says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Michael_Z, I hope you are right and that is how things fall. I hope Liu Gouliang can't submit one name at a time to qualify based on rank. Like, one name for the second spot. And then one more name for the third spot.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I know thats how the rules read , but I am inclined the other way reading ZJK s interview after the semi he was not very concerned. Well tabletennista might have done a job on the translation as they typically do, who knows .....
Michael_Z, I hope you are right and that is how things fall. I hope Liu Gouliang can't submit one name at a time to qualify based on rank. Like, one name for the second spot. And then one more name for the third spot.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I know thats how the rules read , but I am inclined the other way reading ZJK s interview after the semi he was not very concerned. Well tabletennista might have done a job on the translation as they typically do, who knows .....

Yep. I am thinking that LGL may put ZJK's name in for consideration for the second spot and whatever else he does.

Well, the important thing is, ML won his spot. So he will go. There won't be complaints about why LGL didn't choose him.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Okay, so from what I understand, LGL will not choose anything.
The decision not to send anyone into the stage 2 made it clear to qualify players according to the olympic rankings..
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_ranking/olympic_singles_ranking/
So we have to wait for the olympic rankings of May, because the rules say that is the month from where they pick players according to the rankings.
LSW in april is 62 points ahead of Ding Ning. But she might lose points because of the loss to Doo Hoi Kem.
But also Ding will lose points for loss to Ito Mima.
Ito Mima will gain some points thanks to beating Ding, but I dont think she will surpass Fukuhara with 150 more points.
For men its
FZD 3256
XX 3153
ZJK 3058
From that it looks like ML vs. FZD final of the OG. With XX as the thirs player into teams, if he will not lose 100 points for losing to Chuang, which I dont think happens..

Since the chinese federation will have to nominate one player more in the top 22 world rankings I guess LGL and the coaching staff will eventually decide who will go.

From a chinese user (translated an article) in another forum I read that the CNT wanted to give LXX a farewell gift giving her one slot for Rio (probably se will retire after OG) but now ding ning lsw made the decision even easier for them

What Im trying to say is that I find it more possible if LGL gives XX or ZJK aslot for singles since FZD will have at least 3 chances in the upcoming future

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Sorry, am I the only one who thinks that the Asian Qualification is so hard to understand?I do not know who has qualified yet.

There are 2 stages. One player is qualified from each region (east asia, middle asia, south east asia etc etc) both in stage 1 and 2.

when a player wins the slot in stage 1 (like ma long did) then the country he is representing has the right to send only 1 player in stage 2. If china send FZD and he qualified through stage 2 for example then china would send ML and FZD for example

Now if a player fails to qualify through the qualifiers he can automatically qualify through the world rankings if he is in the top 22 ranking list. So china didnt sent anyone on purpose in stage 2 so they could choose which player they will send

Now for player no3 who participates in the team event, just read the rules here

http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/USA_...ficationSystem-FINAL-TableTennis-EN.pdf?la=en

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Why LGL didn´t send anyone to stage 2?

Obviously he has his reasons. First of all he doesnt need to, all of his players are qualified through the ranking list since they competed in the asian trials. So maybe he didnt want to risk any injuries or more fatigue to his players? im just speculating.

Through his public statements through the past 4 months he indicated that he wanted ML and ZJK for rio but we will just have to wait and see cause nothing is official yet, only that ML is going to rio for sure

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Ok, it's quite possible that LGL doesn´t want to risk an injury. But as far I understand he only can take 3 players to Rio. Who do you think he will leave out? (Sorry if I ask so many questions)

Well since china has a specific "Tradition" on whom to send . Im guessing XX ZJK and ML with XX playing in team event.

Even if youngster chinese destroy the big names like FZD or Yan an did sometimes, they still dont send them in top events because 99 % of the time they are not ready to handle the pressure, or even if they are the coaching staff isnt willing to take any risks, besides they dont haveto

Zhang jike and ma long were starting to dominate against the previous 3 top names (wang hao ma lin wang liqin) in 2007-09 , but obviously they werent allowed to compete in top events like olympics or world team champs. Note that zhang jike was 2 times chinese national champion then, yet his first great event was in 2010 world teams and this happened because wang hao was playing so poorly during the previous year

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Its like noone considered this:
2nd spot will be choosen by the rankings.. And that means FZD for China. From how I see that, FZD should be qualified anyways and he should be qualified into the singles event.. If they choose third option, from what I understand, it will be just for the team event.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
We considered this, if you see my post earlier, the rule says that there will be an olympic ranking published after streamlining the ITTF ranking lists for players who are not playing etc . , however it does not specific the criteria , does not explicitly say that the guy who is top ranked in that list other than the guy who has already qualified will automatically go through.

So there is a loophole where the coaching team/federation gets to choose the 2nd and the 3rd players provided they are in that list ...

How else would you explain china not playing in the 2nd stage for either men's or women's, or Zhang Jike casually saying that this was a good test of the preparations or the portugal federation offering the third spot to a certain player if he decides to not participate in the first stage.

Somehow, they have to figure out a way to stop this . I think the federation should have a flexibility of choosing one , may be the second player for singles but the team should get automatically chosen . Somehow I feel its really unfair for the third guy

2nd spot will be choosen by the rankings.. And that means FZD for China. From how I see that, FZD should be qualified anyways and he should be qualified into the singles event.. If they choose third option, from what I understand, it will be just for the team event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

The national team can nominate which player they will send so its not strictly a matter of ranking since top 22 slots automatically qualify, the coached know that . After all if FZD was qualified, there would be an official announcement/article news. Everytime the chinese roster is announced tabletennista posts some interviews

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
The ranking won't say much. In 2012 olympics, Ma Long was number 1 in the world, yet they sent Wang Hao and Zhang Jike.

I hope Xu Xin gets a chance since Zhang Jike already went and won in 2012.

It's sad that with this new limit, some top chinese players can't get a shot at winning the olympics.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
The ranking won't say much. In 2012 olympics, Ma Long was number 1 in the world, yet they sent Wang Hao and Zhang Jike.

I hope Xu Xin gets a chance since Zhang Jike already went and won in 2012.

It's sad that with this new limit, some top chinese players can't get a shot at winning the olympics.

Enough with this story already. Ma long WAS NOT no1 ranked, for selection in olympics.

Olympics in london were decided by rankings of may 2011. Wang hao and zhang jike were no 1 and no2 back then (ma long was no5 because of semifinal loss and previous injuries) , so the singles were already decided from may 2011. If LGL wanted ML to play then he should exclude one of zhang jike and wang hao out of olympics singles AND teams.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Enough with this story already. Ma long WAS NOT no1 ranked, for selection in olympics.

Olympics in london were decided by rankings of may 2011. Wang hao and zhang jike were no 1 and no2 back then (ma long was no5 because of semifinal loss and previous injuries) , so the singles were already decided from may 2011. If LGL wanted ML to play then he should exclude one of zhang jike and wang hao out of olympics singles AND teams.

He came out of lurking to post that...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016

I'm not sure what you're talking about... Ma Long was number 1 in March 2012 and April 2012. (/showthread.php?2382-March-World-Rankings-2012)

I can't link yet but you can see the Ranking from the page in this actual forum.

There's no May in the forum, but simply googling "WR_02_May_2012_No_05.pdf" will get you the official rankings for May 2012. Ma Long again is ranked number 1, and not number 5 as you state.

Please cite your facts before talking randomness.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

I'm not sure what you're talking about... Ma Long was number 1 in March 2012 and April 2012. (/showthread.php?2382-March-World-Rankings-2012)

I can't link yet but you can see the Ranking from the page in this actual forum.

There's no May in the forum, but simply googling "WR_02_May_2012_No_05.pdf" will get you the official rankings for May 2012. Ma Long again is ranked number 1, and not number 5 as you state.

oh god. here we go again.

let me clarify this for you with caps : SINGLES TICKETS IN LONDON 2012 WERE DECIDED FROM MAY RANKINGS 2011. 2011. 2011. 2011 !!! 2 0 1 1 . OK NOW ??

in may 2011 ma long was not number 1. end of story. You obviously didnt know the exact rules for london olympics and what the situation was.

one more time

tickets in london olympics were decided from rankings of may 2011.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
http://www.ittf.com/World_Events/2012OG/Qual_system_OG2012_EN.pdf

1st paragraph of the 2nd page

The top twenty-eight (28) eligible players on the first ITTF World Ranking published following the 2011World Championships to be held in Rotterdam (Netherlands), from 8 to 15 of May 2011 will be qualified,with a maximum of two (2) players per NOC.In case of an exact tie for the last direct qualifying position, reference will be made to the previous WorldRanking List and the better ranked player will qualify. If still tied, reference would be made to the previousWorld Ranking List and so on until the tie is broken.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

The players for the first and second slot in the London 2012 Olympics Singles event were decided by the world rankings after the April/May 2011 WTTC where ZJK won and Wang Hao came in second. But at the time WH was #1 and ZJK was #2, Ma Lin was #4 (but the #3 CNT player, Timo was #3) and Ma Long was the #5 player and the 4th from CNT.

Ma Long went to the Asia Qualifier event for the spot on the Team event in April 2012. He lost in the first round finals to Koki Niwa but got his spot in the team event when he won the 2nd round of the event.

Ma Long did not qualify for the Singles Event in the London 2012 Olympics.

However, you are correct, in May 2012 Ma Long was #1. But in that Olympic Games in 2012 the first 2 slots were decided by the world ranking after the 2011 WTTC as TTFrenzy has already explained.

The question here is, can LGL decide who to put forward for selection and qualifying for the singles slot. Or will it be entirely decided by Olympic Ranking.

If it is decided my Olympic Ranking, it should be FZD in Singles and XX joining ML and FZD for the Team Event with ZJK as an alternate or really, a bench warmer.

But if LGL can select who is put forward for consideration for the second choice and then choose again for the third spot, then it could be any combination of those three great players.

I actually am not sure if LGL can select who gets put forward for consideration of not.

But we know one thing, for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, Ma Long IS IN.

I am content to wait a few more weeks to find out what the rest of the lineup will be.

We will see if the International Olympic Committee opened the door for LGL to be able to choose however he wants or not.

But, whoever goes, I hope we see some upsets and some medals for countries other than China.

Last edited: