Who do you think will win the Qatar Open 2016?

• Ma Long

Votes: 28 58.3%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

• Vladimir Samsonov

• Marcos Freitas

• Other (Post Below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Results Updated

Men

Round 16:

Ma Long 4-1 Tang Peng
Wong Chun Ting 4-1 Chuang Chih Yuan
Dimitrij Ovtcharov 4-0 Jakub Dyjas
Andrej Gacina 2-4 Zhang Jike
Xu Xin 4-1 Li Ping
Marcos Freitas 0-4 Jun Mizutani
Vladimir Samsonov 4-1 Alexander Shibaev
Benedikt Duda vs 0-4 Zhendong

Quarter Final:

Ma Long 4-0 Wong Chun Ting
Dimitrij Ovtcharov 4-2 Zhang Jike
Xu Xin 4-2 Jun Mizutani
Vladimir Samsonov 2-4 Zhendong

Women

Round 16:

Liu Shiwen 4-0 Lee Ho Ching
Petrissa Solja 4-2 Feng Tianwei
Chen Szu-Yu 4-3 Cheng I-Ching TPE
Yu Mengyu 1-4 Zhu Yuling
Ai Fukuhara 3-4 Tue Yana
Yui Hamamoto 1-4 Li Xue
Han Ying 4-0 Seo Hyowon
Jeon Jihee 0-4 Ding Ning

Quarter Finals:

Liu Shiwen 4-0 Petrissa Solja
Chen Szu-Yu 0-4 Zhu Yuling
Tie Yana 4-1 Li Xue
Han Ying 0-4 Ding Ning

Reactions: noelito3 and Suga D
Administrator
Oct 2010
Semi Final Schedule:

Men

Ma Long vs Dimitrij Ovtcharov (9.40am GMT)
Xu Xin vs Zhendong (10.30am GMT)

Women

Liu Shiwen vs Zhu Yuling (8am GMT)
Tie Yana vs Ding Ning (8.50am GMT)

Reactions: noelito3 and Suga D
I dont think ZJK was throwing the match, he moves so fast in the first two set. then after that he made so many errors and misses on his forehand.

and somehow he don't use the reverse pendulum serve as much as before, is it due to new ball or because of his injury?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I dont think ZJK was throwing the match, he moves so fast in the first two set. then after that he made so many errors and misses on his forehand.

and somehow he don't use the reverse pendulum serve as much as before, is it due to new ball or because of his injury?

Funny. I observed the same thing in Dubai Open. He started doing the reverse pendulum more often from the third game on.
In the first games he mostly used the ghost serve and the pendulum.
I was wondering if LGL told him to do so...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think the wide forehand is affecting his lower back, just a hunch, so he is avoiding initiating an exchange that might end up being a forehand , forehand rally . If you see, most of his receives are in a way so that he can initiate backhand to backhand exchange and most of the time he gets a forehand , he tries to go down the line unless its over the table forehand. He also has problems with the ball on the switchover point , he is doing an all arm loop , which he never did before. Something is seriously wrong with his fitness, I bet if he was not a CNT player he would have retired by now.... we may expect something similar if he does not get selected for Olympics ...

... just to emphasize more .. this is my personal guesswork from looking at how is playing these days. Unless his serve receives are super strong he is not able to get away with his current game. He knows the serves of most of the CNT players and thats why he can figure out a way around them, but with Dima , he is not playing him all the time and its tough to do a short receive of his high sidespin serves that cannot be looped over the table..

Last edited:
Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I think the wide forehand is affecting his lower back, just a hunch, so he is avoiding initiating an exchange that might end up being a forehand , forehand rally . If you see, most of his receives are in a way so that he can initiate backhand to backhand exchange and most of the time he gets a forehand , he tries to go down the line unless its over the table forehand. He also has problems with the ball on the switchover point , he is doing an all arm loop , which he never did before. Something is seriously wrong with his fitness, I bet if he was not a CNT player he would have retired by now.... we may expect something similar if he does not get selected for Olympics ...

... just to emphasize more .. this is my personal guesswork from looking at how is playing these days. Unless his serve receives are super strong he is not able to get away with his current game. He knows the serves of most of the CNT players and thats why he can figure out a way around them, but with Dima , he is not playing him all the time and its tough to do a short receive of his high sidespin serves that cannot be looped over the table..

Nice analysis. Interesting... That could be a good point you have. Besides that Dima's probably been analysing the whole week consciously and subconsciously, what needed to be changed from last week's match.
I wonder if Ma Long's gonna blow him off the table again, or if Dima will be able to take a couple of games from him this time...
We soon gonna see.

:)

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Ma Long vs Dima will be interesting , Ma Long does blow out people who publicly let out a war cry. Remember how he celebrated his win in the WTTTC after Jun Mizutani said that Japan is going to crash the party :p . Dima has gone on record saying that he considers Ma Long to be his opponent and its his goal to play well and beat him , but then that might not be as in your face comapred to what Mizu said ..
Nice analysis. Interesting... That could be a good point you have. Besides that Dima's probably been analysing the whole week consciously and subconsciously, what needed to be changed from last week's match.
I wonder if Ma Long's gonna blow him off the table again, or if Dima will be able to take a couple of games from him this time...
We soon gonna see.

:)

Administrator
Oct 2010
NOW LIVE: The semi finals of the Qatar Open have commenced! Ma Long vs Dimitrij Ovtcharov at the Qatar Open! What a battle this will be! Join us in the live streaming and chat here: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/livestreaming/

Cei3nBOXEAAZJVs.jpg:large

Reactions: Kevin Geraldy