Rubber Recommendations For This Spec

This user has no status.
Looking for recommendations based on the following:-
Light non-tacky rubber with soft sponge and sparse pimple structure. Preferably rubbers that are reasonably durable.

We are going to need more info to give a better recomendation. Usually you also provide the playing characteristics you want ie speed, spin......
Not sure if this helps but maybe you could try Victas v1 limber? its non tacky, quite light, soft. Not sure about the pimple structure thou. My friend says its durable and from the way she hits the ball and the frequency of how few times she change, Ill say its durable

This user has no status.
A bit of everything really. Like control, use a lot of spin on serves, mainly use under-spin against unde-rspin and topspin against topspin or loop. Block or hit topspin and block loop but don't really loop myself. Looking to get a bit more aggressive by trying to hit more against under-spin particularly on the forehand. My backhand is much stronger. Don't have any problems against topspin or loop but am not great against under-spin on my forehand. Reading tells me that the characteristics would give me the best rubber for helping to lift chop. I'm aware that technique is the true answer but as a veteran I don't think that's going to improve now!

This user has no status.
I'm afraid that it is as you say, the problem lies with your technique. I see that you are using T05 fx. If you have problems looping backspin with that rubber, then changing rubbers wont help as I can't think of any other rubber that can help you while still fitting your criteria. It is afterall one of the few rubbers that require minimum effort to lift backspin. Other good rubbers for lifting backspin tend to be chinese rubbers but they dont fit your criteria as they are generally hard, tacky and require boosting which is illegal.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you want the best answer to looping chop it would either be boosted H3 or Tenergy 05. H3 is hard and T05 is medium hard and neither have "sparse" pimple structure.

But either of those rubbers you have to be able to handle.

In comparison, T64 or T64fx have a sparse pimple structure and T64fx has a soft sponge with that pimple structure and neither are close to as good for looping backspin as T05 or T05fx because they both have a low throw angle which means you have to work harder to arc the ball more. It also means they have a high speed/spin ratio. Whereas, to loop backspin, you want a high throw angle so you can make a high arc as a result of the high spin/speed ratio.

You also should know, you aren't going to achieve success in topspinning backspin if you don't want to learn to loop backspin with a high level of consistency.

What I would actually recommend to you is a rubber like Donic Baracuda which is slow and very spinny and good for refining your loop vs backspin. And then do a simple serve and receive drill a lot.

Here is the recommended drill:

1) you serve short backspin
2) training partner pushes long to the FH side
3) you try to loop

When you are solid with that you can make the push placement anywhere from the middle of the BH side to the wide FH and you have to loop with FH. A good player should actually be able to loop with FH on a long push anywhere from BH corner to wide FH solidly. But that comes after being able to loop backspin solidly when you know where the ball is going.

That kind of drill can really help you get solid at looping backspin with more confidence. At a certain point you will use it as strategy where, if you can get your opponent to push long, you will feel you can take control of the point.

By the way, it is worth doing both sides of that drill so your training partner gets to open the loop vs backspin also.

Good luck.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And FYI, I am 51 years old. I started playing at 44. It is never too late to refine technique and looping topspin isn't that hard. It just requires training the skill in a setting where, if you miss, it doesn't really matter so you can go for it.

This user has no status.
Thanks for all the replies which were interesting and helpful. You 50 year olds are spring chickens compared to me because I've just turned 71 in April! I have played since I was 15 but only started again 2 years ago after a 20 year break because of work. I started again as I've retired and like the exercise and now play 4 times a week. The problem I find on here is that I suspect most of the posters are better than local league players which is what I've always been. I did, however, play in Division 1 of my town league at my peak when the league had 12 divisions although was not a very good Division 1 player. Incidentally, when I started playing in the same league 2 years ago it had gone from 12 divisions to 5 and last years went down to 4! I'm afraid table tennis is a dying sport at local level in the UK. This year our town championships for a town with a population of around 250,000 were played over one day whereas when I was a junior and living in a town with a population of only 55,000 the championships were played over 5 evenings on 8 tables!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
Perhaps a softer sponge will help you get more arc on the ball and would potentially help with the opening ball. Tibhar do have a lot of soft rubbers like Aurus Soft mentioned above which are specialized in creating a higher arc on the ball. Also something like Bluefire JP03 is soft and good for more touchy plays and less 'aggressive' styles.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Thanks for the 2 posts received since I last posted. I notice that's a second recommendation for Aurus Soft. I'm also interested in the Ventus Spin recommendation because I've been trying to cobble together a few possibilities myself but one of my hot contenders was actually Ventus Soft and that seems to be quite similar to Ventus Spin.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks for all the replies which were interesting and helpful. You 50 year olds are spring chickens compared to me because I've just turned 71 in April!

I have friends and training partners in their early 70s who still drill and train opening vs backspin drills. You try for the fun of it without being hung up on getting it. Some cool stuff can happen when you do that. But, even if it doesn't, hopefully training and drills are about fun.

But it is sad that it seems the sport is slowly declining even as the technical skills of the top players are at an all time high.

This user has no status.
Sadly, it's not just table tennis, Carl. It seems as though all sports are going the same way on our side of the pond at least. It's a similar situation in my town in the local football leagues where there are now only a few divisions compared to 14 or 15 when I played. Most of the youngsters seem more interested in playing games on a screen than actually doing it for themselves! We've just finished our table tennis league of 20 matches and I reckon most of the players I've played against are probably ranging from the age of late 40s to early 70s with only 3 or 4 youngsters.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think you are making a really good point. Our high tech world where so many people spend so much of there time looking at glowing screens for work and after work instead of getting wrapped up in doing physical activities.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Add to that the effects of global corporatization and you have a recipe for a health epidemic. Der_Echte would probably start talking about how that is what the pharmaceutical companies want so they make more off your addictions to more and more prescription drugs.