Transition from a more traditional to a shallow grip

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I have attached mine for comparison. I picked that grip because it was extremely neutral and allowed me the most wrist flexibility while retaining a high level of control.

Attachments

• 20160329_070936.jpg
    20160329_070936.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 147
  • 20160329_070909.jpg
    20160329_070909.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 132
says what [IMG]
He is quite tall and a handsome gentleman of darker descent. I think it's safe to assume he's quite large. ;)

I personally sanded my blade's handle area (mostly because I use it as a penhold screwaround blade as well) and it did give me a bit more potential for a deep grip, but I think you'd really need to sand the wings down to get so deep unless you just have big hands.

If you look close, you can see his grip is not "really" that deep either, at least probably not right up to the wing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@NextLevel : Did you sand the flare down and is that why your cheek is going into the paddle so much and thus allowing the finger to go over the side of the paddle ? or your fingers are naturally long ?

My fingers are naturally long, but that said, most people would have a finger come off anyway. The key to that positioning is to keep the racket anchored even when it moves around. I can create just about any racket angle and use my wrist similarly for FH and BH play. The FL is not sanded down - I can actually hold a variety o rackets that way, including straight ones. I used to use ST exclusively - I prefer FL now as I know where on the handle I need to sit better.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
RL, its almost the same.as mine. I just let my finger come off by getting deep. Yours is more similar to what many Asian coaches recommend but there are some that also use mine but like to raise the index finger for forehand. I play my forehand without consciously moving the finger or trying to.

Yep me too lol I discovered this grip through soul searching haha
there are variety of grips here in Asia and the most common is say Ma Long's grip

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
When you guys are showing grip, something is missing. You need a side on view.

The first photo is BH oriented:

5fe4de863f683fc544a15f37e0b3281b.jpg

The second photo is FH oriented:

667737bcddaa257b3dc1c5af6120276c.jpg

Without that last angle, the rest of what you are doing with your grip is not as meaningful.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I will include a side on view + a video of a few sets I played with my regular practice partner.... once I get the video and make sure its decent quality.
When you guys are showing grip, something is missing. You need a side on view.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I will include a side on view + a video of a few sets I played with my regular practice partner.... once I get the video and make sure its decent quality.

If you look now I added some side views.

More info on grip.

The first time I hit with Michael Landers he came over to my side of the table to have a look at how I was holding.

At the time I was trying a sever BH oriented grip and trying to keep that grip for FH too. It made my FH have a nice hook, but I couldn't undo the hook.

He recommended I allow my grip to adjust for FH and BH. At the time I played with a bunch of grips. Until I settled on the one I am using now.

The one I am using now, when I am hitting BH I am holding with the index and middle finger like what Ben is talking about in his video. When I switch to FH my grip switches even though I am not really aware of the switch. I change the angle of my wrist, or I think I do, and my grip seems to change. I never really feel the transition. But I also am just comfortable with what I am doing and maybe I am still using a BH grip for my FH. [emoji2]

All this being said, the stuff Mike was emphasizing back then was that you want your grip to be able to make subtle changes for different shots. Like, a fade, you may adjust your grip for that. And adjust in a different way for a hook.

In theory it sounds good. But I think I am in a hook grip most of the time for my FH.

By the way, Jennifer Wu, she teaches people to hold with the index finger and thumb and let the other fingers be relaxed. That is where I got the idea. And part of the idea. Is when you are holding and in control of the blade face from there, and apply grip pressure on contact (Der_Echte's patented subject matter) you get loads more spin.

So that is why I tried the grip I am using. And even though I don't know if I am doing what she meant, I feel I am really comfortable with the grip I use.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
Thanks Carl. What I found interesting is with a shallower grip I was being forced to use the index and thumb pressure during forehand and backhand respectively. I found my forehand improved immediately.

Here are the side on pictures :

Current grip :

View attachment 9609

Proposed grip :
View attachment 9610

Yes pressure is the key haha.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
He is quite tall and a handsome gentleman of darker descent. I think it's safe to assume he's quite large. ;)

I personally sanded my blade's handle area (mostly because I use it as a penhold screwaround blade as well) and it did give me a bit more potential for a deep grip, but I think you'd really need to sand the wings down to get so deep unless you just have big hands.

If you look close, you can see his grip is not "really" that deep either, at least probably not right up to the wing.
NL is almost as ugly as Der_Echte when he wears a TT uniform and goes off to battle... but when NL puts on his business suit it is game over.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Apologies for the bad quality and the angle, here are a couple of videos of me playing yesterday.
A few things before you start firing away, which I absolutely welcome ...
1. I am mostly fooling away with the older gentleman, he was my first coach and stops talking to me if I beat him. Now, I guess you all agree friendship is more important than winning :)
2. I am not in the best condition, you can see why I was complaining about my weight. I know my left leg is weak because of knee injury sustained a decade ago and right now my first priority is to keep my left leg from going up while looping, I will work on that, I promise :)
3. You cannot see some of my strengths because the game situation did not arise, also both the strenghts and weaknesses will be amplified since we practically play each other all the time.

Thanks in advance in for putting in time and patience in watching my videos and helping me out , please let me know even the smallest of details, all opinions , even the most destructive ones :) which I know will be on the way soon are welcome but just so you know I will take everything with a pinch of salt :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Archosaurus : I am not bad , I know that :) .. What I found admiring is that I posted two videos , one 10 minutes and another 14 minutes long , of which I said I was fooling in the 10 minutes video and you were able to make your comment around the 8 minute mark after I posted the video. That to me determines how much salt I will be putting :p ..... and the table is definitely good but it could be better, I am not a fan of DHS tables, but what is really good is the flooring , thats the main reason I play here even though there are other clubs with even higher level players around ...
While one video of someone playing in bad condition is not enough to comment much, you're not bad at least.

I'm more admiring the sweet olympic level table you have there.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
"While one video of someone playing in bad condition is not enough to comment much"

I don't need to watch the videos fully, because they're not enough for anyone to start commenting unless it's something specific. You seem to know your problems, so it's not like it's my job.

Someone will disagree, though, and watch the videos fully about 20 times and then proceed to shit on you. It's just how it goes.
;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't care eitherways, its not for nothing you have been nominated to my "Ignore list" long time back , so you can sit back and enjoy the show , no need to participate

"While one video of someone playing in bad condition is not enough to comment much"

I don't need to watch the videos fully, because they're not enough for anyone to start commenting unless it's something specific. You seem to know your problems, so it's not like it's my job.

Someone will disagree, though, and watch the videos fully about 20 times and then proceed to shit on you. It's just how it goes.
;)