Transition from a more traditional to a shallow grip

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Der, I think you may have misunderstood what I said.

On a lot of those balls where he is reaching forward out of his power zone to take the ball as it is already dropping, for him to not reach forward and not move his feet, he would have to get down almost to the ground to take the ball very low. I wasn't saying it was a good option. But based on where he was standing and how he is often reaching forward, to wait for the ball to come to him, he would have to be much lower than very low.

OK, I can accept that analysis. We are essentially in agreement.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
1. When I find myself in an awkward position, my reflex is to hit a more powerful shot than usual , so that I don't fall behind further in terms of positioning or initiative.

2. I back myself in capability to spin the ball up, when I started I was more natural in looping up backspin than spinning a topspin ball.

3. Subconsciously may be I think if the spin dies off I can use my power and overpower the weirdness of the ball instead of having to read the spin early in the flight path for me to take stuff off the bounce.

4. I am trying to make the opponent wait for me to get some clues about his body position to determine whether to go to wide forehand or backhand down the line.

I think its a combination of the 4 factors above ...
Whatever you decide why you go back or whatever depth you are comfortable playing at... you still have to read the ball, be in position, and select and execute the shot you are trying to tactically employ... if you are too far back given the ball, it will fail most of the time. You seem to make similar good decisions on what kind of shot to try, but are often out of position for it to land or if it lands to be a quality shot.

There can be several reasons for this. Name 4 of them for me to engage your thought process.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think many of your situations why you are so far back given the ball are...

1) you are simply not seeing the ball well enough and want maximum time to read it and do something offensive about it, but you are too far back and now in trouble given opponent hit a softer shot

2) Your balance form the shot that got you into the rally wasn't optimal and you fall back a step

3) Your shot to get into the rally wasn't great quality and you fear opponent will make a strong shot

4) You are not knowing in your mind the probable response from opponent given the shot you gave him

5) At the moment opponent hits the balls, somehow you are still thinking about something and have not gotten down a little to bend your knees. Flexing knees when opponent contacts the all makes all the difference when he hits his shot.

More than anything, it is prolly #5, even if I said bending knees wasn't an issue with Monster, i think it is at the moment of impact he is not crouched well enough ready to move to ball and destroy it.

There are reasons that lead up to this situation, but it is prolly the largest factor. #1 is prolly the largest contributing reason.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Being too far back and not moving to the ball are interrelated to an extent. Figuring out how to stay on balance ready bent knees when opponent hits ball is one key to avoiding your current mess of playing too far back and having opponent play soft and kill you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thank you !! This is a ton of material for me to work off of. Really glad that we had this conversation.

My heartfelt thanks to you Der_Echte, NextLevel and last and not the least, Carl .

But don't treat this as a humble ploy to stop this conversation , keep them coming !!! But seriously this helped a lot !!

I will keep coming back to this thread over time to see if I am able to take each item at a time and fix it, and keep posting my videos !! Really glad I did this in spite my struggles with fitness and the warmongers out here :)

Being too far back and not moving to the ball are interrelated to an extent. Figuring out how to stay on balance ready bent knees when opponent hits ball is one key to avoiding your current mess of playing too far back and having opponent play soft and kill you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You are completely right about number 1, Der_Echte . When I come to think of it , my focus level definitely drops between my reading of serve , or the execution of my own serves and then from third ball onwards. The focus is probably getting more to the body position of the opponent rather than watching the ball . I will try to make this my priority from here on. I can think of other things later !! This has to be the most important thing to fix .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Your playing distance is a function of your technique. Since you enjoy playing full strokes and do so, I wouldn't be worried about it. Since your opponent is a blocker, you could gain a little by play closer to the table and taking the ball earlier to end points, but you would have to practice taking the ball earlier and developing the style for that.

Der_Echte and I block a lot, so we look at the game a little differently. You also don't serve a lot of short backspin/no spin/topspin so you don't get popups a lot. When you do that, you look at the game very differently.