Transition from a more traditional to a shallow grip

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Haven't you ever heard of speed watching.

In fairness though, if Archi figured out how to talk to people, without insulting his actual message isn't all that bad.

Here, I'll break this down.

"While one video of of someone playing in bad condition..."

Just, you know, simple manners, ttmonster is allowed to say that he isn't in the shape he wants to be in, but if you repeat it after he has said it, IT IS KIND OF RUDE and definitely bad form. Even though I get that you didn't mean any harm. You just still don't get when you are insulting someone.

"...is not enough to comment much,..."

Well, it's okay to not comment much. Rather than jumping without anything to say. But, I get you wanted to say something and you didn't really say anything so bad YET. Oh wait, before I speak too soon. Let me parse the next part of the sentence:

"....your not bad at least."

Now the actual message actually isn't bad. But it shows that you are totally clueless about social niceties. If you wanted to get across what you mean in a positive manner, you should have said: "you're pretty good." But since, it seems that you grew up in a barn, you say something that you really didn't mean to be an insult and you say it in the most insulting possible way.

I wonder what would have happened to you if you grew up in NYC and talked to people like that. Well, actually, I don't really. Because I know you would have been beaten up enough times to learn how not to talk like this.

But, what the hey, the kid just has really bad manners and doesn't seem capable of learning.

Archi, get this book:

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

Read it once. Read it twice, the. Read it again. It will definitely help you with people skillz in real life situations. Which you obviously need desperately.

Peace.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
ttmonster,

Everything I have watched so far is at a good level and I have nothing easy that I could really add to your game based on the few things I saw in the video. My specialty is arm mechanics and strokes and yours are very solid - I could substitute your game for mine and vice versa with similar results, the only thing is that your weight is obviously holding you down and you need to start a diet that is focused on reducing the inflammatory stuff in your daily eating.

For the elbow stuff get a Theraband flexbar and try the Tyler twist. It should help. Just make sure you don't have any serious arthritis. Good luck.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks a lot NextLevel, I am already on it , but I will try to find out what I can do more the fix my diet !!

Do let me know later if something obvious comes to your mind . Appreciate your comments !
ttmonster,

Everything I have watched so far is at a good level and I have nothing easy that I could really add to your game based on the few things I saw in the video. My specialty is arm mechanics and strokes and yours are very solid - I could substitute your game for mine and vice versa with similar results, the only thing is that your weight is obviously holding you down and you need to start a diet that is focused on reducing the inflammatory stuff in your daily eating.

For the elbow stuff get a Theraband flexbar and try the Tyler twist. It should help. Just make sure you don't have any serious arthritis. Good luck.

says what [IMG]
Or perhaps we can understand that "Well, you're not bad..." and "Well, you're not bad!" are different. I haven't figured out a way to accurately portray the nuances of speech via text yet, apart from using different words.

Excuse me if my English, while mostly technically correct from a "book learned" standpoint, isn't exactly award winning writer level.

I've met many people who are worse than me at the language who have said things that have sounded extremely insulting to me, but I didn't get insulted. I requested they re-iterate a bit, and of course, their intentions were not bad in the slightest.

With spoken word, all of these problems go away, unless you're just being a dick.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@UpSideDownCarl : Your same post got posted twice :) I figure you might have accidentally pressed the back button before posting something more you were intending to actually post ....

Cell phone technology at its best. Easy to fix though.

The double post should have disappeared into the Ethernet.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Or perhaps we can understand that "Well, you're not bad..." and "Well, you're not bad!" are different.

I promise you, get that book and read it. Try and practice the stuff in each chapter. It will make your life better.

says what [IMG]
I promise you, get that book and read it. Try and practice the stuff in each chapter. It will make your life better.
I've heard only good things about the book. I'll read it, at some point. Thanks for the suggestion, even if you weren't the first. The book seems to be a kind of "everyone must read this" piece.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Monster... Sorry to sound negative with first sentence, but it would help if your next vid isn't zoomed in so close. If it is zoomed out, I could see more. As it is, the vid makes it difficult to see your stance and approach to teh ball and the whole picture. it isn't anywhere near the famous T25 vid of Pnchy, so good enough to show me a few things.

The biggest comment I could say is on some of the stuff over the table you wanted to BH, you were not close enough to the ball and hit out of position. There could be a lot of reasons for it, maybe you didn't read the impact, maybe you were off balance and slower getting back, maybe didn't realize the ball until a tad late... who knows but you.

If I could see a wider more zoomed out view I could help with better, more useful and applicable comments.

I got a solid 100 kg and 30 yrs of military mileage on my body, so I don't exactly look a svelte lithe panther either. I look more like a hongry bear, maybe even act like one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thank you Der_Echte , I agree with both the points you make. I have the same feeling about my over the table backhand .

I will try to get a better video next time . But you were spot on regardless, let me see if I can get a better video anytime soon .

And right now I am around 227 pounds and going down so I might be able to give you a competition on that one for quite some time :p

Monster... Sorry to sound negative with first sentence, but it would help if your next vid isn't zoomed in so close. If it is zoomed out, I could see more. As it is, the vid makes it difficult to see your stance and approach to teh ball and the whole picture. it isn't anywhere near the famous T25 vid of Pnchy, so good enough to show me a few things.

The biggest comment I could say is on some of the stuff over the table you wanted to BH, you were not close enough to the ball and hit out of position. There could be a lot of reasons for it, maybe you didn't read the impact, maybe you were off balance and slower getting back, maybe didn't realize the ball until a tad late... who knows but you.

If I could see a wider more zoomed out view I could help with better, more useful and applicable comments.

I got a solid 100 kg and 30 yrs of military mileage on my body, so I don't exactly look a svelte lithe panther either. I look more like a hongry bear, maybe even act like one.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
TTM buddy, I watched the matches again. I think I can give you something for your backhand. Your forehand is corkscrew. You could probably try to fade with it once in a while but corkscrew is good. Your backhand is fade or regular top but I think the backhand fade is very easy to turn into corkscrew if one finishes with the handle facing the left wall. Now don't just do it with the wrist. That tends to yank that part of the elbow that is currently hurting you. Do it with the whole upper arm on power shots as well as the wrist. That will give you more ability to get the same quality you get on your forehand with your backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This is wonderful stuff NextLevel !! Thank you so much !!!

I will tell you my journey on the backhand :
(Adding Disclaimer : I am just telling the story below not as an excuse , rather as additional information in case you can suggest something to help alleviate the problem )
1. To begin with I did not have any backhand , I used to only block on my backhand.
2. I was taught to do the off the bounce backhand drive , I was doing it pretty good with lots of spin however the hitting zone on that shot is pretty small . Its nearly impossible for an overweight adult with knee problems to be at the correct position all the time to be doing backhand drives like the women. It becomes a problem if the ball is on the wide backhand , then I tend to move and hit at the same time , or if the ball pops up , then I am forced to punch, which I don't like that much because of the obvious issues with that shot .
3. So I started using a little more forearm , hoping that I can connect the backhand drive with a regular loop when I need to . But I struggle, its either this or that .

Now I am struggling to do my footwork with on the chiquita and connect the two backhands , it used to be great when my weight was lower and I used to train with my coaches . Also, its a little better when I come out fresh from my three day break on the weekend .

When you mean corkscrew , you are asking me to go around the side of the ball more , isn't it so ? So in that case, the starting position of the shot would be a little lower and I should be taking the ball a little later in the trajectory , rather than top of the bounce . Am I correct ?

TTM buddy, I watched the matches again. I think I can give you something for your backhand. Your forehand is corkscrew. You could probably try to fade with it once in a while but corkscrew is good. Your backhand is fade or regular top but I think the backhand fade is very easy to turn into corkscrew if one finishes with the handle facing the left wall. Now don't just do it with the wrist. That tends to yank that part of the elbow that is currently hurting you. Do it with the whole upper arm on power shots as well as the wrist. That will give you more ability to get the same quality you get on your forehand with your backhand.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This is wonderful stuff NextLevel !! Thank you so much !!!

I will tell you my journey on the backhand :
(Adding Disclaimer : I am just telling the story below not as an excuse , rather as additional information in case you can suggest something to help alleviate the problem )
1. To begin with I did not have any backhand , I used to only block on my backhand.
2. I was taught to do the off the bounce backhand drive , I was doing it pretty good with lots of spin however the hitting zone on that shot is pretty small . Its nearly impossible for an overweight adult with knee problems to be at the correct position all the time to be doing backhand drives like the women. It becomes a problem if the ball is on the wide backhand , then I tend to move and hit at the same time , or if the ball pops up , then I am forced to punch, which I don't like that much because of the obvious issues with that shot .
3. So I started using a little more forearm , hoping that I can connect the backhand drive with a regular loop when I need to . But I struggle, its either this or that .

Now I am struggling to do my footwork with on the chiquita and connect the two backhands , it used to be great when my weight was lower and I used to train with my coaches . Also, its a little better when I come out fresh from my three day break on the weekend .

When you mean corkscrew , you are asking me to go around the side of the ball more , isn't it so ? So in that case, the starting position of the shot would be a little lower and I should be taking the ball a little later in the trajectory , rather than top of the bounce . Am I correct ?

Yes, but if you finish with your paddle facing the right wall and just try to figure out the technique that gets it, you will be fine. You don't always have to take the ball "later", just take it in your strike zone. I am always reluctant to give specific timing instructions - with practice, you will figure out how comfortable you are hitting what point on the ball. You take your forehand in a variety of ways without thinking about it. Your backhand can do the same thing. IT's just practice - it will make your backspin opening more consistent and you will be able to drive a few more as well - you seem to lift sometimes and is not your preference.

The key to expanding the backhand strike zone is to swing with the shoulder upper body tied to the upper arm. Think tennis stroke using the whole body. Once you get it, you can swing at anything once you take your lever to it. Your backhand is already decent so don't lose sleep over it. It's just something for you to make your backhand more similar to your forehand so that you can think of it the same way since you understand your forehand pretty well.

This user has no status.
Snapped some shots of the way I hold my blade, just caus, I didn't know what it looked like! :D

Well.. It wasn't pretty.. :(

BH/FH
eee7b2241d8cc707cffbdfa09236cf07.jpg

Fun
aa90b942e3504d003b4ede43c250d2ce.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Der_Echte : Here are two more videos.
@NextLevel : I am trying to incorporate corkscrew in my backhand technique , you might see the shadowing going on when I am missing, but its not easy and will probably take some time to set in. I hope the seed you planted in my subconscious will come to fruition by itself with time.

The first video was when I was fresh and my legs were moving , the second video I was already straining to make good footwork, and so my mistakes were amplified . Even though I was able to make it to 10-10 in the fourth I was not able to convert the few chances I had.

I decided to upload both in case it help in uncovering more mistakes in my game. I will do more analysis myself over the weekend , thanks in advance to everybody regardless.

First match -

Second match -

Reactions: NextLevel
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Maybe later I get more complete detailed with you I watched ur 2nd match...

I keep it simple and ask you a few questions for you to think through about ONE thing.

You play away from table very soon in rally. Why you do this? What is good and bad in general given your skills and strokes... what is your point winning strategy from there... why did you miss the shots you did...

In general you have many of the same shot selection preferences but what is different about us?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk