Ratings - USA vs Europe League - South America - East Asia

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Hi guys and Gals,

my training partner (Evan Gordon) and i were talking about equipment last night and brought up Daniel Ives's Equipment reviews..

then we talked about Daniel Ives's high playing abilities in his reviews..

then we asked each other what would be is his USATT rating?

we concluded that Dan's rating would be about USA = 2500 or higher?

so that brings up a point, is there a website or conversion formula or table to plug in to see all the worlds ratings from USA vs Europe League - South America - East Asia?

also if you are reading this Daniel!! what is your rating? you hit it so well and return so well.. and you move so well, i think in USA you would be 2500-2700 ?

Phamster

BTW i am 2128 in the USATT system..

This user has no status.
Here is a comparison between USATT and German (Europe?) TTR:
http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17872

My TTR of 1700 would be an USATT of 2100 - 2200.
I have watched quite a lot of videos from USATT players here and on youtube and I think this conversion is quite accurate on average.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
2500 would put Dan somewhere around the back end of England top 100, so if given his recovery from injuries, could be true. A 2200 level player can make rally strokes look really really good, just as good as a 2500 level player.

There are several players here locally barely over 2200 with more impressive at the table rally stuff.

Until Dan comes to USA and does a few tourneys (Cough* Hint * Cough) on his next trip to USA for TT adventure and epic encounters with the Goon Squads, we really will not know.

If Dan tells us where in England rank he would be at today or next month with more practice, then we would have a better idea.

I would say somewhere in the 2200 to 2500 range. That is a pretty wide range covering three levels. I am pretty sure when Dan was fit and not injured, he was 2600, but I will never know his current level until he does his best in a few tourneys here with that 2500+ level of competition.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think Der is spot on here. Seeing Dan against a player who was putting pressure on him and trying to break down his game would be interesting.

I could be wrong but, I think I remember Dan said, at his highest level, he was #51 in England or something like that. So, at his highest level back in 2008 or so, before his back injury, he might have been much higher level than he is now. But the back injury slowed him down some and his technique is probably higher level than his rating would work out to be.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I pegged him at between 2350 and 2450 in his current playing form and given that he has injuries and is focused more on coaching than training. Me and Dan have had this conversation before as well lol :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
I personally still think that USATT rating is good system but also very controversial. Here is a video of Peter Nguyen, a Vietnamese amateur player who just moved to US recently and won one or two tourney, now he is rated 2501. But sometime ago I read a post on TTD saying that some US boys training for upcoming OG are only rated about 2300-2400.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey @phamster good question, there has been similar topics on this in the past. Der, Carl and Matt posts are very accurate I think. The thing is like Carl has said in the reviews I am in a training hall environment, I have no pressure on me and its in a controlled state. I have not played competitively properly since 2009 where I had a ranking of around 51 in the UK men. At this time I was defeating some players who are top 10-15 in the country. I think anyone at the level of top 200 in England will look good on videos under training conditions. Its very hard to judge ones level by watching them in the training hall. Hope the posts above have helped you answer :)

Hopefully when I come and visit Carl, Der and the squad we can hit up a tournament in the US! :D

2500 would put Dan somewhere around the back end of England top 100, so if given his recovery from injuries, could be true. A 2200 level player can make rally strokes look really really good, just as good as a 2500 level player.

There are several players here locally barely over 2200 with more impressive at the table rally stuff.

Until Dan comes to USA and does a few tourneys (Cough* Hint * Cough) on his next trip to USA for TT adventure and epic encounters with the Goon Squads, we really will not know.

If Dan tells us where in England rank he would be at today or next month with more practice, then we would have a better idea.

I would say somewhere in the 2200 to 2500 range. That is a pretty wide range covering three levels. I am pretty sure when Dan was fit and not injured, he was 2600, but I will never know his current level until he does his best in a few tourneys here with that 2500+ level of competition.

This will take place in our lifetime! Lets do a tournament in the US Der!

I think Der is spot on here. Seeing Dan against a player who was putting pressure on him and trying to break down his game would be interesting.

I could be wrong but, I think I remember Dan said, at his highest level, he was #51 in England or something like that. So, at his highest level back in 2008 or so, before his back injury, he might have been much higher level than he is now. But the back injury slowed him down some and his technique is probably higher level than his rating would work out to be.

I pegged him at between 2350 and 2450 in his current playing form and given that he has injuries and is focused more on coaching than training. Me and Dan have had this conversation before as well lol :p

Your spot on guys! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Dan, if you can make the trip across the Atlantic, I will make it across the continent :)
Hey @phamster good question, there has been similar topics on this in the past. Der, Carl and Matt posts are very accurate I think. The thing is like Carl has said in the reviews I am in a training hall environment, I have no pressure on me and its in a controlled state. I have not played competitively properly since 2009 where I had a ranking of around 51 in the UK men. At this time I was defeating some players who are top 10-15 in the country. I think anyone at the level of top 200 in England will look good on videos under training conditions. Its very hard to judge ones level by watching them in the training hall. Hope the posts above have helped you answer :)

Hopefully when I come and visit Carl, Der and the squad we can hit up a tournament in the US! :D

This will take place in our lifetime! Lets do a tournament in the US Der!

Your spot on guys! :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NYC Westchester will ALWAYS have several 2500+ USATT players and they run a tourney EVERY MONTH like clockwork !!! My ITTF International umpire friend will be there APR and MAY to help out, so it looks like I will be there one of those months, likely May 2016 for that tourney. Then there is Lily Yip TTC tourneys, MaTT will tell you how often they run, but I would think they do it 6 times a year at a minimum, MDTTC where I did mine always has 2 or more 2500 level players and 6 each 2300+ players. They do 6 tourneys a year.

Then you got the clubs open every day where we simply go in, take over, and initiate the fun...

With all that TT going on, one could plan and live the dream of a TT experience on the East Coast of USA with a little coordination no problem.

Come on over, we'll keep the Goon Squad off you (Nah, you indicated you want to battle them on Ur own !!) and we will turn up the volume on fun and possible break off the knob.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
By The Way (BTW), I saw some of the OPEN action at the MDTTC April Tourney at Maryland National Training Center...

There were at least SEVEN dudes who were serious man-crushers... they would make a 2200 level player look like he was soiling hiz diapers and making a mess out of even that task. Amature TT in USA at the elite level is damned high level. The average level, which 80 percent of players seem to be at, is nothing special by any country's standards, just average.

I think Dan would be in the middle to upper middle of that pack I saw yesterday, but actual results will bear it out. The middle to upper middle zone of THAT pack is simply serious badddddd-azz.

Reactions: Suga D and Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
@ Dan thanks for your reply.. i truly enjoy your passion for your Table Tennis Reviews among other types of videos you put out there. Like your trip to china and to the National training center... it is very easy to just go and not record anything because of the energy and being engrossed into the amazing scene and not bother to bring out the recorder.. but you seem to always document the good stuff.. and i say thank you for sharing so we can see what it is like..

now back to the rating discussion.. having all the advance shots i pegged you at the 2500 level here in the USA.. and thought if you were tuned in with your game you could even be higher .. still the practice hall or not.. the foot work and compact strokes shows you have a very high skill level that i and many others envy.. thanks for taking the time to chime in..

@ Der, i still plan on coming to the new york area some time to meet and play with the east coast guys some time this year.. i will have to plan out my trip and let you know !!

@ upsidedown Carl, you live out on the east coast area? if so we will have to meet up too..

@ TTmonster, i looked at your equipment profile.. very nice.. it looks like you play a chinese style game.. you like the H3 or H8 better for poly ball?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@phamster : Hey thanks for the complements but I am not much of and EJ. And you can find videos of me playing in the following thread if you are wondering about my level and style ...

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...itional-to-a-shallow-grip&p=142088#post142088

The quality of the videos are not that good , so the amount of spin on the ball might not be clear , apologies for that :)

I actually used to play 05 on both sides and recently started experimenting with equipment because of the ball changes. To be honest , I haven't tried boosting the provincial H3 that I have on my Long 5 , but I have playing with my main setup with H8 and MX-P and I have fallen in love with H8 , unboosted though. I think Dan already said this and I talked to one of the guys from the club who boosed h8, I think its better not to because it loses power away from the table. Definitely , 05 is more powerful but I will go with H8 because it gives the extra edge in serve and return. I am able to do stuff on serve and short game that I haven't been able to do with 05, like keeping the high toss spin variations short and handling spin/no spin variations on the short serve receive. Also, love the extra time and flexibilty I get on the forehand flick with h8.

@ Dan thanks for your reply.. i truly enjoy your passion for your Table Tennis Reviews among other types of videos you put out there. Like your trip to china and to the National training center... it is very easy to just go and not record anything because of the energy and being engrossed into the amazing scene and not bother to bring out the recorder.. but you seem to always document the good stuff.. and i say thank you for sharing so we can see what it is like..

now back to the rating discussion.. having all the advance shots i pegged you at the 2500 level here in the USA.. and thought if you were tuned in with your game you could even be higher .. still the practice hall or not.. the foot work and compact strokes shows you have a very high skill level that i and many others envy.. thanks for taking the time to chime in..

@ Der, i still plan on coming to the new york area some time to meet and play with the east coast guys some time this year.. i will have to plan out my trip and let you know !!

@ upsidedown Carl, you live out on the east coast area? if so we will have to meet up too..

@ TTmonster, i looked at your equipment profile.. very nice.. it looks like you play a chinese style game.. you like the H3 or H8 better for poly ball?

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I personally still think that USATT rating is good system but also very controversial..(William cut out vid sorry) ...Peter Nguyen, a Vietnamese amateur player who just moved to US recently and won one or two tourney, now he is rated 2501. But sometime ago I read a post on TTD saying that some US boys training for upcoming OG are only rated about 2300-2400.

Sent from a loaner NSA Phone borrowed from Carl

TTD Memebrs, this weekend, Brice got a firsthand look at a major big-time TT center tourney and what level(s) of play are going on. He saw the U2000 division qualification groups as each one being a group of death, the round of 16 worse, and so on... He saw the U2300 matches look like lightning, and the Open with SEVEN 2350+ players competing... he saw that class make 2200 players look like they were in soiled diapers.

OK, maybe I should let Brice choose his own words, but for sure, Brice saw what the top end of each division looks like compared to what the (low) official rating of the players are. After watching the action this weekend, Brice will think 1700 is a major great achievement and 2000 is a tough level. In this region, I think there are 5 each 2000+ level players from his country.

For Brice's comparison to what a big time TT center ratings classification compares to Korea, here is a quick breakdown.

U1500 - This is Div 5 City and the average club player who gets lessons, but doesn't shoot up in level. The top end of this field somehow make their way to Div 4

U1700 - 1700 is the top end of Div 4. Of course, there are growing kids who are actually way better than 1700, but either did not do a tourney to catch up the rating, kept their rating at their level, or got defeated by a really under-rated kid. This applies to all levels really.

U1900 - This is a tricky one to call. There is supposed to be top end of Div 3 city in Korea, and the ringers of Div 3 city are indeed this level or even 2000 level. In a big time training center, there are LOTS of kids and a few adults who have a low 1800s rating, but play at a near 2000 or above level.

U2000 - The top end of this should be the upper range of Div 2 city in Korea. You can be a Div 1 player at a low 2000 level. Again, SO MANY kids and adults have a sub 1900 rating or low 1900s rating, but play above 2000 level. You have to play 1-2 levels above your level EVERY MATCH to have any chance of making the semis or final in these events.

U2100 - This is Div 1 City level in top end, but in USA, you will see Div 4 players enter these kind of events, since they can. In USA, you can enter any event as long as your official rating is below the ratings cutoff.

U2300 - The absolute top aces in Div 1 city are this level, and you will find very few at that level. North of Seoul, outside of coaches, there might be only 12 players at that playing level. The average Div 1 city player would fail to make the round of 8 in the U2100 event if there is a field of 32 players at a big time club. An average Div 1 city player might fail to advance out of a 4 player qualification group where top two advance to knockout phase.

U2500 - There are no amature Korean players at this level in most cities. In a big time club, there are 2-3 of these, some tourneys attract 10 or more of this class. If you go to a HUGE National level tourney in Korea, the ones who are call Champions League Division are this level, they are the aces who consistently win Div 1 in National level tourneys.

Open - You get some 2600 and 2700 level player at some of the big centers. That level is way too good for Korean amature TT. A professionally trained top athlete by Senior year of High School is 2600ish, (the ones who are pro player material are higher) but they do not let them compete with amatures. At the National level tourneys, they have a Division called "Seon-Soo Boo" which is "Athlete Division" in English. This is reserved for pro-trained full time TT athletes who were trained by a former pro hired by the school. These kind of players have had this kind of training since middle school and it is like it is their mission in school to be an athlete, not a student. The Korean Semi-pro League is made up of the City Hall teams of cities and major sections of Seoul, like Yong-In Si Cheung, Seoul Si_Cheong, Bucheon Si Cheong, etc. You gotta be mid 2600s to be on one of those teams.

One of the Korean kids form the Korean team that competed at teh Nationals Team tourney last fall in Washington DC stopped by the major clubs in the area and a little kid tore apart teh game of Virginia's best player with ease, that coach has got to be mid 2300s or better on his worst day and couldn't return serves from that kid, who was pro player material on track with pro training.

That is the Korean perspective of amature world and pro-training world over there and how it stacks up to the big TT centers in USA, which also train and grow in the top end, some similar 2600+ players.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Phamster, Carl LIVES in NYC, I only visit there a few times a year if I am lucky.

I live in Washington DC area near the Dulles Airport, two full time clubs with 15 minute drive from there in case you got business in our nation's capitol.

Next Level lives halfway between me and NYC

MaTT (Coach at Lily Yip TTC) lives right across the Hudson in NJ near the club. Somehow, he and Carl got in a fight with the Goon Squad on the Brooklyn bridge then the leader decided to jump off the bridge to escape the losing battle. MaTT jumped in after him for concern over human life, caught up to him halfway through, and proceeded to pistol belt drag/swim him across the Hudson, then ultimately dropped him into the drunk tank of the local police station. The rest is history, Lily Yip hired him on the spot as a hero.

There are lurkers in Boston.

You throw a dart at the middle to northeast coast and you are close enough to TT action if you or others drive.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@Phamster: I'm the clown who lives in NYC. But when you come we will import Der from DC and we may have to get the Philly Mafia to join in.

@Dan: if you cross the pond, I am sure that TTDaily members from the whole east coast will converge on NYC for us to have a crazy TT adventure that will undoubtedly include a narrow escape from the goon squad and all sorts of TT antics. We will be ready to have fun.

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Phamster, Carl LIVES in NYC, I only visit there a few times a year if I am lucky.

I live in Washington DC area near the Dulles Airport, two full time clubs with 15 minute drive from there in case you got business in our nation's capitol.

Next Level lives halfway between me and NYC

MaTT (Coach at Lily Yip TTC) lives right across the Hudson in NJ near the club. Somehow, he and Carl got in a fight with the Goon Squad on the Brooklyn bridge then the leader decided to jump off the bridge to escape the losing battle. MaTT jumped in after him for concern over human life, caught up to him halfway through, and proceeded to pistol belt drag/swim him across the Hudson, then ultimately dropped him into the drunk tank of the local police station. The rest is history, Lily Yip hired him on the spot as a hero.

There are lurkers in Boston.

You throw a dart at the middle to northeast coast and you are close enough to TT action if you or others drive.

I still have the medal :p hahah

We have tournaments every month, 2 of them are at F.I.T in New York each year :D

Reactions: Der_Echte