching their students. This can be stressful but can also be very rewarding. If you look at the internet, in order to learn the reverse serve, Brett Clarke had me doing frisbee tosses with reverse serve motion to get the swing right. Some coaches will draw lines on the ground, use exaggeration techniques, put you through saturation training etc. All just to get you to learn.

There are people who will rightly say that I am just espousing USATT 2000 level ideas, and then ignore me - that is a proper response in some contexts as I may have nothing to offer the,. Then there are people who will say that wow, he got to 2000 as an adult and I want to, let me understand what he did and maybe I can do it too if I check those boxes.

So sometimes, when you write as if doing certain things is no big deal, it helps to know what you actually play like. Because if you play really well, your attitude becomes more understandable and it can then be tied back to your comments and your comments will be taken more reasonably as being founded in a lack of coaching experience or maybe just a personality defect. But as it stands now, some of the things you say sometimes just sound like someone who thinks that all human beings are clones of himself.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
video from a few years back

Your stroke looks just like another club member's stroke here. Do people consider you to be an awesome practice partner? I know his strokes are very pure and consistent so most people love playing or doing drills with him even though they may be a higher level.

Amazing post right above this one.

+100 for this post.

Last edited: