Amazing Around The Net Roller by Hou Yingchao!

says Aging is a killer
Each couple of years or so, TT brings in a shot that becomes popular all over.
The round the net shot I'm seeing even at under 13 level.
Of course, the banana flick is standard now at all levels.
Yes I know these shots have been around for zonks, but I suppose this surge is due to CNT popularising them. But having said that, it's probably more due to YouTube etc. In the old days (pre-YouTube) it took much longer for the shots/styles to filter down.
Now that I'm thinking about it, what shots/styles have become popular at all levels in the last 5 years and name the player who popularised it?

I can think of:
1. Banana flick - Zhang Jike
2. Round the net - CNT
3. MaLong style serve superseding the Waldner serve.
4, Receiving serve with the BH from anywhere - Zhang(?).
5. Inside-out serve (Boll?).
6. Round the back shot (?)
7. No-look shot - Waldner

Anymore?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
That's a great subject for a thread in its own right Tinykin - perhaps you can start it up and we can doubtless get some great videos of the originators/popularisers of these shots.

For my part, I might propose:

Chop Block (Is that what Archosaurus describes ?) - not sure, Ma Long ?
Backhand punch - Waldner ?
Double pendulum serve - Zhang Jike ?
Hook sidespin - Michael Maze ?
Tomahawk serve - ?
Reverse Tomahawk serve - ?
Backhand serving - Samsonov & Otcharov ?
Backhand offense - Kreanga ?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Its kinda like a disguised chop. The player looks as though they are playing a conventional backhand topspin return but then make that movement early (before the ball arrives) and then at the last moment roll the backhand right over to contact the ball with a downward chop type movement.

Slightly gets me thinking further about disguising backspin as a topspin and vice versa. I have seen Dan demonstrate the deceptive down up down serve that looks like a simple backspin push but is actually top spin. I wonder if it could ever be possible to translate that type of double movement into a shot during a rally. It would be mad crazy and probably need the super human reflexes of a rattlesnake - but boy would that be cool.:cool:

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
I don't think the aim is to disguise the spin. I'm pretty sure Ma Lin knows what spin's on it.

The strength is probably due to the sudden movement and spin drawing the ball way from the opponent. Even if your opponent knows what spin's on it and where it's going, it won't do him any good if it's late. :p