Rebooting rubbers

This user has no status.
I want to know if anyone has any advice concerning reboosting rubbers.

Scenario: I've got 41 degree h3. I'm going to soften the sponge with probably 2 thin layers of kalin oil.

After the booster wears off in about 30 days. I know I can safely reboost the rubber again with one layer of kalin.

My question: How many times can I reboost the rubber before it is no longer any good? If I reboost every 30 days, how many months will the rubber last? 3 months, 6 months, etc.?

This user has no status.
30 days is a long time. Does your booster really last that long? I used to get 2 weeks max out of kailin oil

Well I don't really know. This is my first time using kalin oil but from what I've read the affects last roughly 3 weeks. I was just assuming a month between boostings would be sufficient. But the same question applies. If the affects of the booster wear off in a couple of weeks, how many times can I reboost the same rubber?

This user has no status.
U can use Falco tempo long booster. It lasts for 2 months. But u should use 3 thin layers of it.

I've used falco long. I like it but it really swells the sponge. I'm looking for something that will not swell the sponge as much. From my research, kalin preserves much of the sponge firmness. And that's what I want to protect, the firmness of the sponge. That way, when the tuner wears off the rubber doesn't shrink as much. Falco long, when it wears off the rubber will not fit back on the blade properly (it's way too small)...especially euro spring sponge rubbers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
But that is the whole point of boosting :)

True to a certain extent. I might be wrong because I'm new to this boosting thing. But I thought the main reason for boosting was to enhance the speed and spin through the catapult affect given by booster oils. Which usually happens with an expanded sponge which adds tension to the topsheet. If I am correct and my research is correct, I've found that there are some boosters which preserve the firmness of the sponge more than others. Kalin is a booster that doesn't last as long as Falco Long but it also doesn't expand the topsheet as much. Nor does it render the rubber unusable after the booster affect has worn off.

My personal experience with falco long. Tg2 rubber was my first Chinese rubber. The cheap 20 neo version. I applied the "falco long" with about 3 layers. The sponge curled and swelled as it was supposed to. The rubber played great! Not one complaint! Excellent low loop drives! With a downward kick after hitting the opponents side! Falco did is thing. But when the booster affect wore off and I reboosted it. I knew for a fact that it was well beyond acceptable thickness. And this is the problem. I still want the rubber to be within the 4mm parameters for as long as possible. I believe kalin, which has a great affect, doesn't expand the sponge as much. Thus I may probably be able reboost it a few times before the sponge dies or expands beyond acceptable limits. That's the reason I made this thread. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience to share as to how many times can I reboost a rubber before the sponge gives out? I'm mainly speaking about h3 neo and regular h3 blue sponge.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Rebooting your rubbers? On the bottom of your blade there may be a switch with a label that looks like this I/O.

Push the button. Wait while your rubber reboots, it will make some beeps, and then you will be ready to go.

My equipment is more old fashioned. Can't find a switch anywhere.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Forgive me Kev, but I think you may be overthinking this whole thang. If you boost and it expands the sponge too much, you just use less boost oil. If you boost too much, you just let the rubber sit open and uncurl for longer. If you have a boosting oil that boosts less, it really is pretty much the equivalent of using less of the stuff that has a bigger effect.

If you are worried about the expand and shrink factor, you can cut the rubber before you boost so that the size of the rubber after it shrinks is the size for the blade. There are a number of ways you can do that. But if you are dealing with a rubber that gets bigger when you boost and shrinks when the boost wears off, you just are going to have to make peace with the fact that it will either be too big for the blade when boosted and shrink to the size of the blade when the boost has worn off. Or, it will fit the blade when boosted and be too small when the boost has worn off.

The advantage of the too small issue is that, you know when the rubber is really too small, it is time to reboost it.

Either way, try to have fun playing scientist with your rubbers.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Rebooting your rubbers? On the bottom of your blade there may be a switch with a label that looks like this I/O.

Push the button. Wait while your rubber reboots, it will make some beeps, and then you will be ready to go.

My equipment is more old fashioned. Can't find a switch anywhere.

I know right. That spell check thing so gets me sometimes. Lol "reboot" lol!!!!

This user has no status.
Forgive me Kev, but I think you may be overthinking this whole thang. If you boost and it expands the sponge too much, you just use less boost oil. If you boost too much, you just let the rubber sit open and uncurl for longer. If you have a boosting oil that boosts less, it really is pretty much the equivalent of using less of the stuff that has a bigger effect.

If you are worried about the expand and shrink factor, you can cut the rubber before you boost so that the size of the rubber after it shrinks is the size for the blade. There are a number of ways you can do that. But if you are dealing with a rubber that gets bigger when you boost and shrinks when the boost wears off, you just are going to have to make peace with the fact that it will either be too big for the blade when boosted and shrink to the size of the blade when the boost has worn off. Or, it will fit the blade when boosted and be too small when the boost has worn off.

The advantage of the too small issue is that, you know when the rubber is really too small, it is time to reboost it.

Either way, try to have fun playing scientist with your rubbers.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

I got you Carl. It's more a question of how long will the rubber last if I'm reboosting it every three to four weeks? Guess this is going to be of those trial and error things. Lol

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I got you Carl. It's more a question of how long will the rubber last if I'm reboosting it every three to four weeks? Guess this is going to be of those trial and error things. Lol

The real answer to that is you keep boosting it until it is dead. Everyone has a different tolerance for what a dead rubber is. H3 and TG3, most people who are not USDCarl can boost those suckas for at least a year, over and over and over and over. Der_Echte, he has been known to get a good 2 years out of an H3 that someone else used for 3 years before they threw it in the bin.

The only person I know who wears out H3 is me. Or, at least, I used to. The way I used to hit 4 years ago, I would wear a dead spot in the tackiness of the topsheet because of how I contacted the ball. In a way it was cool. I had this rubber that was very spinny everywhere except where I made contact for my FH. And where I made contact, it was kind of like antispin. So, if I hit outside of my contact point on my racket I would get lots of spin. But if I contacted where I normally would it would be very light spin, or if I made a passive shot on that area that had worn dead, the rubber responded like antispin. Drove the people I played crazy. :)

But H3 and TG3 last a long time. So you should be able to get at least 6-8 months off them, but you may actually get a lot more than that.

This user has no status.
//Der_Echte, he has been known to get a good 2 years out of an H3 that someone else used for 3 years before they threw it in the bin.//

Now that was funny! Thanks for the advice. I'm just going to figure it out as I go along. Tell the truth...you hollowed that rubber out on purpose didn't you Carl. Lol

Well honestly that's what I ultimately wanted to know and you answered it. Will the rubber last? I didn't want boosting the rubber repeatedly to kill the rubber. I'm really not trying to pay $$ for provincial or national h3 and they only last a few months. It's good to know that I can look forward to a lengthy relationship with my h3 topsheet.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
So how long did your hurricane 3 last after boosting every 2 weeks? I am interested to know about it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So how long did your hurricane 3 last after boosting every 2 weeks? I am interested to know about it.

The last time Kevin was on the forum was in November. He comes and goes. So, he may see this. But it may be 6 months from now when he does.