Loop contact sound

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
In case people think that Ma Long never spins up the ball or has never practiced it in his life...

I know this thread is about looping contact, but ultimately, it comes down to the fact that no one can hit the ball one way every single time. Even Timo Boll. His style is relatively softer in the Tenergy era than it was in the Sriver/speed glue era. I think people can go back and watch his 2005 World Cup matches and get a better idea of how this boosting and speed glue ban has expanded the Chinese vs. Euro gap. Many of the top Chinese players struggled after the glue ban until they found ways to get good stuff.

says what [IMG]
At some point, you just can't physically hit the ball hard and expect it to land anywhere near your opponent's side. That's a given, and it just gets more and more true the better players you play and the more spin is in the game.

One of my weaknesses, which will soon be a strength, is my half-long forehand corner where you basically need to brush it if you want to loop it. The same placement and pace as in the above Ma Long video, except varied between half long and short that looks like it's half long. A friend of mine who knows my game inside out has been throwing that at me for some time, and it's forced me to level up my reading of spin/placement and improve my brush loop.

Even if I can generate a good arc with speed and occasionally get that rubber corking sound if I swing fast enough while grazing, it's no good if they take away the possibility from me. This is why I believe there's no such thing as "x level shot" unless your whole game is at that level.

@UpSideDownCarl

What video of mine are you talking about? The ppball one or the Ma Long video?

This user has no status.
I went to see Andy Pereira once, and it's when I first heard that distinctive sound we have been discussing...

Andy is the shorter guy with the pink hair style...

Watch the third point of the game when Andy's first serve , is a great example!

3rd & 5th ball listen to the click

7th ball load crack, smash kill

If you watch Andy you will see how careful he is in every contact...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says what [IMG]
So this bottle cork sound is what we're striving for. It's quite similar to the ones commonly heard in good pro loops, only real difference between all of them being the pitch, but the sound is the same. Even one of my quite low level friends who has a huuuuuuge loop against backspin, who produces a ton of topspin along with it, makes this kind of sound when he gets it right. Now if only he got it right more than 20% of the time.

Judging contact quality based on a minute change of sound (Or a big one, if you're doing things wrong :p) reminds me of judging front wheel braking efficiency based on tire squeal in motorsports. You want some squeal all the way down to the turn in and usually apex, but not too much. An absence of it indicates too little braking pressure.

I'll start listening closer.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Archo, all the stuff you say about looping is basically nonsense or an imitation of the words of other people. But when you regurgitate the words of someone who actually experienced them, you don't seem to put things in the right context because you don't actually know what you are saying from experience.

With your technique and a recreational racket with dead rubbers, the idea that you are talking as though you do these things all the time is a bit odd.

Asking for the information is great. But then, all of a sudden, acting like you are already doing what was just described seems silly.

I guess you are intent on pretending you are an expert and know what you are talking about.

I know guys who are, say 1700-1800. On a bad day, under the worst of circumstances, you still can see that their strokes are good, their mechanics are good, AND THERE CONTACT IS the kind where they pull past the ball and spin it. If they are banging into the ball, it is because they want to. Not because they are tired or some other silliness.

In that video of you, the CONTACT, is the contact of a flat hit. You are not doing it because you are tired. That is your default setting. Perhaps you are learning to spin, or trying to learn to spin. But your default contact is flat up against the ball. And it makes perfect sense if you are using a prebuilt no-brand recreational racket with worn out rubbers. You can't really do these techniques consistently with that kind of equipment.

Again, there is nothing wrong with having a drive contact default setting. Listen to NextLevel talking about when that was his default and how he still needs to stay focused and work to get the right contact for more spin. NextLevel's story shows a level of maturity and honesty about doing the painstaking hard work to really improve. Darn I wish you would learn from the guy instead of just trying to pretend you already do everything with such skill.

You could actually be a productive member of this forum if you weren't always trying to pretend you already know things you don't REALLY know. And knowing the words is different than speaking from experience. And often, when you speak from experience you have to struggle to find the right words to explain the experience. There is none of that from you.

Man I wish you would just grow up. Keep playing. Learn to do this stuff you are asking about. That would be awesome. And I bet, if you were really doing that, your irritating on-line personality would change into a really good one.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says what [IMG]
Carl, I don't understand why you're upset.

I'm not making up anything new here: I'm just vocalizing what other people have said, perhaps in the wrong context, so I can be told if it makes any sense or not. Although unless you tell me exactly what is wrong, I can't really improve my understanding of anything.

All I've learned is that certain sounds are good, certain sounds are not. I've produced all of them myself, some more than others. I'll try to make more of the good kind of sound, now that I know what I want.

I'd really appreciate it if you could go into detail on how exactly one produces this contact, instead of telling me that I'm not producing it and that I don't know anything. :confused:

Also, my equipment is actually not that bad. I can clearly feel that if the contact is bad, it was really me, not the equipment. If the ball consistently spins well, it's because I consistently got a good contact.

The maximum spin is surely limited, but my back/side serves break off the table's side and come back some, so it can't be nonexistent like there's anti on the blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I'm not making up anything new here: I'm just vocalizing what other people have said, perhaps in the wrong context, so I can be told if it makes any sense or not. Although unless you tell me exactly what is wrong, I can't really improve my understanding of anything.

All I've learned is that certain sounds are good, certain sounds are not. I've produced all of them myself, some more than others. I'll try to make more of the good kind of sound, now that I know what I want.

I'd really appreciate it if you could go into detail on how exactly one produces this contact, instead of telling me that I'm not producing it and that I don't know anything. :confused:

Also, my equipment is actually not that bad. I can clearly feel that if the contact is bad, it was really me, not the equipment. If the ball consistently spins well, it's because I consistently got a good contact.

The maximum spin is surely limited, but my back/side serves break off the table's side and come back some, so it can't be nonexistent like there's anti on the blade.

The noise in the Andy Pereira video is from a loud rubber. Not all rubbers will sound like that unless you boost them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What would it sound like with a very quiet rubber?

IT all depends on how well your rubber stretches. Boosted rubbers or speed glued rubbers just stretch and pop differently. You are a student but if you ever bought or tried Calibra sound or a boosted EL-P, you would know what I mean.

says what [IMG]
The sound is definitely different between the rubbers I use and pro rubbers, although I've not heard both being compared in person.

Pro rubbers produce a crack like worse rubbers do as well if you smack it, but I've never heard exactly that pop. My rubbers are not boosted and are not the highest end, so they don't have that second "echo" to them. If you know what I'm talking about.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I will see if I can explain.

I've produced all of them myself, some more than others.

If you think that it is not as bad as if you actually know you haven't produced the corking sound and are saying you have. But, it is highly unlikely that you have produced that sound. So, it is worth knowing that you have probably not produced that sound and you probably haven't heard it in person either. It is pretty distinct. Its the kind of sound that makes you want to go out and buy good old fashioned Joola Mambo and some good Haifu Speed Glue.

I'd really appreciate it if you could go into detail on how exactly one produces this contact, instead of telling me that I'm not producing...

Actually I already did and NextLevel amended my info to say you can also have the sound when there is some contact with the wood added to the high rebound of the sponge and topsheet. How you get the sound is that you brush but you make deep contact while brushing and your technique has to be good enough to give you serious power on impact.

Also, my equipment is actually not that bad.

I don't know. You may be right. But, from your description of your premade racket I highly, highly doubt it. It really sounds like NextLevel's very honest description of guys telling him: "you don't spin the ball!" And him responding: "I do spin the ball!" Until you understand why you want good, high quality, tensor rubbers that are new enough to really grab the ball, until you understand because you have felt it, you will be able to continue thinking that old, dead, recreational rubber is okay. If it was cheap, Chinese rubber, maybe. But even dead Tensors are not good for learning this stuff.

I know guys who can loop with Antispin. But they didn't learn with antispin. And, even with rubber that is kind of dead, that isn't what you want to use when you are trying to learn what NextLevel means by "SPIN THE BALL."

This should be enough to know you need new rubber. Why don't you try Dawei 2008XP. It is good enough for spinning the ball and only costs $8.00 per sheet.

But anyway, when you say stuff and it sounds like you think you know what it is but probably don't, I guess it gets under my skin because you do it so much. No worries.

says what [IMG]
I'll make right whatever wrong beliefs I might have when I get myself a blade worth putting a good sheet on. Right now, there's no need, and I can still practice spinning the ball with what I have. Even if I'd be far too ashamed to beat on people with my custom setup, I might get a very cheap setup just for practice in the nearby future. 8 dollars a sheet is definitely in my range, and I could compare it to what I have now.

I'd really like to get out a second, better video to give people some reference about the spin level. The last one was terribly lacking. I haven't played much in the past few weeks, though, but perhaps I'll have a chance next week.

In the meanwhile, I'll work on that contact...

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl