How to return long pure side spin Tomahawk serve to the BH as a Lefty

This user has no status.
How to return long pure side spin Tomahawk served to my BH as a Lefty

Hi im a Left handed player and I'm having difficulties returning the pure long sidespin Tomahawk serve (from a righty) to my BH. My BH loop is not perfect and I usually step around to take the service but is there a safer way to just push it? I heard that i have to touch the ball on the left side (My POV) but the angle is awkward from my BH side. Any tips and preferbly pics of where/ how i should contact the ball without looping? Txs

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
Ok, this isn't going to be the answer you want (sorry) - But if you are playing with JM ZLC and Tenergy 64 - You should just practice a simple backhand loop/flick for about an hour - You'll then be able to return the serve with no issues.

The general rule for countering spin is to mirror the arm motion of the opposition (to counteract the spin).

But you'll have much more success just simply top spinning this particular serve back.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Okay, so I don't know your level but normally tomahawk serves have enough spin to cause trouble to the server if you just managed to get it back low and with placement, you will need a strong loop with good timing if you want to loop it , I for once try to take the loop as late as possible . I am not sure why you are having trouble with the angle , using a regular block just a angled towards the right side of the ball ( from your POV ) should do it , you should just use soft hands and change the angle depending on how much spin there is.
Hi im a Left handed player and I'm having difficulties returning the pure long sidespin Tomahawk serve (from a righty) to my BH. My BH loop is not perfect and I usually step around to take the service but is there a safer way to just push it? I heard that i have to touch the ball on the left side (My POV) but the angle is awkward from my BH side. Any tips and preferbly pics of where/ how i should contact the ball without looping? Txs

This user has no status.
Okay, so I don't know your level but normally tomahawk serves have enough spin to cause trouble to the server if you just managed to get it back low and with placement, you will need a strong loop with good timing if you want to loop it , I for once try to take the loop as late as possible . I am not sure why you are having trouble with the angle , using a regular block just a angled towards the right side of the ball ( from your POV ) should do it , you should just use soft hands and change the angle depending on how much spin there is.

I can handle all serves including the tomahawk serve except when its long and fast to my BH. FH side and any short side i can take it . I did not get to practice this serve much but my mates tell me to hit it on the LEFT side and not the right to return it. If its the right side then I should have no problem. I say the angle is weird as I'm left handed and naturally the BH will hit the right side and not the left. The only way to hit the LEFT side is to side step and FH loop which i have no problem doing. Its just that I want to seek another alternative to return this serve instead of relying on sidestepping and FH looping it on my BH side.

This user has no status.
Ok, this isn't going to be the answer you want (sorry) - But if you are playing with JM ZLC and Tenergy 64 - You should just practice a simple backhand loop/flick for about an hour - You'll then be able to return the serve with no issues.

The general rule for countering spin is to mirror the arm motion of the opposition (to counteract the spin).

But you'll have much more success just simply top spinning this particular serve back.

Thats the goal in the LONG run. In the Short run i just want to return the ball nicely without sidestepping and using my FH to loop it over. When you say mirror angle of the server, How should i go about doing this if he is right handed and Im left? I can do it if the serve is short but if its long and fast to my BH its gonna be hard to angle my BH to mirror the serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thats the goal in the LONG run. In the Short run i just want to return the ball nicely without sidestepping and using my FH to loop it over. When you say mirror angle of the server, How should i go about doing this if he is right handed and Im left? I can do it if the serve is short but if its long and fast to my BH its gonna be hard to angle my BH to mirror the serve.

The angle is weird if you don't want to bend your wrist backwards or turn your body, but the advice is sound. Just re-orient your body slightly and do it. Or use your forehand to receive. OR get your elbow out well in front of you. That helps as well.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
When a right-handed player server does a pure side-spin FH tomahawk serve into a left-handed player' BH the resulting spin is essentially the same as if another left-handed player did a pure side-spin FH pendulum serve into a left-handed player' BH.

So do a BH flick or turn a bit and play a FH loop. The latter might be easier and produce better results.

This user has no status.
Txs for your Advice! Just practice this serve's return for 2 hours and now I have the answer. Still not as confident in BH looping it but I now sidestep to FH loop and contact the left side of the ball or I sort of push like a FH chop but contacting the left side instead of the bottom which pushes the ball to the opponents BH. Often surprising them as they are used to getting it to their FH