new rubbers for complete amateur

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I get your point Loopadoop, I have seen such advise given first hand to one kid in India. In that case I had played with the coach and while the coach had a fabulous forehand , he himself did not have a backhand game and I guess would not have been able to teach the kid correct backhand technique and its nuances.

Now, the scenario you described above is different where going from hardbat backhand to anti backhand would not take too much of an adjustment and he could focus on forehand.

However, in the modern fast paced game, where an youngster is starting out to learn, he or she will be severely impaired if they start off with anti on the backhand. Imagine, the adjustment in ball judgement and technique he or she will have to do when the coach finally decides to teach him backhand. And, its always difficult to unlearn and re-learn correct technique which gets set in the mind , especially in case of beginners.

Also, the person might totally stop trying to understand spin and receive and block everything with his backhand.

Well, I coached a senior in his mid 50's who was playing at about USATT 500 rating skill level using a generic hard bat paddle. He was playing all BH with no 4H. He didn't even understand the basics of spin. I designed a paddle for him 4H 729 BH anti. In 12-16 months he is 1600+ level with a very good 4H. He doesn't have a service return problem. He is now starting to counterloop on his 4H.

says what [IMG]
I fell into the trap of only developing only my forehand, to the point where I was basically just a very confused one sided J-pen looper in a shakehand body. :rolleyes:

Then I got a backhand loop. Now I can play backhand loops from my reverse backhand with penhold, too. It hasn't impaired my learning, more so the complete opposite. Ability to handle incoming spin and create my own has increased significantly because I can open with heavy spin from my backhand, or play spinny touch shots and flicks.

It didn't go like that because I "wasn't ready" or anything, and I wasn't blocking on my backhand like I had anti on it on purpose. I didn't know better. The only way to get out of it was with a long, close look at backhand technique and learning it.

Putting anti on someone's backhand so they don't need to think about it seems like an offense that should be punishable by law, if the person is any willing to learn backhand spin technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Different Philosophies ..... my philosophy is very efficient at increasing your skill level in the shortest period of time.

Depends on your goals, motivation, age, available time, etc.

Another example is Woody Stump, see his timeline page on Facebook, read the November 4 2015 post and the 7 Comments for his training and development. He put long pips on his BH. His goal is a 2300-2500 4H within 18 months. He might make it.

His development has been very efficient. He plays at a much lower level If he uses inverted on his BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Different Philosophies ..... my philosophy is very efficient at increasing your skill level in the shortest period of time.

Depends on your goals, motivation, age, available time, etc.

Another example is Woody Stump, see his timeline page on Facebook, read the November 4 2015 post and the 7 Comments for his training and development. He put long pips on his BH. His goal is a 2300-2500 4H within 18 months. He might make it.

His development has been very efficient. He plays at a much lower level If he uses inverted on his BH.

Is this 'Woody Stump' a fictional character (judging by his name he might as well be)? There is no player with that name in USATT database, and no one with similar name is even close to the rating he might have today if he's indeed making an efficient progress. Also, what does it even mean to have '2300 forehand'?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
We will talk when he gets an official USATT rating ...

There is nothing called 2400 forehand and 3000 backhand . There is a reason why a person is given a rating and not his strokes :)

With the current style you are describing , he is going to top off at 2000 max. I have a friend who actually switched to anti on the backhand even though he had a decent backhand and a very powerful forehand and is a lefty , he is very atheletic and strong , he used to be an international level cyclist and he was able to reach 2100 , I am talking about somebody is very powerful and very serious about the sport , trains a lot and has very good strategic sense about how to compete ...

.. and the rating he got is playing as an adult in south bay california where 2000 level juniors grow on trees :)

Woody Stump is a fictional name but the person playing is real.

He is stepping over on the BH now to loop cross court and down the line.

Overall his rating would be 2000 - 2200 when his 4H is fully developed due to LP BH.

Last edited: