new rubbers for complete amateur

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Hi everyone ,

I've been playing table tennis since 2009 - only for fun with my friends. Right now I'm 17 .

In September 2015 I decided to train 4x week and I'm seeing progress.

I didn't have any racket so my coach gave me one. As I learned new shots I realized that rubbers are very old. I saw that I lost couple of matches because of my rubbers ( I couldn't create a lot of topspin and serve well)

Speed of rubbers are fine but I can;t create a lot of spin.

Right now I'm playing in amateur's league in my city - I'm pretty much beginner.

My rubbers are: backhand - global 999 national / forehand - some tibhar rubber with more spped and spin than global rubber

My question is - can someone recommend me some rubber that will be:

on backhand - a little bit more slower and softer , with more control but II can create as much spin as on forehand side ??

on forehand - rubber a little bit faster than backhand side , something that I can create pretty much the same amonut of spin that on backhand ????

I can spend 50 euros on these two rubbers . Thank you very much . PEACCEEEEEEE

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I'd like to get two different rubbers - softer on backhand and faster on forehand so I think is bad idea.

Coach said me that these rubbers that I'm playing are 3 years old.

Is it good idea to buy the same rubbers ?? These rubbers are very damaged but I can generate good amount of topspin already .

If I get exactly the same rubbers but new ones I'll be able to generate much more topspin than when I was using 3 years old rubbers ???

NDH

says Spin to win!
I'd like to get two different rubbers - softer on backhand and faster on forehand so I think is bad idea.

Is it good idea to buy the same rubbers ?? These rubbers are very damaged but I can generate good amount of topspin already .

If I get exactly the same rubbers but new ones I'll be able to generate much more topspin than when I was using 3 years old rubbers ???

Any rubber you get now will be 10 times spinnier than 3 year old dead rubbers.

Word of warning though..... The reason beginners get the same rubber on both sides is so they can develop the correct technique on both sides. 99% of beginners quickly develop a stronger forehand than backhand - That isn't the time to change equipment to accommodate your weaker side - You should work on it until it is as strong as the rest of your game.

Once you can make all the shots on both wings, you'll find a rubber that suits both your Forehand and Backhand - But in my opinion, you'd be wrong to do that now.

This user has no status.

Yes, buy newer sheets of the same rubbers and BTW Globe National is meant to be boosted. But don't do so haha
That is a good rubber for stroke development, once you develop your strokes your body will tell you If you are ready for a more advanced setup :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
50 Euros, to include tax and shipping is too low a realistic budget for two modern rubbers.

You could compromise and try to get something less expensive and workable for one side, say BH side which requires more control than anything, and spend less money.

In Europe, this means a rubber like Nittaku Magic Carbon, a very controllable allround rubber. TT11.com sells it for €19.08

This lets you spend a little more money on your FH rubber, but the remaining amount of around €25 to leave room for shipping and VAT tax limits your options a lot. There are still very serviceable rubbers you can buy new for that price that will work on your FH wing, but you will not get a top rate modern rubber.

It makes sense to get everything from the same vendor and look around.

TT11.com shows a few decent FH rubbers for under €25...

Tibhar 1Q is €24.92 and is actually a real true modern rubber. Likely the best choice at that price point, but there are a few other decent options.

Juic Nanospin €23.75
Tibhar Grip S Europe €22.50

Then you got a whole host of Chinese rubbers, tacky and non-tacky to look at.

Tibhar1Q for FH and Nittaku Magic Carbon on BH will be a great combination on most blades for an allround offensive game. With Tax and shipping, that combo will likely go a little over €50, but not by much. You are looking at €45 for the rubbers before VAT and shipping.

Normally, you are looking at €80 or more for two quality modern rubbers shipped, so getting something like the combo I suggested for low €50s is about as good as you will get at that price point. You could always go for a Chinese rubber you like for FH, if it fits your style of play and prolly come in at around €45 delivered.

I do not think it is worth trying to skimp on the rubbers any more than my suggestion.

Personally, I used a very controlable rubber on BH for years that cost €6 (XP 2008 Super Power) and currently use a €20 rubber on BH (Nexy Elpis) You could get two of those from Nexy Europe, but you want understandable different rubbers.

In concept, I say one could get by on BH wing WITHOUT a very modern rubber at your level and mine. FH rubber is a lot more important and a decent inexpensive allround rubber on BH frees up some money to get more quality for the FH.

One has to be realistic about the money and value you get, then make decisions.

You may be able to look around and find a vendor with some stuff that works on sale, but you understand the process I am trying to lead you to.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Joola UPP (19,90€)
Joola 4 You (14,90€)
Joola 4 All (12,90€)

If they are available to you buy two Joola 4 All for less than 26,00€. Cheap and solid rubbers.
Also I know players with a TTR of 1700 playing two Joola UPP.

My question is - can someone recommend me some rubber that will be:

on backhand - a little bit more slower and softer , with more control but II can create as much spin as on forehand side ??

on forehand - rubber a little bit faster than backhand side , something that I can create pretty much the same amonut of spin that on backhand ????

If you are a "complete amateur" then those wishes don't matter at all.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Thanks for the answers and support.

But I have one more question to you.

I would like to save some extra money and buy some good quality rubbers but like I said I have only 50 euros. But I must change both of my rubbers because they are near to death.

I decided to buy some very cheap and decent quality rubbers under 10$ - I will play with these rubbers for only 6 months and after that I will buy some rubbers that you recommend me .

Can you help me with choosing these cheap rubbers ??

I did a reseach and couple rubbers under 10$ caught my attention:

whick one from that list will be the best for backhand and forehand ????

- palio cj8000

- friendship ritc 729-5

- ritc 729 fx super soft

- dawei 2008 xp superpower

- globe 999

If you know any other rubbers that are good and under 10$ please tell me .

Thank you for all support . PEACEEEEEEEEEE

This user has no status.
ill put it this way. 729FX super in black is a good FH rubber similar to H3 normal but a tad softer and slower. 999 is like H3 also, both are good but only i'd use for FH. 729 super soft is ok on the backhand but still tacky so quite spin sensitive. ive not used the dawei palio but i have used 729-5 not owned and it seemed good backhand. personally i'd go with globe 999FH 729-5 BH. i personally like chinese FH rubbers and how using a sriver or tenergy FH hurts my game. but remember i'm not that good i've only weighing in as i have used a lot of those rubbers.

good luck with your purchase

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I recommend you to use tacky (usually chinese) rubber on both sides. Tacky rubbers are sensitive to spin and that's what a beginner need: learn to read the spin (OK, I think this is what a beginner need). 729 Super FX is quite good, this was my first rubber (along with unboosted Skyline II). 2.0 or 2.2 would be the best. 729 isn't fast and a thinner sponge would force you to use full power on every shot (which isn't good). I tried the super soft only for a few minutes, it also can be good. Avoid the Sriver and similar 'easy to play' rubbers:they don't have too much spin, give you bigger margin of error (which makes you more effective in the first times, but it slows down your development) and they are less durable.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I recommend you to use tacky (usually chinese) rubber on both sides. Tacky rubbers are sensitive to spin and that's what a beginner need: learn to read the spin (OK, I think this is what a beginner need). 729 Super FX is quite good, this was my first rubber (along with unboosted Skyline II). 2.0 or 2.2 would be the best. 729 isn't fast and a thinner sponge would force you to use full power on every shot (which isn't good). I tried the super soft only for a few minutes, it also can be good. Avoid the Sriver and similar 'easy to play' rubbers:they don't have too much spin, give you bigger margin of error (which makes you more effective in the first times, but it slows down your development) and they are less durable.

I have to disagree with this completely (although I appreciate it's just an opinion).

What you DON'T want as a learner, is rubbers which are really sensitive to spin! You need to learn the strokes properly, and you can only do this if you have more time on the ball - Something sensitive rubbers don't give you.

Once you have developed as a player, you can buy individual rubbers to suit your style of play - But there would be no point in buying a really slow backhand rubber now, just because your backhand is weak - If that was the case, you'd never improve it, and it would be a weak shot for years.

Out of the list you sent, I'd recommend the Palio all day long.

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I have to disagree with this completely (although I appreciate it's just an opinion).

What you DON'T want as a learner, is rubbers which are really sensitive to spin! You need to learn the strokes properly, and you can only do this if you have more time on the ball - Something sensitive rubbers don't give you.

Once you have developed as a player, you can buy individual rubbers to suit your style of play - But there would be no point in buying a really slow backhand rubber now, just because your backhand is weak - If that was the case, you'd never improve it, and it would be a weak shot for years.

Out of the list you sent, I'd recommend the Palio all day long.

I see your point and probably we'll never know which way is the right way. Or there isn't a right way, just different ways. What made me to recommend tacky rubbers is that I see a lot of kids who's technique seems to be perfect, but they can't use it properly, because they can't read the spin. E.g: they use the same flick on pure backspin and sidespin shots. They know the strokes but can't use. After all, practice is what really matters, so everything depends on you, maloxu82. If you can't decide 729 FX Supersoft and LKT Pro XP/XT are good trade-offs.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
What made me to recommend tacky rubbers is that I see a lot of kids who's technique seems to be perfect, but they can't use it properly, because they can't read the spin. E.g: they use the same flick on pure backspin and sidespin shots. They know the strokes but can't use.

Well, then those kids have perfect requirements to become very good sometime. There is nothing more important than a solid technique, unfortunately this is the most difficult thing to achieve too. If those kids have that perfect technique it will be a breeze to learn to be able to read spin and use their perfect strokes one day as well.

All this discussion is useless. As a beginner you neither need very tacky rubbers nor very fast ones. Additionally, you don't want to play with very thin ones, someone suggested 1,5mm on backhand, I would not recommend that. All you need is a pair of solid 1,8 / 1,9mm rubbers that are not too fast. It does not matter if you pay 10$ or 30$ for one of them, you can get what you want for either price.

We never talked about your blade I think. I hope you have a suitable one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Well, then those kids have perfect requirements to become very good sometime. There is nothing more important than a solid technique, unfortunately this is the most difficult thing to achieve too. If those kids have that perfect technique it will be a breeze to learn to be able to read spin and use their perfect strokes one day as well.
Learn to read the spin and learn the strokes aren't mutually exclusive things. 729 Super 2.0 and 2.2 are nor very fast, nor very slow.
Howgh, I've spoken.

This user has no status.
Learn to read the spin and learn the strokes aren't mutually exclusive things. 729 Super 2.0 and 2.2 are nor very fast, nor very slow.
Howgh, I've spoken.

he asked specifically about super soft not super FX, super soft is a much slower rubber rated on many websites as defensive, its easy to make the mistake tho....
2.0 super soft is slower or the same as 1.5 sriver EL but still a good rubber i prefer FAST blades with it.