Tournament for Average American in: UK, France, Germany, Austria? During Holiday

I'd like to plan a Holiday in one of these countries: UK, France, Germany, Austria. During the summer (June, July, August). I'd like to play in a low-level tournament. My question is how to find out if there are average tournaments open to an average American (tabletennisengland.co.uk is not detailed enough)? I'm not good, however, would like the TT experience.

There are some problems, some countries (ie. France) will not allow non-French club players to compete. UK accepts my USATT membership. The US TT association has reciprocal agreements regarding players as I've emailed the USATT director and learned this information.

And before someone asks what is my USATT rating, here it is: 1133. See, very low level as I enter U1200 events and don't like playing 8-10 year old kids (that are mainly in that category). At my regular club I play against (USATT) 1500-2000 players and win 30%. Also, my age is 56.

Else, a backup plan is to just visit local clubs (I know how to lookup Paris and London TT clubs). If I were to find a Mandarin speaking person that provides tours of cities (my wife speaks Mandarin), I'd pay for those services too.

I've spent 4 days searching, not finding any tournaments open, even in the Fall (September, October). Advice or open tournaments appreciated.

Chuck
Virginia, USA

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hi Chuck,

Just got your PM - I hadn't seen this thread before.

You won't be able to play in any "sanctioned" tournaments in the UK without an ETTA membership number - You might find some local tournaments which happen semi regularly, but it would be a case of looking at the area you were staying in, to see if anything suited.

As for local clubs - I'd imagine most clubs would be accommodating if you just wanted to come down for a knock - Again, I'd check the area you are staying, you'll probably find 2 or 3 within a drivable distance for you to play at.

Don't worry about ability, there is normally a good range of levels at most club "club nights".

If you need any more info, let me know.

Cheers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
I think it's mostly leagues in Europe, and they start around September.
But you need to be affiliated to a club which is affiliated to the national federation and so on.
Random tournaments that you can just walk in and play I think there are not that many, probably also because there is not much demand for them.

Not sure you wanna make the trip there but in Buenos Aires - Argentina, where I'm from, there's the official league affiliated to the federation and there's like a parallel league that plays almost every weekend.
For this parallel league you just show up, pay like 3 dollars and you play the tournament.
There are like 17 million people in that city/area, I think that's why there's so much activity.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Chuck,

You will find there are quite a few tournaments in France over that period (May / June), probably fewer in July, although there will be some if you are in a populated / touristic area.

Regarding entering a normal tournament, if you write to the organiser, they attribute you a ranking and you should be able to play. You do NOT need to have a French licence.

I am currently in the UK, and don't have a French licence myself anymore. I have checked for my friends. This is where I asked the question and was told the rules have changed since the start of the 15-16 season: http://forum.tennis-de-table.com/t/tournoi-francais-et-licence-etrangere
As long as you are registered with a federation that is affiliated to the ITTF, you should be able to play. But contact the organisers well in advance as they might not know and you miay have to explain / request a dummy ranking (they are likley to ask YOU to say what you think your French ranking is!). There will be no exchange of points when you play of course. Some of your opponents might not like it!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Hallo Boogar,

I may just go and hit at clubs. It's sad an average American can't play in an European tournament, however, the reverse can be performed. Anyway, that's the way it is........

Thanks for the offer.
Chuck

Hey there, are you still planning? One of Europe´s biggest tournaments might be a highlight in your travel schedule ;-)

It is called TT News Open and takes place from July 8 to July 10 near Stuttgart, Germany.

On Friday afternoon you could participate in the senior section.
On Friday evening there is an open fun tournament, organised following the "Swiss System". First round is drawn randomly, after that winners face winners, losers faces losers, two-time winners than other two-time winners etc. Usually seven to eight rounds are played, the place is packed, this will end around Midnight.
If you feel like it, you can play in the night owl tournament, or just hang around and practice.

Tournament categories are stretched over Saturday and Sunday, so that you get to compete in at least, but also no more than, two. You would play singles in one class on Saturday and the other on Sunday, doubles are for combined classes, all on Saturday.
Then, if you feel like it and provided you have a partner, you can play mixed doubles. This however is more party than competition, and Caipirinha from the tournament's bar is often seen to replace more typical sports beverages. Expect mixed to end around 4 a.m.

Sunday ends with the Men´s "S" category. In recent years, really good amateurs and semi-pros qualified in the "A" category to face some pros invited for the "S" category. Last year, there were less pros invited and they all canceled on short notice, but they have stand-by from third and second German league and the players who qualify from A are usually from that level, too.

If this inspires you, I will gladly direct you to the tournament´s director so that you can organize participation and accomodation, also to make sure in case one of the categories is already full they try to find a way to make you play as much as you want.

Drop me a line ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I don't know about tournaments in Europe, I've never attempted it.

I found it easy to find places to play in Sweden, Lithuania, Germany and UK, mainly through contacts on table tennis forums. German play seems to slow down a lot in the summer. There are clubs everywhere but most are open only one or two nights a week it seemed to me. On a trip to Heidelberg I did a few hours of internet searching before my trip, found several clubs, found what times they were open, and just showed up. I had my choice of lots of places, so choose one that was just walking distance from the hotel. People were very friendly, I had a great evening and went out for beer with new friends afterword. Fantastic! One of my friends in Germany plays at multiple clubs, when I visited him in Freiburg we played several times, each time at a different place. I found German playing conditions to be very very good and lots of players at all sorts of levels. A lot of the clubs seemed to be in school gyms. I played in Stockholm once in November, it was a bit like the situation in Germany. Lucky too, most of the players at the place I found on the net were about the my own level or thereabouts.

In France one local club in my ex-wife's home town (in France) didn't even want to let me come and hit without my getting a doctor's note certifying that I was fit enough to do it! I doubt that is true everywhere, but that was definitely annoying, and it was a lot harder to find a place (this is true even though I speak French quite well). I travel to France and lot and love the place, but have never actually played there! It's actually ok with me, there is a lot of other stuff I like to do there, like eating, drinking, and driving through beautiful countryside.

No such problems in China. Just need someone who can speak Chinese to help you find a place, a coach, a shop, anything you want.

For me one of the single greatest things about table tennis forums is the ability to set up play during travel.

By the way, is anyone here from the Cologne/Dusseldorf area? That is the place I travel to most in Germany for professional reasons.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Hi Chuck,

If you do come to the UK, then you are more than welcome to come and practice at our full time table tennis centre. We run regular tournaments as well which you can play in. Here is our link:

~http://www.corbysmashttc.co.uk/index.html

This user has no status.
U.K.

Hi Chuck
I assume by UK, you're thinking of London.
Im next to Gatwick and can offer you some serious practice sessions with me in a nearby club
regards
Andy

I'd like to plan a Holiday in one of these countries: UK, France, Germany, Austria. During the summer (June, July, August). I'd like to play in a low-level tournament. My question is how to find out if there are average tournaments open to an average American (tabletennisengland.co.uk is not detailed enough)? I'm not good, however, would like the TT experience.

There are some problems, some countries (ie. France) will not allow non-French club players to compete. UK accepts my USATT membership. The US TT association has reciprocal agreements regarding players as I've emailed the USATT director and learned this information.

And before someone asks what is my USATT rating, here it is: 1133. See, very low level as I enter U1200 events and don't like playing 8-10 year old kids (that are mainly in that category). At my regular club I play against (USATT) 1500-2000 players and win 30%. Also, my age is 56.

Else, a backup plan is to just visit local clubs (I know how to lookup Paris and London TT clubs). If I were to find a Mandarin speaking person that provides tours of cities (my wife speaks Mandarin), I'd pay for those services too.

I've spent 4 days searching, not finding any tournaments open, even in the Fall (September, October). Advice or open tournaments appreciated.

Chuck
Virginia, USA