Butterfly poly ball

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Go with the Nittaku Japan 40+. Or go with a seamless ball. Any of those can be shipper from various international vendors who don't have the stupid restrictions that Btfly has on sale of their products.

Reviews on G40+ are here: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/equipment/balls/11310-g40

Now this particular Butterfly 40+ ball that the poster wanted to know about (and can't get in Mauritius) is not a G40+, and it basically similar to a Double Fish 40+. I personally don't like them.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Go with the Nittaku Japan 40+. Or go with a seamless ball. Any of those can be shipper from various international vendors who don't have the stupid restrictions that Btfly has on sale of their products.

Reviews on G40+ are here: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/equipment/balls/11310-g40

Now this particular Butterfly 40+ ball that the poster wanted to know about (and can't get in Mauritius) is not a G40+, and it basically similar to a Double Fish 40+. I personally don't like them.
I dont like this Butterfly 40+ as well but its being used in every tournament in my country since start of this year. Thats why i wanted to get my hands on these balls

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I see. If you can't get the Butterfly 40+, my recommendation is to train with Double Fish. Will be almost exactly the same I think.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
OK.

If you want to use a ball that is as close to the Butterfly 40+ ball that will be used in your country (but which you can't get) then you should use the Double Fish. It is the closest. Neither one is all that good but you will be at least training with something that will be similar to what you will use. In fact, both are almost certainly made at the same factory. These are currently the best of the Chinese seamed balls, which is not saying much.

Now if you want the best ball, irrespective of the type of ball that you will compete with, most people would say the Nittaku Japan 40+ ball. That would be my strongest suggestion.

If you want a decent ball for a much better price go with a 3-star seamless.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHB
This user has no status.
OK.

If you want to use a ball that is as close to the Butterfly 40+ ball that will be used in your country (but which you can't get) then you should use the Double Fish. It is the closest. Neither one is all that good but you will be at least training with something that will be similar to what you will use. In fact, both are almost certainly made at the same factory. These are currently the best of the Chinese seamed balls, which is not saying much.

Now if you want the best ball, irrespective of the type of ball that you will compete with, most people would say the Nittaku Japan 40+ ball. That would be my strongest suggestion.

If you want a decent ball for a much better price go with a 3-star seamless.
Thank you very much for your input Baal. I will try buying either Double Fish or Nittaku

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
One thing to keep in mind. Nittaku sells a 40+ that is made in China. It is a re-labeled DHS ball and it is terrible! It is called Nittaku SHA.

Make sure the Nittaku 40+ ball you buy is Made in Japan. Those are very different and those are the good ones.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
So i should buy the Nittaku 3 star 40+ premium ball which is made in japan. I will look forward to it bro. Thanks a lot

That's the one. There's a picture of it in Suga D's post on the first page of this thread.

Reactions: Suga D
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I was about to write something like you said. I think that they are too heavy and hard. At the club where I play we use Xu Shao Fa ***

Enviado desde mi XT1058 mediante Tapatalk

1. One thing about balls is that the overall hardness can affect how heavy a ball feels. Either very soft or very hard can feel heavy. (Imagine kicking a partially deflated football, it often feels heavy even thought it is actually a bit lighter). Also of course diameter and smoothness affects the way the ball flies through the air and that can mean it feels heavy because you subconsciously figure out that you have to swing a bit harder.

2. A lot of people feel like Nittaku Japan 40+ is heavy but in fact it is by far the lightest plastic ball (I have weighed several types of plastic balls with a sensitive laboratory balance). In fact, unlike every other plastic ball, when the Nittaku Japan 40+ came out it was almost too light for ITTF 2016 standards (2.65-2.67 g)!!! Now they are right at where they should be, right about 2.70 grams. Remember that nearly all celluloid balls were around 2.65 grams, so that is part of why people say that Nittaku Premium plays most like celluloid, along with the bounce height).

3. The early Chinese seamed balls were all too heavy (2.80-2.85 g) but now they are within allowable standards (around 2.75 grams). The XSF balls are all at that weight too. The Chinese seamed balls (such as Double Fish and Butterfly 40+) have three main problems. They bounce low. They are not always very round. They still have durability problems, although this is improving somewhat.

4. By contrast, some people think that seamless balls like XSF have actually gotten worse. I see more complaints about egg-shaped balls and fracturing. In my view XSF is still durable but when it breaks it fractures catastrophically and shatters into pieces. Some people find it actually bounces too high (but that is far better than bouncing too low). It plays slower for sure. I still prefer them to Chinese seamed balls, but not as much as when they first came out.

5. The new Butterfly G40+ balls is an entirely different experience. Some people love it. I am not a big fan. Damn thing is completely smooth on the external surface and this affects the way it plays in a major way -- fast, no arc, and slides -- and this gets even worse with a little bit of wear. Same price as Nittaku Japan, so why settle? Also, of course, the bizarre sound, although I personally don't care so much about that.

6. DHS, currently makers of the world's worst plastic balls (sold under many trade names including Nittaku SHA), will soon be introducing something called the D40, which will be made of a different and better material, smaller seam (as with the good Nittakus) and better overall play. I will believe ity plays better when I see it. Someone reported that they had managed to obtain some from a DHS distributor and thought the ball still sucked, but who knows whether this is really true? I will buy some as soon as they are sold and report on what I find, and I certainly hope they are better. More good balls is good for the sport.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Quite a few people thank that the older Chinese Butterfly 40+ is a re-labeled Double Fish. It is not the worst of the Chinese seamed balls, which is damning with faint praise. At the end of the day, it is still a seamed Chinese plastic ball. One disclosure, though, is that I haven't tried one that has been made within the last six months, so if they have made some sort of recent improvement I would have missed it.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Finally after all thats been said, i bought the Xushaofa plastic ball..i am quite satisfied with it..nice consistency and good durability

Maybe not the absolute best plastic ball made today (I still think that's the Nittaku Premium 40+), but good value for the money (by plastic ball standards). I can have considerable fun playing with them (XSF). That's all that matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D