NDH Looping with new Garaydia ZLC

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey guys,

Seeing as people seem to be in the mood for posting videos, I thought I'd join the party!

Excuse the poor quality, 1080p was taking a year and a day with my slow internet - You'll have to accept 720p!

For reference, I'm 6ft 4 (with a slight twinge in my back at the moment).

This is my first time using the Garaydia ZLC (which I'll blame for putting some of them in the net :) )

A second video from behind will follow shortly.....

Edit: 2nd Video Added

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W8llZBt10sA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KgNrjmHxYTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
I am 6 ft 1 and I can get nothing close to as low as you do. That you can control such rocket launchers is truly amazing.

You've spoken about why you can't though - and you've adapted your game to suit which is impressive.

As as for the speed - I found it much slower than what I'm used to. It's like driving s car for 250mph for years..... And then buying a new car which only goes 200mph...... It's still faster than most, but quite a bit slower than what you have become accustomed to.

Thanks for for the feedback though :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You've spoken about why you can't though - and you've adapted your game to suit which is impressive.

As as for the speed - I found it much slower than what I'm used to. It's like driving s car for 250mph for years..... And then buying a new car which only goes 200mph...... It's still faster than most, but quite a bit slower than what you have become accustomed to.

Thanks for for the feedback though :)
Not at all. Thanks for the kind words. IT would be interesting to see how you play a point with that kind of power and how you fit that in with your backhand. Do you loop on the backhand side?

NDH

says Spin to win!
Not at all. Thanks for the kind words. IT would be interesting to see how you play a point with that kind of power and how you fit that in with your backhand. Do you loop on the backhand side?

Yeah I do - I'm going to try and get some match play footage soon.

i took a step down in Power from the Schlager because I found too many opening loops going long (and the short game was tricky which allowed the opponent to get the first shot in).

I I also found myself fishing around the back of the court far too often. Mainly cause I enjoyed it, but you can only get so far doing that! So I'm trying to be more aggressive from now on!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
NDH , this is really nice. Ilia has a point , if you don't practice the reset hop, since you are using a very side on position for the forehand loop , you might have trouble looping on your backhand and end up blocking , unless you have very good anticipation or you end up playing far from the table.

Ilia, I am sorry but cannot completely agree with whoever has written this article. Let me explain to you why.
There are two things that help you move quickly or be in position :

1. The reset hop , this is very important and I was taught to do this by my coaches. But this DEFINITELY needs physical fitness . I have become 20 pounds heavier than what I was and I can barely play on five setter playing this way. This needs power from calf muscles and hamstring . So the assertion that heavier players can do this is not entirely correct.
2. Anticipation : This is what older and more experienced out of fitness players use. This is different . The god in this is mr. waldner and you must have seen his walking block :) . That is the reason he could last forever even with a bad back, this is why Samsonov is still giving Chinese players a run for their money.
To be even more constructive, this is what you need: http://tabletenniscoaching.com/node/2188

NDH

says Spin to win!
I try and play around mid to far distance from the table - I've got a big wingspan and can reach/loop at a stretch if need be.

I should probably improve my very close to the table play, but given my height and size, I find quicker players can exploit my weaknesses (into the body/elbow) much more if I'm trying to play close.

By dropping back a few feet, I can loop on both wings with speed, and generally play a more consistent game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I try and play around mid to far distance from the table - I've got a big wingspan and can reach/loop at a stretch if need be.

I should probably improve my very close to the table play, but given my height and size, I find quicker players can exploit my weaknesses (into the body/elbow) much more if I'm trying to play close.

By dropping back a few feet, I can loop on both wings with speed, and generally play a more consistent game.

Even if you're far away, you'd better move your feet, because losing balance destroys your strokes and makes them inconsistent. I'd even say that if you're far away from the table you have to move side to side even more and for larger distances because of the angled balls. People that don't move stay close to table and block. If you're tall, it doesn't prevent you from moving.

P.S. The feeling when you anticipate the ball well and make a jump to the side to move you into a perfect position for a forehand winner is just awesome. Not the shot itself, but the feeling of movement. Try it :)

Reactions: Guybrush123

NDH

says Spin to win!
Even if you're far away, you'd better move your feet, because losing balance destroys your strokes and makes them inconsistent. I'd even say that if you're far away from the table you have to move side to side even more and for larger distances because of the angled balls. People that don't move stay close to table and block. If you're tall, it doesn't prevent you from moving.

P.S. The feeling when you anticipate the ball well and make a jump to the side to move you into a perfect position for a forehand winner is just awesome. Not the shot itself, but the feeling of movement. Try it :)

You are correct.

I'm not sure if it's just because it was a looping drill and I was just subconsciously expecting the ball back in the same place.

Hopefully the the match footage will show better lateral movement...... Or it'll give me something to work on!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I would add that you strokes have a lot of spin and can be not easy to block during game play. But on the other hand you hit the ball quite late and that gives the opponent time to adapt and block the ball to your backhand.
I advise start first topspin closer to the table, and then when you are far hit the ball little bit earlier not from the ground.

NDH

says Spin to win!
at the end of the stroke your right shoulder never seems to follow the ball to the point where it gets closer to the table than the left one. why?

I'm not trying to hit the ball very hard.

If my right shoulder has followed so far that it is much closer to the table than my left, then (in my opinion), I've gone too far on my follow through (for consistent play).

If I was trying to go for speed, it would be slightly different, and you would probably see a slightly different look.

I also think, because this is just a drill, I'm getting more rotation on the body (left shoulder is starting much closer to the table, to allow more hip rotation) compared to match play where I'd be slightly squarer (to allow easier access to the backhand).