Need fitness training advice for competitive table tennis

This user has no status.
How old are you? How much do you weigh? When was your last physical? Have you ever been to a podiatrist or been fitted with custom orthotics before?

I myself hit 35, and am no longer 25, am grossly overweight and after a knee injury and a recent foot injury realizes a little late that there are corrective and preventative measures one should take (especially after a certain) age to be able go hard.

At 25 I was 5% body fat, rock climbing, b(asket)ballin, working out twice a day. Now, I'm married, two kids and an 8 hour a day desk job has me pushing 20+% body fat.

I could have a serious workout regiment one month and go the next 3 doing nothing (nature of my job). Currently in in the rebuild phase after a long haitus, and the most important thing I can suggest is
1) stretch, stretch and stretch
2) baby steps, start small
3) healthy diet with possible protein supplement to speed recovery time
3) research proper technique especially when running (heel first = bad!)
4) corrective measures, I have bad arches which can translate to a host of other problem including knees, back, ankles etc, so I have proper orthotics in my shoes to prevent that
5) pace yourself, you can't sprint a marathon.

Txs for the advice. Im mid 20s. 5kg away from being underweight, healthy with no medical problems and do not smoke with balance diet. Have not seen an orthotics. Going to start with baby steps

Reactions: fais
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The more your workouts feel like they are TT related, the more interest you will go into them with and the more willingness to challenge yourself and learn.

All working out involves learning skills as well as improving strength, endurance and function.

If you make the learning part understandably related to the sport you love and are doing them for, you will put more into your workouts and get more out of them.

All those drills I showed in my videos, the foot and lower body/upper body coordination your body will learn while playing with them, are things that will give your whole body including your feet more knowledge with the increased strength and endurance.

It is worth making the workouts fun.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Circuit training will give you the best hit you need. Its a combination of fast and slow mvments coordinated by your higher center which is the brain, its a test of mental str and full body coordination, doin high intensity training while training your mind to be calm entering to take that deeper focus. 2months of circuit can make a very big diffrence in your game. And yes lifestyle modification eat healthy as much as possible if you can avoid alcohol and smoking. I personally dont recommend running marathon killing yourself to reach 21k, we are not runners..we are table tennis players and if you wanna burn yourself out lets pop you up on a multiball drills and work on your consistency till you feel chest tightness and so you attained a good cardio without wasting time running forward all the way.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
f1202c3e3be6e748030532306f91a2aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Circuit training will give you the best hit you need. Its a combination of fast and slow mvments coordinated by your higher center which is the brain, its a test of mental str and full body coordination, doin high intensity training while training your mind to be calm entering to take that deeper focus. 2months of circuit can make a very big diffrence in your game.

This is the important stuff. Lots of ways of doing it. But that kind of work is the most efficient way of kicking your cardio endurance and stamina into gear.

Reactions: Rajah*