DISCUSSION: Will ITTF switch back to celluloid balls if plastic balls failed?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sorry but I have to disagree.
I'm not sure if this here really can be taken as a reference for the improvement of rallies since the usage of the p-ball. But I mean just take look at these two vids and decide for yourself.
;)

C-Ball

P-Ball

Hey, I think this shows how the rallies with the plastic balls have been tough to end and win. Nice comparison Suga D.

Regardless of what some think, to general viewers who might not have as much table tennis knowledge, the better rallies to watch are definitely the ones with the ball that makes it that much harder to end the rallies. That has also caused the reemergence of the lob. It is hard to put the ball away so the rallies have been extended in a variety of ways. And where lobbing was failing with the C-Ball, it works much better with the P-Ball these days.

You can see the extra spin and arc on the balls in the C-Ball video. But the average viewer wouldn't understand that the same way they would those amazing rallies where both guys are ripping the ball and neither can put the ball by the other.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Well I was at the world champs and I was thoroughly bored watching a lot of matches. The quality of the best rallies may be higher but on average I feel like the quality of most matches has declined. I feel like there are more errors with the plastic ball still even after 2 years.

Reactions: strangeloop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
The change from c-ball to p-ball is not good right now but in long run it is in the interest of table tennis as the professional players will make less errors with more practice and training also the young players growing up with p-ball will adapt better.also down the line quality of p-ball will better than now. So plastic ball will slow down game ensuring better longer rally .returning serves will be easy .that will result in few third ball attack. power players have to work harder for points .so in the end plastic ball is great for game in the future all we have to do is adapt and enjoy .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Giovanni Greco