Vibration Property on Butterfly Matrix

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey guys,

Am I right in thinking that the "vibration" element to this is effectively "feel"?

"Reaction" looks like a straight swap for "speed" (I assume)?

With this being the case, what is the advantage to having more/less "vibration"?

I'm assuming my trusty Schlager Carbon would be at the very high end of the "vibration" scale - I really don't feel the ball much when playing (compared with the other set up's I've tried) - I appreciate rubber/sponge thickness play a part in this!

Cheers

http://www.butterflyonline.com/Templates/BladeSpecifications.pdf

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
so reaction property is like speed?
garaydia t5000 must be incredibly fast.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Yea, I was organizing a chart for a website because with butterfly's products they changed a bit and were using that table. I didn't know what to do with control section and the websites owner also was thrown off. We just threw the vibration information into the control part.

Each line on the chart represents a change in 10, so we make an educated guess when posting the speed of a blade somewhere between the marks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Thanks Shuki.

What are people's opinions on the pros and cons of a blade with "less vibration" - which is actually a higher number on the butterfly chart?

The 3 Garaydia blades all have little vibration (meaning you can't feel the ball as much) - Why have they introduced this for the new ball?

Vibration and control are pretty similar. Just imagine more vibration = more control. As you can feel the ball dig into your blade with more vibrations, you can get direct feedback to how much more you need to close your paddle or open it if you misread their spin. If your angle and stroke are good with a paddle that has a lot of vibration then the feedback that the vibration gives will tell you "nice shot!, heres some very comfortable vibration for you!"

Imagine someone hits a topspin stroke and you cover that ball doing your stroke and feel NO vibration. The ball flies off because you misread the spin and it was actually heavier than you thought. Unfortunately you never felt any vibration and you have to learn how much you need to adjust through some more trial and error, instead of that feeling.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Vibration and control are pretty similar. Just imagine more vibration = more control. As you can feel the ball dig into your blade with more vibrations, you can get direct feedback to how much more you need to close your paddle or open it if you misread their spin. If your angle and stroke are good with a paddle that has a lot of vibration then the feedback that the vibration gives will tell you "nice shot!, heres some very comfortable vibration for you!"

Imagine someone hits a topspin stroke and you cover that ball doing your stroke and feel NO vibration. The ball flies off because you misread the spin and it was actually heavier than you thought. Unfortunately you never felt any vibration and you have to learn how much you need to adjust through some more trial and error, instead of that feeling.

Ok, that makes sense.

That being said, the "control" element of the blade has been given a "9" (for the Garaydia ZLC) - But on the matrix, it has a high vibration number (meaning you can't feel the ball as much).

Are there ANY benefits to this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
the lower number on there is actually more control, that's correct.

Well a benefit to having the high number for them is "woah look how high this is on the spectrum! totally worth the 200$"
Newer blades with carbon tend to have less vibration but they're also more expensive. For butterfly rather than having their new blades say "This sick new blade has less control", they can say "This sick new blade has less vibration!"

Which sounds better to you? it's a marketing technique.

Also the carbon in the blades with little vibration can make a blade able to be just as fast as a fast all wood blade but be a bit lighter or softer. (thought i should add this in so I'm not just bashing on the carbon)

NDH

says Spin to win!
Ha, I'm well aware of the marketing tricks (along with the price hikes to go with said marketing tricks!).

Basically, I'm in the market for a slightly slower blade to improve consistency in loops and flicks from both wings.

I've pretty much had the Schlager Carbon forever, and have gotten on well with it.

I'm nervous about dropping too far away from it (say, to the Timo Boll ALC level of blade).

The Garaydia ZLC was recommended at the club I play at (but no one has one to try!).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

NDH

says Spin to win!
I've been thinking about this - I don't think "Vibration" can be simply replaced with "control".

If you look at the matrix, you've got the Viscaria, Zhang Jike, Zhang Jike ALC, Timo Boll ALC, Time Boll Spirit as one dot.

At the same speed or "reaction", you've got Zhang Jike ZLC and Timo Boll ZLC, along with the Jun Mizutani ZLC. However, these 3 blades have a higher "vibration rating" - Which, according to butterfly, means you feel LESS vibration.

Surely that can't translate to out and out control? If so, why would anyone even consider those blades (other than the different feeling of ZLC over ALC), and to a more extreme extent, why would anyone bother with the new Garaydia series which have only slightly higher speeds (ALC and ZLC), but SIGNIFICANTLY less vibration?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Ha, I'm well aware of the marketing tricks (along with the price hikes to go with said marketing tricks!).

Basically, I'm in the market for a slightly slower blade to improve consistency in loops and flicks from both wings.

I've pretty much had the Schlager Carbon forever, and have gotten on well with it.

I'm nervous about dropping too far away from it (say, to the Timo Boll ALC level of blade).

The Garaydia ZLC was recommended at the club I play at (but no one has one to try!).

Anyone have any suggestions?

I used amultart for quite a long time.
it's a very nice blade, super fast.
it's like a schlager carbon but softer.
the only problem was in the short game, but I used it with tenergy on both sides.

actually, I miss my amultart, do they still sell it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
The Garaydia ZLC has replaced the Amultart.

Its the one I'm eyeing up next!

haven't looked very closely but it seemed garadya series had thinner outer layer compared to primorac carbon, schlager, amultart, etc?
or is it just my impression?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I've been thinking about this - I don't think "Vibration" can be simply replaced with "control".

I totally agree with you. "Control" has always been a nonsense term, purely driven by marketing and the need to sell new blades. I'm glad Butterfly have got rid of it.

Vibration in this case is probably useful in giving some idea of blade stiffness, or how linear the power delivery is.

Here is a good article about blade design. Some of the info about vibration and which properties it can be related to is useful.

https://thoughtsontabletennis.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/introduction-to-table-tennis-blade-design/

This user has no status.
Agree.

For me, control just "epidemiological prevalence", how high the probability or next user say this blade or rubber is controllable. :)

It is like saying, Sriver control 8 means 8 out of 10 player shall like this rubber, assuming correct play style segment. :)

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

Reactions: AndySmith
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Agree.

For me, control just "epidemiological prevalence", how high the probability or next user say this blade or rubber is controllable. :)

It is like saying, Sriver control 8 means 8 out of 10 player shall like this rubber, assuming correct play style segment. :)

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

Ha - yes. Inversely proportional to the likelihood of immediately putting the rubber on eBay.

I was interested in this too and now it all makes sense to me.

"The vibration property is the quantified value illustrating the feeling of a blade on impact by measuring and quantifying the vibration speed. A low vibration property, in general, signifies slower vibration on ball contact and denotes a blade with a softer touch. A high vibration property, in general, means faster vibration of the blade on contact with the ball and indicates a blade with a harder feel."

In other words it's very much like the measured frequency. the higher number the stiffer the blade (to simplify). This makes sense because if You look in diagram the blades follow the diagonal pretty much from lower left to upper right. You see no blades in the lower right or the upper left corners.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: pilami
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
How is vibration measured in the Buttefly lab ?

I think I know the answer to this because SDC blades uses a similar parameter
Maybe Sergio can answer

Because the Butterfly x axis is backasswards i think

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Vibration and control are pretty similar. Just imagine more vibration = more control.
Nonsense. People have control. Any vibration you feel is energy that is in the blade and not returned to the ball and by the time you feel it the ball is long gone.

I have posted a video of my Toxic 5 hard bat. It vibrates a lot. It is also very slow and it doesn't have any control unless I control it.

BTW, I played with it this week against a double inverted player. I did well and it was fun.