Top 10 defenders in world table tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Hi guys,

I'm a modern defender when I play table tennis. And I love watching Joo se hyuk, Panagiotis Gionis on youtube and seeing the pro modern defenders in action.

But does anyone know, going by the world rankings, the top 10 defenders in world table tennis? I'd like to watch some other players on YouTube.

If anyone can give me the top 10 defenders and their ranking that would be amazing.

Thanks everyone :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Joo Se Hyuk, Gionis Panagiotis, Yuto Muramatsu, Masato Shiono, Adam Pattantyus, Jang Song Man, Ruwen Filus, Hou Yingchao.

Older choppers that are great to watch are Ding Song and Matsushita.

Don't forget there are a tonne of choppers in the women's too like Pavlovich and Kim Kyung Ah (Her matches are awesome)

This user has no status.
Hi guys,

I'm a modern defender when I play table tennis. And I love watching Joo se hyuk, Panagiotis Gionis on youtube and seeing the pro modern defenders in action.

But does anyone know, going by the world rankings, the top 10 defenders in world table tennis? I'd like to watch some other players on YouTube.

If anyone can give me the top 10 defenders and their ranking that would be amazing.

Thanks everyone :)

Let’s see. This would be my mastermind topic!
All the good ones have been mentioned. For pure entertainment, but maybe not effectiveness (though that’s a whole other topic) you gotta love Shiono and Matsushita. And Pavlovich shows awesome guts. Ruwen Filus is probably my favourite and the style I most try to copy.
I’d maybe just add Sas Lasan (I think Slovenian – he’s got a strange style – esp his forehand chop). And a Chinese chopper - I read that they have two who practice with the national team – can’t remember the other one. The one I know is Ma Te. He has an awesome twiddling backhand inverted kill shot off backspin. He beat Zhang Jike in Chinese trials pretty recently.
And who could forget good ole Fabian Akerstrom from Sweden! He’s got a unique style – but hasn’t been the same since they banned frictionless long pips. A former national champ! Really interesting to watch his twiddling and mid-range chopping.
There are others … Richard Gonzalez from Philippines. There’s even an antispin blocker from Luxemburg – the only international antispin player I know – you could find his name easily on Google. I could go on. But the quality players have been mentioned.

Reactions: Suga D
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Also if you can find some videos of them on youtube there are a couple of good chinese choppers who were in the USA one is called Wei Wang and was about 80 in the world for Spain, the other is Guan Qing Feng who was almost Chinese national team and lost in the 7th to Crisan at last year's US Open. One other is Li Kewei who was also top 100 in the world and played for Malta and now lives in the USA.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
There a wordpress blog dedicated as sanctuary of every high level chopper in the word, and,

If I am not mistaken, there is a journal by martinspin somewhere about monthly performance of every high level chopper in the word.

You should go to both. :)

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks BeGo. Do you have a link by chance?

This user has no status.
Let’s see. This would be my mastermind topic!
All the good ones have been mentioned. For pure entertainment, but maybe not effectiveness (though that’s a whole other topic) you gotta love Shiono and Matsushita. And Pavlovich shows awesome guts. Ruwen Filus is probably my favourite and the style I most try to copy.
I’d maybe just add Sas Lasan (I think Slovenian – he’s got a strange style – esp his forehand chop). And a Chinese chopper - I read that they have two who practice with the national team – can’t remember the other one. The one I know is Ma Te. He has an awesome twiddling backhand inverted kill shot off backspin. He beat Zhang Jike in Chinese trials pretty recently.
And who could forget good ole Fabian Akerstrom from Sweden! He’s got a unique style – but hasn’t been the same since they banned frictionless long pips. A former national champ! Really interesting to watch his twiddling and mid-range chopping.
There are others … Richard Gonzalez from Philippines. There’s even an antispin blocker from Luxemburg – the only international antispin player I know – you could find his name easily on Google. I could go on. But the quality players have been mentioned.

Ma Te is a hell of a defender, I enjoy him with Joo just as equal !!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
There a wordpress blog dedicated as sanctuary of every high level chopper in the word, and,

https://tabletennisdefenders.wordpress.com/

If I am not mistaken, there is a journal by martinspin somewhere about monthly performance of every high level chopper in the word.

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=26826

You should go to both. :)

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

That's a very nice Wordpress blog, I wonder how come I never saw it before (OK, not a lot of posts lately, but very nice collection of videos)

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
That's a very nice Wordpress blog, I wonder how come I never saw it before (OK, not a lot of posts lately, but very nice collection of videos)
Your post also hold true when read backward,

We need new bloods of defenders. ?????(>?<)?????

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk