Weight training to help with your TT

This user has no status.
Hi guys,i been playing for some time now ,but recently strained my knee ,nothing serious but my Doc told me to go easy on the exersices for a while,well its been a while and i need to strenghten my knees and the rest of my body ,so my question is ,are you guys doing any weight training prior to some tournament,championship or any game ?or do you complement your game with weight training ?if so what exersices you do? thanks guys

This user has no status.
I come at this approach a little differently than most - I am a competitive powerlifter and I started that about a year before I started taking TT seriously. I am a HUGE fan of the basics and suggest a program based around improving your strength in the Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Military Press, and Row. The book, Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe will give you every bit of information you need on the aforementioned exercises and lay out the exact program that will help you. If you do these free weight exercises correctly and push yourself, I guarantee you'll get fitter and your joints will feel better and healthier. Best of luck!

Reactions: Paccheco
This user has no status.
Just as a disclaimer - if you are skinny, you may add a little mass with this program but nothing that will hold you back. If you're heavier, you may lose a little weight with this program. Again, nothing that will hurt you (I am 5'8 and 190 pounds and still don't see any adverse effects, even on my knees, hips, and ankles). So far, I have been able to continuously compete in both TT and powerlifting concurrently and haven't seen any adverse effects. Granted, I would never schedule a max effort lifting session the day before a tournament or anything. But I have found that playing TT while fatigued from lifting has actually helped my match performance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Also recommend Starting Strength - I add 1-2 kilograms and after that program was much more stronger than before.

This user has no status.
I think general weight training is great for all round health, and the advice given sounds good. For table tennis specifically I'd concentrate on abs and legs, though. Ovtcharov even said he never lifts weights to bulk arms. I think time at the table is exercise enough for arms. I've seen videos of the Chinese do upper body and even wrist work outs so who knows. For your knee I'd take care not to stress it too much, and make sure you step on the ball of your foot while playing to put less pressure on the joint

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Reactions: Adam Chappell
This user has no status.
If you have knee troubles, pay special attention to keeping your weight on your heels in the squat and make sure you squat deep. Shallow squats (with too short of a range of motion) will put extra shear stress on your patellar tendon and your knees will hurt. Bottom line is, don't try to be a hero with your weights, at least not in the beginning.

This user has no status.
swimming is a very nice full body workout and also useful in injury rehabilitation but actually very bad as far as injury prevention goes. your muscles are getting a great workout but your tendons and ligaments are getting used to an environment with decreased body weight and no impact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajah*
This user has no status.
Guys thanks a bunch for all your comments ,thanks izra,chuckjordan, i tried swimming but the free movement kinda hurt more so i stoped,im now starting with weights high reps low volume ,havent tried squats just yet ,i did upper body and i also have a bike which the doctor told me was great exersice ,thekleifheit13 thanks man will do ,D_Nizzle i didnt know about that tho

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Modern training, hitting all aspects is that we incorporate circuit training.. station by station to the next, switching every 60 secs. 15 mins non stop then 7mins rest. Good for 3 reps then you are all burned up. Rest 20mins then followed by table drills. There is no need to lift heavy wts, when mucles undergo hypertrophy and you gain more mass..it will slow you down hence a disadvantage

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
makes sense Rajah but the strenthening of some key muscles,not bulking up just for strength is what i mean

This notion that lifting weights will cause one to "bulk up" is mostly fallacious. Bulk and mass comes from supplementing intense workout with heavy supplements to push your body beyond its natural state. A lot of "bulk" you notice in lifters is due to high caloric intake and in many cases, growth hormones. Even heavy lifting supplemented with proper nutrition and appropriate protien intake will never cause you to "bulk" up either.

You won't bulk up if you lift weights, I promise you.

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
fais is spot on here. You'll gain a little, especially if TT is the only strenuous activity you do, but nothing that'll hinder you. It took me 4 years of intense training while eating everything in sight twice to gain 40 pounds. If you're smart about it you'll reap benefits with almost 0 risk.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Squats squats squats, starting strength is awesome for weight lifting training though it can be tough to do 3 days of squatting per week if you also play a lot of table tennis.

And the muscle gains you get will help you far more than being afraid of the weight gain. It's all about calories in and out... Though beginner weightlifters often see muscle gains even on a "neutral" calorie intake.