says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
for FZD it was important cause he would qualify if he won the final in stage 1
Now most likely LGL will chose ZJK I guess

I believe they have to win their spots by tournament or world ranking. Not by LGL choosing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I believe they have to win their spots by tournament or world ranking. Not by LGL choosing.

Yes but in stage 2 the rules are clear. If one country gets 1 spot in stage 1 , then only one player can compete from that country in stage 2. And I dont see anywhere that the no2 of the tournament (FZD in this case) gets a second chance to qualify so they leave it to the countries to decide.

So whether it will be fzd zjk or xx even if they dont make it they are qualified through the world rankings. The 3rd player for the team event must qualify but Im not 100 % sure about this I dont remember the rules right now :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I heard Adam Bobrow saying that the Chinese Women are not going to participate in stage 2, is that because the coaching staff want to reserve that decision or because of any other reason ? Is there any update on whether the chinese Men will be competing in stage to ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I heard Adam Bobrow saying that the Chinese Women are not going to participate in stage 2, is that because the coaching staff want to reserve that decision or because of any other reason ? Is there any update on whether the chinese Men will be competing in stage to ?

Chinese men are not participating either. IMO, both events were more for the young guns (ZYL and FZD) to prove something. LXX upset the apple cart slightly and LSW is now in shock at what might be a vanishing chance for an Olympic singles medal.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
But then it would mean that Fan Zhendong will automatically qualify for the second spot ? Is it not ?
Chinese men are not participating either. IMO, both events were more for the young guns (ZYL and FZD) to prove something. LXX upset the apple cart slightly and LSW is now in shock at what might be a vanishing chance for an Olympic singles medal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
But then it would mean that Fan Zhendong will automatically qualify for the second spot ? Is it not ?

Only the winner of stage 1 qualifies. After that, your country has to nominate you if you don't play stage 2. So if they wanted to replace ML now, he cannot play any event at the Olympics. Having the team just play day 1 gives them full flexibility other than the winner of day 1. Had they played stage 2, then the order of qualification would limit their options.

So LXX has made sure that nothing can be done to remove her other than her becoming seriously injured. ZYL and FZD could have done the same.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
I believe that the Chinese Olympic Committee can decide that Fan doesn't go to the Olympics even if he qualifies - either through the qualification tournament or through the world rankings? The Swedish Olympic Committee actually did that (twice, I think?) to Matilda Ekholm, because they only wanted to send athletes to the Olympics who had at least a little chance of winning a medal :(

So by choosing who doesn't get to play, they can basically choose who does - because the "remaining" player(s) will qualify through their world rankings.

To be fair, I'm not at all sure about this. But none of the news/articles I've read quoting the CNT, indicates that the CNT DOESN'T deside for themselves which players will play at the Olympics. So until I see concrete evidence to the contrary, I believe that the CNT is in total control! :cool:

This user has no status.
Ok, ML is clear and good to go!

BUT I'm not being able to decipher the rules.

Any unused quota places obtained at the Continental Qualification Tournaments will be reallocated to thenext best-placed eligible athlete of the same gender, not yet qualified, from the respective ContinentalQualification Tournament.

Any unused quota place obtained through the ITTF Olympic Singles Ranking list will be reallocated to thenext best-ranked eligible athlete of the same gender, not yet qualified, on the ITTF Olympic Singles Rankinglist of May 2016.

China will have one unused quota place because of their no-show in stage II, right? And then it is the highest ranked player on the Olympic ranking, which is FZD.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Ok, ML is clear and good to go!

BUT I'm not being able to decipher the rules.

China will have one unused quota place because of their no-show in stage II, right? And then it is the highest ranked player on the Olympic ranking, which is FZD.

not necessarily. the chinese can select either zjk or xx . all of the 3 players are qualified via ranking list so its a matter of the coaches now

This user has no status.
I'd love too see the match between XX and Chuang Chih-Yuan. They have met 7 times and XX has lost a total of 4 games(!). It is absolutely beyond belief that XX would lose. Do you think there is any foul play from the CNT? The match between ML and ZJK was a bore, I think the waist injury of ZJK was prohibiting some movement. I mean, he beat ML recently!

Reactions: Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'd love too see the match between XX and Chuang Chih-Yuan. They have met 7 times and XX has lost a total of 4 games(!). It is absolutely beyond belief that XX would lose. Do you think there is any foul play from the CNT? The match between ML and ZJK was a bore, I think the waist injury of ZJK was prohibiting some movement. I mean, he beat ML recently!

Every time CCY plays, whether he wins or loses, don't you see the eye of the tiger? If not look closer. It doesn't matter how many times he loses. I am sure if he gets enough chances, FZD will go down too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
[Full Matches in Short Form]

# STAGE 1 (Men's Final) [=> 1st ticket!]

# STAGE 1 (Men's Semifinal)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Okay, so from what I understand, LGL will not choose anything.
The decision not to send anyone into the stage 2 made it clear to qualify players according to the olympic rankings..
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_ranking/olympic_singles_ranking/
So we have to wait for the olympic rankings of May, because the rules say that is the month from where they pick players according to the rankings.
LSW in april is 62 points ahead of Ding Ning. But she might lose points because of the loss to Doo Hoi Kem.
But also Ding will lose points for loss to Ito Mima.
Ito Mima will gain some points thanks to beating Ding, but I dont think she will surpass Fukuhara with 150 more points.
For men its
FZD 3256
XX 3153
ZJK 3058
From that it looks like ML vs. FZD final of the OG. With XX as the thirs player into teams, if he will not lose 100 points for losing to Chuang, which I dont think happens..