Should Englands coach have called a time out at 9-6 yesterday?

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Watching todays final, I watched how Liu Guoliang called time outs in both matches (XX v Mizutani, and ML's match) AS SOON AS he detected even the slightest hint of the Japanese gaining momentum, despite the fact the Chinese are clearly several levels better.

This begs the question, WHY didn't Englands coach call a time out at 9-6 with Liam leading to win yesterday? He made the same mistake against Gauzy the day before, although Liam managed to pull through that one.

Surely it is basics here - USE the time out tactically - its there for a reason - stop the opponents momentum, make them realise they are behind in a final game - and give your player some time to calm down, collect themselves, rather than playing on pure adrenalin? I am interested in hearing the members views - but personally, my opinion of the England coach is not great as a result.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Read 2 reviews
I honestly think that a time out won't change the result. The better player are better because they ALWAYS play better and win in this tight and crucial situation. How many times does Zhang Jike lose against foreign players at 9:9 in 7th set? It may seem to be just one point away but it take years of traning to capitalize that one point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Not sure at 9-6. But at 10-8 certainly. Why would you not want to interrupt the opponent when he has just saved two match points. Try and make him sweat on it a bit. It also surely gives you the chance to sort out what serves Liam should use. Definitely never serve long to the opponents forehand on match point. Dan has told us that a hundred times. Not sure if that serve was mis hit, but it was disasterous.

I was wondering why Liam didn't serve some balls from a more central serving position during that match anyway. When he was forced to do this by the foul service calls in the earlier match, it actually proved quite successful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Watching todays final, I watched how Liu Guoliang called time outs in both matches (XX v Mizutani, and ML's match) AS SOON AS he detected even the slightest hint of the Japanese gaining momentum, despite the fact the Chinese are clearly several levels better.

This begs the question, WHY didn't Englands coach call a time out at 9-6 with Liam leading to win yesterday? He made the same mistake against Gauzy the day before, although Liam managed to pull through that one.

Surely it is basics here - USE the time out tactically - its there for a reason - stop the opponents momentum, make them realise they are behind in a final game - and give your player some time to calm down, collect themselves, rather than playing on pure adrenalin? I am interested in hearing the members views - but personally, my opinion of the England coach is not great as a result.

2-1, 10-8, yes and definitely at 2-1, 10-9 after Liam served long into a Mizutani loop kill. That was the most perplexing thing - long serves are usually a sign of nerves. I think coaches are different and use timeouts differently. And Cook knows Pitchford better than we all ever will. All that said, I didn't get it and still don't.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
- long serves are usually a sign of nerves. .
or a sign of "I have no idea what to do, so maybe I serve long and my opponent miss the shot"

Why 9:6, next point went to Liam. He was on fire, but lost next two point. Then you have perfect situation 2 matchpoints, 2 serves and timeout. Why not taking time out to settle the stratege for last two point - ridiculous. Of course this is not the Liam fault, he was in the game and did not think much. This is the coach task.

Reactions: jedimasterplk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015

For me Yes, Alan Cooke should have called a time-out from 9-6 -> 9-9 to stop Mizutani growing in confidence. However, Pitchford could also have signaled for it.

Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
In the heat of battle, so to speak, especially a game that big - its easy to stop thinking tactically and just keep going on pure adrenalin. I believe that's what may have happened to Liam. Even if it wasn't, it IS THE COACHES JOB to have taken the time out. No guarantees it would have changed the result - but it would not have hurt. So the coaches fault all day long for me.
For me Yes, Alan Cooke should have called a time-out from 9-6 -> 9-9 to stop Mizutani growing in confidence. However, Pitchford could also have signaled for it.

This user has no status.
In either way, it must suck for Liam to lose both against Yoshimura and Mizutani with those golden opportunities in his hands. I would normally have called the time out if not the player specificially have stated that only he/she takes the time out (some players don't like when other persons takes the time out, due it makes them hesitate in them selves like "you don't belive I can handle this"). But I kinda doubt this was such a case.. They win like a team and lose like a team, no need to point fingers when they really did very well this WTTC:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
It should not be finger pointing. What is done is done. However if England want to get better and be the best they can, then I think they should pursue every source of marginal gain. This could have been done better and the lesson needs to be learned for future matches e.g. Olympics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
In the heat of battle, so to speak, especially a game that big - its easy to stop thinking tactically and just keep going on pure adrenalin. I believe that's what may have happened to Liam. Even if it wasn't, it IS THE COACHES JOB to have taken the time out. No guarantees it would have changed the result - but it would not have hurt. So the coaches fault all day long for me.

I agree, it was the coach's job to call the time out I was just pointing out that Liam could have done so if he wanted. All in all what an achievement by Team England, I don't think anyone would have predicted to reach the semi-finals.

Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
I agree, it was the coach's job to call the time out I was just pointing out that Liam could have done so if he wanted. All in all what an achievement by Team England, I don't think anyone would have predicted to reach the semi-finals.

Agreed