says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Asian Rio Olympic Qualification Tournament, 13th April to 17th April 2016, Hong Kong

The Asian qualification tournament for the Rio Olympics 2016 will take place this week in Hong Kong. China's top 4 have all entered in both the mens and womens singles events. Who will the Chinese team be for the upcoming Rio Olympics? There have been numerous topics and discussions on what the Chinese National Team will be. The time has come, the qualifications for the Asian Olympic Tournament begin on the 13th and conclude on the 17th April.

Live streaming below:

Men's Singles Seeds

Ma Long, the World #1 has entered the Qualification Tournament as the #1 seed.

malongkuwaitopen2016.jpg

Ma Long no.1 seed - Photo by: ITTF Flickr

01) Ma Long
02) Fan Zhendong
03) Xu Xin
04) Zhang Jike
05) Chuang Chih Yuan
06) Jun Mizutani
07) Wong Chun Ting
08) Tang Peng
09) Jung Youngsik
10) Koki Niwa
11) Lee Sangsu
12) Maharu Yoshimura
13) Ho Kwan Kit
14) Jiang Tianyi
15) Chen Chien An
16) Chiang Hung Chieh

Women's Singles Seeds

liushiwenkuwaitopen2016.jpg

Liu Shiwen enters as the no.1 seed - Photo by: ITTF Flickr

01) Liu Shiwen
02) Ding Ning
03) Zhu Yuling
04) Kasumi Ishikawa
05) Li Xiaoxia
06) Ai Fukuhara
07) Mima Ito
08) Seo Hyowon
09) Cheng I Ching
10) Jeon Jihee
11) Tie Yana
12) Lee Ho Ching
13) Doo Hoi Kem
14) Chen Szu-Yu
15) Jiang Huajun
16) Ri Myong Sun

For full player entries click here and event playing schedule here.

Live streaming!

Coming soon...

The Asian Rio Olympic Qualification Tournament will be spectacular with all the best Asian players looking to qualify for the fast approaching Rio Olympics. Who will qualify? Ma Long leads the men's singles standings followed closely by compatriots Fan Zhendong, Xu Xin and Zhang Jike. Will Jun Mizutani find form in this tournament or will young contenders such as Ho Kwan Kit cause a dent in the draw?

A fantastic event to follow, be sure to get involved on the TTD discussion.

We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from Asian qualifications for Rio Olympics! What are your predictions from each event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Administrator
Oct 2010
Draw for the Stage 1 has been released!

Men East Asia

asiaqualifications1.jpg

Women East Asia

asiaqualifications2.jpg

Men South East Asia

asiaqualifications3.jpg

Women South East Asia

asiaqualifications4.jpg

Men Central Asia

asiaqualifications5.jpg

Women Central Asia

asiaqualifications6.jpg

Men West Asia

asiaqualifications7.jpg

Women West Asia

asiaqualifications8.jpg

Reactions: Suga D
Administrator
Oct 2010
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
After losing does Liu Shiven still has any other options to participate in RIO?

Yes, this is just the first elimination, where each country is allowed to let 4 players play. there is supposed to be a second elimination where only 2 players of each country are allowed to participate. Plus those who didn't make it, can be nominated depending on their WRL rank, but only if he/she has participated in the first elimination in Hongkong.
So no worries for LSW.
[Emoji3]

Reactions: fanTT
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The thing I am most happy about is, I will be much easier to explain when someone doesn't qualify that they simply didn't qualify. That it wasn't Liu Gouliang playing favorites. It doesn't matter who gets in. If any of the top CNT players don't make the singles event, it wasn't LGL. It was how they performed in this qualifier event.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The thing I am most happy about is, I will be much easier to explain when someone doesn't qualify that they simply didn't qualify. That it wasn't Liu Gouliang playing favorites. It doesn't matter who gets in. If any of the top CNT players don't make the singles event, it wasn't LGL. It was how they performed in this qualifier event.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Not sure if this is completely true, but I know what you mean.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
http://ittf.com/Ol_Qual/2016AS/2016_AQT_Prospectus.pdf

Paragraph 10.4

Players who took part in Stage I of the Asian Qualification event, but failed to gain one of the5 quota places may play in Stage II of the event, with a condition that there is a maximum oftwo (2) players (per gender) from each Association. This maximum will be reduced to one (1)for the Association that has already gained one quota place in Stage I of the tournament.

So from east asia where china is, if Ma long for example earns the spot, then LGL will be forced to choose 1 player between XX ZJK and FZD. I dont see any other rule that states something different.

Regardless their result in the semifinal, I speculate ZJK and ML will be in Rio, (unless of course they lose to FZD or XX in the final) . It would be great surprise and thrill for me to see FZD earning the 1st spot, but on the other hand we wont have the chance to see ZJK and ML in an olympic final