Polish Open 2016

This user has no status.
From the current list i think its more appropriate to call this open the Japan open rather than polish open :p. Jokes aside im quite happy so see so many new japanese players in this open and they are quite good. Wish more countries have such development teams instead of the 1 or 2 Super stars which disappear with age.

Reactions: Cantaloop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Why someone just can't tell Dimitrij Ovtcharov that his serve is way too simplistic compared to Jun Mizutani's serve which is way beyond his level of serving. Just look at Jun Mizutani's effective mix of deceptive arm swinging coupled with great ball impact compared to Dima's very basic arm serving moves (at least when it comes to top professional players in the world).

Just watch Jun Mizutani closely receiving Dima's serve and he seems to have little trouble counter-looping it and figuring it out than Dima's receiving Jun Mizutani serves which are way more complicated.

Dimitrij Ovtcharov really needs to improve more varieties in his service if he wants to win against top players in the world.

This user has no status.
The best deceptions are the ones we don't see. Ever seen Samsonov's backhand serve? It looks like a serve someone would do having played tt for just a few weeks, but it gives him so many 3rd ball opportunities. And I've seen Dima win many more points off serve than Jun recently. Didn't Dima win a Time magazine award for innovation for his backhand serve? I think his variations are just fine

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
I'm talking purely about his FH serving technique. Watch the second game against Jun Mizutani and the umpire even stopped him to correct his hand not hiding his ball. That shows his lack of skill and experience when it comes to serving from FH compared to Jun Mizutani having much more complex serves.

Watch the entire match and you'll see, Jun Mizutani dealt with Dima's serves most of them by counterlooping them if not on the receive then after the 3rd ball easily. On the other hand Jun Mizutani easily 3rd looped on most of his serves and gained a point.

Last edited:
Reactions: D_Nizzle
This user has no status.
Ok I'll have to look at the game.its got to be said though that dimas fh pendulum is probably his 3rd best serve after his bh serve and that tomahawk-like one he does from the centre, while jun just does fh pen.so maybe not fair to compare both their fh pens. I have to watch that game though
Aaaaand I'm back - I think it was a tactical play that didn't work out. He wanted Jun to slow counterloop those 2bounce serves to the wide fh, so that he could counterloop diagonally with the bh. I notice he didn't try that much beyond the 2nd game.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited: