TTBelgiumHistory 1984-2008

Philippe was technically most skilled. He could make things seem much easier than his brother. The fact that Jean-Mi has been Belgian champion 25 times and was absolutely world top in the same period as Philippe speaks volumes. Why he never reached the same level as his brother was clear, for him this was a (fun) game, for Jean-Mi a livelihood.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I agree with Yoass,

It's not like Philippe never trained, in the end he did the same trainings as JM and had the exact same chances.
It is just that Philippe excelled more the in the touch play and finesse and JM's strength was power and physicality.

But people always tend to credit the "Artists" of the game more. That discussion is of all times.

You can see it now for example with Koki Niwa. I'm a huge fan of him and every match he plays is great to watch. His touch and feeling are one of the best in the game.
But that doesn't mean he is the best player in the world right now.
People always have a soft spot for players like that(So do I) but often gives them also too much credit.

I am also a big fan of Koki Niwa. What he does always looks easy. Technically very gifted. Still, I fear he will become top three someday. I regularly find that he wants to make “playful points” in his matches where it would be better to play a point tactically.
Philippe did the same thing.

Last edited:
And if we remember Thierry Cabrera! ...
Very spirited player. There was always a lot of enthusiasm behind the table when he was allowed to play.
Always stood in the shadow of the only real number 1 in Belgium, J-M-Saive.
He also had a brother, Luc, who was blessed with a more than exceptional ball feeling, but unfortunately he was never the counterpart of his brother Thierry due to his physical condition.
Great to see him play here again. [emoji1360]

This user has no status.
Ha Ha :D Thank's ! :)

Do you have something when Philippe Saive was playing in Royal smash Pantheon Bruxelles with Hugo Hoyama, Peter Jackson and another young player from NZ? It was around 93 I think, I've played there one season