Michael Maze ends his career!

This user has no status.
So sad. The injuries were to heavy for another comeback...

Here his statement (also found on his facebook page)

michaelmazeretires.jpg

Source: tt-spin.de

What is your favorite Maze moment?

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Maze will be completely missed! He is a great character for table tennis and I hope he still gets involved in TT in one way or another. Maze attracts the audiences with his unique style of play and character. It must have been a very hard decision for Maze having recently tried to make a comeback at the Swedish Open. He will be missed!

My favorite Maze moment was against Hao Shaui in 2005. This was one of my earliest moments of Maze. The comeback, determination and inspiration to defeat Hao Shaui was sensational!

This user has no status.
too bad, his skills were insane and i agree that his injuries probably never allowed him to reach his full potential.

sadly, i don't see such a talented player becoming a coach. he could offer some inside elite level tactical advice, but other than that i'm prejudiced that the most talented players have the least potential to transfer their skills on anyone else.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah, this is definitely sad. I think, when he was healthy and playing well, he was one of the most exciting and talented players I have seen. But, as has already been said, he never was able to reach his full potential as a result of all the injuries. The table tennis world would have truly benefitted from a healthy and full career from Maze. There is no telling how good he could have been if he had stayed relatively injury free through his career.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
too bad, his skills were insane and i agree that his injuries probably never allowed him to reach his full potential.

sadly, i don't see such a talented player becoming a coach. he could offer some inside elite level tactical advice, but other than that i'm prejudiced that the most talented players have the least potential to transfer their skills on anyone else.

Liu Guoliang, Kong Linghui, Werner Schlager, Jörg Roßkopf... I'm sure that there are many others.

This user has no status.
Liu Guoliang, Kong Linghui, Werner Schlager, Jörg Roßkopf... I'm sure that there are many others.

liu guoliang was a master tactician as a player and seems to be a master psychologist, both traits make him an excellent coach for players who are already on the peak of their technical skill. i don't see maze as such a good tactician as liu, nor do i see him as master pyschologist. kong, schlager and rosskopf were all very "technical" players, and while they most certainly all had (or still have) immense talent, they didn't rely on raw talent and improvisation as much as maze or waldner.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Michael Maze was my favourite player. Always knew how to entertain the fans. I found this video tribute to him on YouTube and I thought I would share:

No one else quite like him, shame injuries ruined everything :(

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Michael Maze was my favourite player. Always knew how to entertain the fans. I found this video tribute to him on YouTube and I thought I would share:

No one else quite like him, shame injuries ruined everything :(

Great post. Thanks. I agree with all of it. I loved watching him. To me he was more entertaining when he was in form than any other player I can think of.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
liu guoliang was a master tactician as a player and seems to be a master psychologist, both traits make him an excellent coach for players who are already on the peak of their technical skill. i don't see maze as such a good tactician as liu, nor do i see him as master pyschologist. kong, schlager and rosskopf were all very "technical" players, and while they most certainly all had (or still have) immense talent, they didn't rely on raw talent and improvisation as much as maze or waldner.

I think Maze would make a great coach, but not likely to happen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
So sad. The injuries were to heavy for another comeback...

Here his statement (also found on his facebook page)

michaelmazeretires.jpg

Source: tt-spin.de

What is your favorite Maze moment?

I thought it was interesting to see him write he was hoping to play at the Olympic Games, don't quite know how he would have got in in Rio.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
do not fear tt enthusiasts, as long as I own a maze alc his memory will not die!!!