Who's playstyle do you ADMIRE the most?

This user has no status.
Matsushita Koji. Among the most beautiful chopping style to watch.

Hard to find videos of Ding Song, Takashima Norio, and the "old European Word Champion Defender I Forgot Her Name Sorry", but they may in same level of fluidity or better than Koji.

Among new players, Jang Song Man, and then Shiono Masato.

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Amongst the players that don't play no more: Jan Ove Waldner, Michael Maze, Jörgen Persson, Ryu Seung-Min, Geir Erlandsen, Ma Lin.

Amongst the players of today: Ma Long, Pär Gerell, Dimitrij Ovtcharov, Vladimir Samsonov.

Why not so many chinese? Hmm... Don't know. They don't seem too fantastic, I mean they are supreme, but not in the X-factor way or something like that haha.

So many good players to pick from, but these are the 10 I managed to narrow it down to :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Waldner and Samsonov for their overview and placement as well as mixing up attack and defence. Both of them also have a very fluid technique. Waldner's forehand is a thing of beauty, so is his service game.

Boll for just how good you have to be to play like him. I don't think anyone takes the ball so early. His playing style is potentially the most deadly and if you attack his forehand, you will lose, no matter who you are.

Ma Long for how he can somehow always play a strong shot, no matter what position he is in. It's crazy.

Zhang Jike for how darn good his short-game is and how he can silence any opponent over the table.

Wang Hao for perhaps being the first player ever to have no obvious weakness whatsoever. Also the only player ever who mastered the RPB.

Joo Se Hyuk for his attitude.

Ahh, there are too many.

Reactions: Cornel
This user has no status.
Amongst the players that don't play no more: Jan Ove Waldner, Michael Maze, Jörgen Persson, Ryu Seung-Min, Geir Erlandsen, Ma Lin.

Amongst the players of today: Ma Long, Pär Gerell, Dimitrij Ovtcharov, Vladimir Samsonov.

Why not so many chinese? Hmm... Don't know. They don't seem too fantastic, I mean they are supreme, but not in the X-factor way or something like that haha.

So many good players to pick from, but these are the 10 I managed to narrow it down to :)

Chinese are very-very-very good, but they have kind of a standardized(robotic) game, so it's not as entertaining to watch as Waldner or Maze (can't say that about Xu Xin, though, this guy really likes to entertain the public). Today's game consists mainly of a serve and then either a chop or counterlooping game, very little variety, so it gets kind of boring(I guess Waldner mentioned that in a recent interview) :(

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Chinese are very-very-very good, but they have kind of a standardized(robotic) game, so it's not as entertaining to watch as Waldner or Maze (can't say that about Xu Xin, though, this guy really likes to entertain the public). Today's game consists mainly of a serve and then either a chop or counterlooping game, very little variety, so it gets kind of boring(I guess Waldner mentioned that in a recent interview) :(

Yes, that is what I meant!

The chinese style today is like watching robots, that ain't fun.. But ofc there is exceptions like Xu Xin.

The Europeans are more fun to watch IMO, and allthough the playing styles are also quite similar in Europe, you are still able to tell who is who - just by watching the game :)

Reactions: Cornel
says what [IMG]

Ahh, I was wanting to mention Ryu Seung-Min but chose not to. Today after I got up, I watched a game of his and immediately regretted my decision.

Absolutely the best footwork and a forehand to match or outdo the Chinese, when he was in his heyday.

says Aging is a killer

You have to separate the CNT players from the rest of the Chinese. Drop a couple of levels from CNT, and you will see some very interesting styles of high level play.

This user has no status.
Like my profile picture already indicates the player who I admire the most is Zoran Primorac. The reason why is that he is two winged player with a great attitude, in terms of pushing himself to the max, and an old-school backhand, which he doesn't use only for topspins or blocks but also for counterpunches kinda like J. O.

Two other players who I admire a lot as well are Timo Boll because of his flawless technique as well as sportsmanship and, since he has the best all-around game of all time, Zhang Jike.

But my No 1 is Primo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Non-active: Erich Arndt, Christian Dreher, Guo Yuehua, Mikael Appelgren, Dragutin Surbek, Jörg Rosskopf, Michael Maze
Olga Nemes, Nicole Struse, Diane Schöler

Active: Zhang JiKe, Ma Long, Timo Boll, Xu Xin, Vladimir Samsonov, Michael Maze.
Petrissa Solja, Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen

Michael Maze twice, 'cause i still somehow refuse to believe he's retired.
:p

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Surprised nobody has mentioned Gatien. Or if someone did, somehow I missed it. Saive is also awesome and I am not sure I saw him mentioned.

So many beautiful players to watch.

It really is sad that Maze's career was so riddled with injuries that we never got to see his full potential.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Surprised nobody has mentioned Gatien. Or if someone did, somehow I missed it. Saive is also awesome and I am not sure I saw him mentioned.

So many beautiful players to watch.

It really is sad that Maze's career was so riddled with injuries that we never got to see his full potential.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Carl is a chicken-wing loop fan!:mad::p;):rolleyes::cool::eek::D