says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Par Gerell won the first stage? Where is Timo?

The final 8 players in the draw qualified, Timo made it through as well.

Gutted for Samsonov who had a surprising loss to Gionis and also for Pitchford who had a nailbiting 4-3 loss to Apolonia!

I have a hard time to understand the rules to qualify.
Given Vladi's world ranking, does he necessarily have to win his ticket through this tournament? :confused:

I understand Timo Boll had to otherwise Bastian Steger would have been the second German player for the Olympics single event ("No National Olympic Committee may be represented by more than two players in the Men’s Singles event at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games")

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
The final 8 players in the draw qualified, Timo made it through as well.

Gutted for Samsonov who had a surprising loss to Gionis and also for Pitchford who had a nailbiting 4-3 loss to Apolonia!
Hahaha well done for Gionis he was really on fire, his forehand killers were like Matt Hetherington's crazy avatar :D Well deserved!

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt Hetherington
I have a hard time to understand the rules to qualify.
Given Vladi's world ranking, does he necessarily have to win his ticket through this tournament? :confused:

I understand Timo Boll had to otherwise Bastian Steger would have been the second German player for the Olympics single event ("No National Olympic Committee may be represented by more than two players in the Men’s Singles event at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games")

From ITTF website :
“I had a very tough match against Panagiotis Gionis yesterday”, said Vladimir Samsonov who will qualify for the Men’s Singles event at the Rio 2016 Olympoc Games by virtue of his world ranking.

I have the answer :eek:

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
8 playrs who have qualified so far via Europe Qualifications:

1) Panagiotis Gionis
2) Timo Boll
3) Marcos Freitas
4) Bastian Steger
5) Tiago Apolonia
6) Alexander Shibaev
7) Par Gerell
8) Bojan Tokic

Great Matches

8 playrs who have qualified so far via Europe Qualifications:

1) Panagiotis Gionis
2) Timo Boll
3) Marcos Freitas
4) Bastian Steger
5) Tiago Apolonia
6) Alexander Shibaev
7) Par Gerell
8) Bojan Tokic

And Emanuel Lebesson + Jonathan Groth qualify by winning the second stage finals. I actually made the trip down to halmstad to watch the matches of the final day, very satisfied with this choice. The final between Kou Lei and Emanuel Lebesson was an intense 7-setter, with a few amazing rallies. Meanwhile Groth really outmatched Gauzy during his first 3 sets, I was especially amazed by the cannon backhands he was consistently able to pull off far from the table. After that he kind of lost his rhythm so Gauzy was able to tie the game at 3-3, the last set was fairly one-sided in favour of Groth.

The womens finals were great as well, especially since both Li Fen and Matilda Ekholm were there and got huge support from the crowd (obviously). Matilda Ekholm vs Li Jie was so close, Li Jie winning 15-13 in the 7th. Fortunately Ekholm managed to win her next match to secure her place in the olympics. Li Fen's games were not as close, but I must say I really enjoyed the game versus Tetyana Bilenko, who IMO has a beautiful style, mixing fishing chopping and deadly counterattacks with grace.

There was a Stiga stand at the venue with great prices: rosewoods for 80€ and carbonados (the new ones as well) for 100€, unfortunately they didn't have any with penhold grip so I had to leave emptyhanded.