NDH Practice Match

NDH

says Spin to win!
Managed to get some highlights together from a couple of practice matches I had tonight.

Should be able to get the other videos up tomorrow, but here is the first (second should follow this evening).

Note: The chap I'm playing is a very "very" good coach - He's also a better player than myself.

This was filmed after 3 hours of practice.... Footwork was bad/lazy (mainly from me due to sheer tiredness).

Lastly.... You can now see my love for dropping back and fishing - It probably stems from inconsistency to attack quickly and well, my long arms being able to reach plenty at the back of the court, and my sheer enjoyment from doing so!

However, it's one of the things on my list to work on over the summer!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zfWguf13MME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

This second video is against someone who "officially" is ranked inside the top 500 Men in the UK. We've only played 1 game in competition (where I won 3-1), but again, I'd say he was a better player, certainly a better consistent attacker.

Neither of us played particularly well tonight, but it gives you guys an idea of standard at least!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HH2BC-uimkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Throws a lot of context into the mix seeing a few vids.

You are a better player than many of the US forum members. Your opponents looked to be very competent, 2200ish.

Many times I see players in England playing and it seems many like to play a bang it offensive game from distance, with many serves purposely going long to get into those kinda of rallies. Seems to be the flavor. Not making a negative comment.

Thanks for being brave and proud.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Nice videos. Fun to see. Your friend/opponent in the second video, I love how he puts a ton of topspin on everything so it is safe and yet still dangerous without him sacrificing readiness for what could come back. Good skills from both videos. But I especially like the play style of your opponent in the second video.

Thanks for posting.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Nice videos. Fun to see. Your friend/opponent in the second video, I love how he puts a ton of topspin on everything so it is safe and yet still dangerous without him sacrificing readiness for what could come back. Good skills from both videos. But I especially like the play style of your opponent in the second video.

Thanks for posting.

That's a guy whose ranking is going down with the plastic ball for sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

You are a better player than many of the US forum members. Your opponents looked to be very competent, 2200ish.

Many times I see players in England playing and it seems many like to play a bang it offensive game from distance, with many serves purposely going long to get into those kinda of rallies. Seems to be the flavor. Not making a negative comment.

Yes. There isn't enough short serving at the lower levels to contain the first attack. Not saying it would make a huge difference because these guys block and counter well, but it's always a good idea to see if someone is willing to fight for the first attack or not. No evidence of that in any of these videos. It was funny playing in England and my opponents (with one exception) complaining about the lack of rallies. I told them that if I rallied, I wasn't doing my job.

NDH

says Spin to win!
That's a guy whose ranking is going down with the plastic ball for sure.

Completely disagree - The balls are slower and less spinny for everyone..... Just because his play style is spin oriented, it doesn't automatically mean his ranking will drop (hint... it hasn't.... it's gone up).

NDH

says Spin to win!
Yes. There isn't enough short serving at the lower levels to contain the first attack. Not saying it would make a huge difference because these guys block and counter well, but it's always a good idea to see if someone is willing to fight for the first attack or not. No evidence of that in any of these videos. It was funny playing in England and my opponents (with one exception) complaining about the lack of rallies. I told them that if I rallied, I wasn't doing my job.

I'm not sure "lack of rallies" would ever both me - I play to win, as do 99% of my opponents - However ugly that may be!

That being said, I don't agree with the comment of "I wasn't doing my job".

I don't come across many people at the higher levels where you can simply play winner after winner and not rally - Of course, if I was playing someone of a lower standard, I could 3rd ball kill, and 4th ball kill off their service - But where's the fun in that?

I find it amazing that people would actually complain about the rallies, unless you were going for big shot after big shot and missing?

Rallies are part of the game - If I'm doing my job right, I win them..... I don't expect to go into a match and not fight to win points.

NDH

says Spin to win!

Thanks Der_Echte - I'm not sure I've seen any of your vids?

I think it's good to add some insight into the keyboard warrior in us all!

Yes, you can have seriously good advice, know the game back to front, know how to play all the shots and advise accordingly........ But not be very good yourself (such as coaching American Football), but it's unlikely.

We should have a thread where we can post vids of us playing/training!

Regarding the "English" style - The older generation were certainly more "bang bang" - The younger generation have been taught a more spin orientated attacking game.

Reactions: Suga D

NDH

says Spin to win!

Thanks for posting.

Thanks Carl - It was your videos that made me think I should get in on the video action!

Dan (the second video), has a better win percentage than me in the Premier Division, and would generally beat better players than myself.

When we played against each other in a different league, I took the ball very early, kept him pinned back, and hit through his slower loops (something I didn't do in these videos!).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Completely disagree - The balls are slower and less spinny for everyone..... Just because his play style is spin oriented, it doesn't automatically mean his ranking will drop (hint... it hasn't.... it's gone up).

The injuries just haven't set in yet - we can revisit in a year or two.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'm not sure "lack of rallies" would ever both me - I play to win, as do 99% of my opponents - However ugly that may be!

That being said, I don't agree with the comment of "I wasn't doing my job".

I don't come across many people at the higher levels where you can simply play winner after winner and not rally - Of course, if I was playing someone of a lower standard, I could 3rd ball kill, and 4th ball kill off their service - But where's the fun in that?

I find it amazing that people would actually complain about the rallies, unless you were going for big shot after big shot and missing?

Rallies are part of the game - If I'm doing my job right, I win them..... I don't expect to go into a match and not fight to win points.

You are right, and these are highlights so it might be missing. But the point is that none of these serves tested your ability to attack over the table and the one or two in the highlights that came short were consistently pushed deep, with very few pushed short. Again, this is a matter of style, and I can see enough to say that long pushing is a decent strategy for you.

NDH

says Spin to win!
The injuries just haven't set in yet - we can revisit in a year or two.

Lol - This "plastic ball causes injuries" thing is ridiculous - We've been using them for 2 years so far (no "ball related" injuries to report).

Are you telling me you think his style, is more likely to cause him injury with the new ball, and therefore his ranking will drop?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
I watched your match.
Do you think you can beat me while I am using my fake zjk superzlc?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Lol - This "plastic ball causes injuries" thing is ridiculous - We've been using them for 2 years so far (no "ball related" injuries to report).

Are you telling me you think his style, is more likely to cause him injury with the new ball, and therefore his ranking will drop?

I am saying that the amount of spin you get with the plastic ball is significantly less and that trying to get it to the same level with celluloid exposes you to injuries, yes. I would be seriously surprised if he hasn't experienced that people are countering his openings much more easily. It's more likely he is getting better because of relative youth/experience and adaptation, rather than because his old style is as viable as it used to be.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Feel free to post some video of yourself, and I'll let you know.

1-this is a competitive match
2- i have never played against this player before, i never even exchanged a few balls with him
3- this is with plastic ball, at the time I was using celluloid 100% of the time
4- I had no warm up whatsoever, just hello, 2 minute warmup and 1st set.
5- I'm the guy who has more hair.
6- at the time I was using a real zjk alc.
fake blades I think give me more power...

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!

1-this is a competitive match
2- i have never played against this player before, i never even exchanged a few balls with him
3- this is with plastic ball, at the time I was using celluloid 100% of the time
4- I had no warm up whatsoever, just hello, 2 minute warmup and 1st set.
5- I'm the guy who has more hair.
6- at the time I was using a real zjk alc.
fake blades I think give me more power...

You know what, I think we'd have a good game! If you're ever in the UK, let me know!

We've already established that we both have self belief - And I don't think there is enough difference either way from the videos to claim either of us would "definitely" win (although I'm sure you think you'd beat me, and I think I'd beat you! :D)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
You know what, I think we'd have a good game! If you're ever in the UK, let me know!

We've already established that we both have self belief - And I don't think there is enough difference either way from the videos to claim either of us would "definitely" win (although I'm sure you think you'd beat me, and I think I'd beat you! :D)

I was already in uk...
this is a club in london.
http://www.tabletennisfightclub.com/#alt-members

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Ha, what a website - Very dramatic!

So are you in the UK at the moment?

Are you from Argentina??

yap, from arg, right now in somewhere close to france, germany....
maybe the path will lead to uk again, who knows.

Last edited: