Transferring skills from practice to games

says what [IMG]
I just have to ask this question: Where in the world is the "like" button for these posts??? I've been searching all over my laptop screen at home, my desktop screen at work and even on my cell phone for weeks! I even had my friends looking for it but can't find this darn "like" button! It's driving me up a wall....Please help :D

http://i.imgur.com/YpFvsLW.png

Reactions: Avenger
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I just have to ask this question: Where in the world is the "like" button for these posts??? I've been searching all over my laptop screen at home, my desktop screen at work and even on my cell phone for weeks! I even had my friends looking for it but can't find this darn "like" button! It's driving me up a wall....Please help :D

It only appears on your 6th post. Look for it now at the bottom of any post.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and Avenger
This user has no status.
Hi
I've gone through the process of playing fine in practice and not translating into If you look at sone of my older blog posts, you feel my frustration coming off the page !!!
www.andycouchmantabletennis.wordpress.com
Please send me message
Regards
Andy

Last edited:
I also carry a notepad and take notes: one for what I did correct, what my opposition did, and what improvements I can make. Also scores. I find this helpful the next day to reflect on areas to work on for improvements. You will find the scores useful after 6+ months as they get tighter (meaning you are improving).

Your already taking the first step by posting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I also carry a notepad and take notes: one for what I did correct, what my opposition did, and what improvements I can make. Also scores. I find this helpful the next day to reflect on areas to work on for improvements. You will find the scores useful after 6+ months as they get tighter (meaning you are improving).

Wow, you're serious. Keep playing and taking notes for a year, improvement will be significant.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Great idea

Yes it's a very good idea, I'm also now making detailed notes immediately after matches and if i can, videoing the match too

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
So I finally got to play people yesterday since starting this thread. In the interim I tried to prepare for that by speeding up the robot (increased throwing frequency and increased sweep frequency and increased the sweep angle).

My goal was "READ, PLAN, DO", but mainly, to WATCH what the other guy was doing.

The results were:
- READ: total failure. I am absolutely not able to "read" what the opponent might do, there is just not enough time. Even if I were to stop and watch I don't think I can tell where he is going to hit it.

- PLAN: here I had considerable success! Just watching them allowed me to see how they usually return a particular serve, for example. With that information, I would execute that serve and wait for the expected type of return. Surprisingly often the return was as expected! I don't consider this "reading" because it's not very dynamic, on-your-feet thinking, more of a "setup for expected results". Whatever - it was great.

- DO: with the additional time gained by some predictability, I was able to actually prepare for and execute certain shots. Backhand was still disappointing because even when expecting, and getting, a slow push to my BH, I couldn't bring myself to hit the loop. Very odd.

Net results: I beat a guy who had totally thrashed me the one time we played, and lost a nailbiter to another guy who had easily beaten me before. Coulda/shoulda won it. Both were higher rated players.

I had gone in expecting to lose, and almost wanting to lose (to be sure I am following the right principles instead of just trying to win) but the increased "watchfulness" seems to pay immediate dividends. The matches against these two guys felt TOTALLY different from last time. Because actually paying attention, showed me their patterns.

Next steps, of course: try to figure out this "READ" thing, and then try to force my muscles (or brain) to execute a shot according to plan, when I get the expected behavior, instead of playing the safe return (Grr!!).

Much thanks to all for opening up a whole new way of playing the game!