Chinese Male Olympics Team 2016

This user has no status.
Hello Table Tennis Community,

I have created this thread to get people's opinions on who they would like to see represent China along side Ma Long.

Personally I would like to see Zhang Jike given the chance to retain his title, it would be great to see him on the Olympic stage once again - hopefully with the same passion he had in 2011-2014.

If he does not get in, I would personally prefer to see Xu Xin instead of FZD as he is more entertaining to watch (imo).

Just to make it clear, this is not a post about who will get in, just who we would like to see.

What are your thoughts?

:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is difficult. I cannot see Zhang Jike going in the singles due to his injuries and he has had a pretty poor year, his motivation is not great. I think it is going to be Xu Xin in the singles with Ma Long, and Zhang Jike in the team. I think Fan Zhendong will be a reserve as he hasn't got the experience yet and could be a little risky for the coaches. .

This user has no status.
This is difficult. I cannot see Zhang Jike going in the singles due to his injuries and he has had a pretty poor year, his motivation is not great. I think it is going to be Xu Xin in the singles with Ma Long, and Zhang Jike in the team. I think Fan Zhendong will be a reserve as he hasn't got the experience yet and could be a little risky for the coaches. .

Good point, however ZJK does have proof that he loves the big stage - Two individual WC titles and an Olympic Gold.

XX is yet to get past the Semi finals in a WC singles.

We will see, they all deserve to play the singles haha :)

Reactions: D_Nizzle
This user has no status.
As in represent you mean in men's singles, right?
I'd like to see Zhang Jike too. Fan Zhendong being so young will get 2/3 more chances for Olympic medals. It's a pity for Xu Xin - but he's a doubles master and will be on the team, so he'll probably get golds anyway. Every Olympic champ deserves a chance to continue his reign. In any other sport he'd get the chance anyway

This user has no status.
I want Ma Long to win so doesn't matter who is the another Chinese singles participants, ZJK had his glory before and even he is still nice to be watched i think he hasn't doing great last years even in big titles, FZD for me is better because he should has his first opportunity even he is still young so he will gain better experience and atmosphere for next Olympics in the future.

About XX, i really don't know what is his goals, winning titles or just having good exhibition games even in big titles? i feel he has the potential to win over other Chinese players even Ma Long but he keeps himself behind them somehow, he is fit but sounds he is good in doubles/team more than singles.

Honestly speaking, i only want to watch Ma Long to win so he will have almost same achievement as JZK or even Waldner as an Olympics winner, ML already got WChmp and WCup so only Olympics, so i put my hope on him for Olympics as i don't think he will be available in next Olympics after 4 years, and even if he will be available in Olympics 2020 he may not be the first player that time or not on top form, so i feel it is the last opportunity/chance for him in this Olympics.

Reactions: Rajah*
says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
I absolutely agree with @yecats encerwal. I hope ZJK would get the spot alongside ML just because he would get a chance to show that he still got it and a get a chance to retain his title. However, ZJK's playing has been quite volatile lately, so that might be the reason to leave him out.

But yeah the competition is so huge in the CNT... I think the battle is right now between Xu Xin and ZJK. XX is definitely an interesting character as well and is entertaining to watch play so he would without doubt be nice to see in the Olympics, too. FZD is great too but I am sure he will get several chances in the future still.

Will be interesting to see who they choose.

This user has no status.
I absolutely agree with @yecats encerwal. I hope ZJK would get the spot alongside ML just because he would get a chance to show that he still got it and a get a chance to retain his title. However, ZJK's playing has been quite volatile lately, so that might be the reason to leave him out.

But yeah the competition is so huge in the CNT... I think the battle is right now between Xu Xin and ZJK. XX is definitely an interesting character as well and is entertaining to watch play so he would without doubt be nice to see in the Olympics, too. FZD is great too but I am sure he will get several chances in the future still.

Will be interesting to see who they choose.

I agree completely with you :)

Do you, or does anyone know when selection is announced?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Lawrence, I'd rather China sent a player who is fully motivated to win. ZJK had won every important tournament in the world, and does not seem to be hungry to win anymore. IMHO, that's the main reason for his crappy results recently, not injuries. Just watch any of his old matches v Wang Hao or Timo Ball - when he was desperate to prove himself to LGL - and you'll see the roaring tibetian mastiff again. Alas, he's gone for good.

XX, FZD, FB or even Hao Shuai - all of them would kill for a spot on the team, and would be fully motivated, and would give fans the best show possible.

This user has no status.
Lawrence, I'd rather China sent a player who is fully motivated to win. ZJK had won every important tournament in the world, and does not seem to be hungry to win anymore. IMHO, that's the main reason for his crappy results recently, not injuries. Just watch any of his old matches v Wang Hao or Timo Ball - when he was desperate to prove himself to LGL - and you'll see the roaring tibetian mastiff again. Alas, he's gone for good.

XX, FZD, FB or even Hao Shuai - all of them would kill for a spot on the team, and would be fully motivated, and would give fans the best show possible.

Hello,

I can see your point, however I believe his lack of "roaring" can probably be put down to a lack of confidence as supposed to a lack of motivation. Since his injuries he has lost a few matches that he shouldn't have, and I believe this has had a significant impact on his confidence.

He has had games where he has been "roaring", which is great to see. I would be happy to see any of the Chinese players in the singles, I just think LG will let ZJK have a shot at that infamous second grand slam.

According to TableTenista, The Chinese media think ZJK is favoured for the singles over XX.

:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
of course ma long is the best player for quite long time in the world. So second seed is less important, but still it does not mean that ML is going to bring the gold home. FZD is still very young and in my opinion for about half year he is not doing good. I do not remember when he last time beat ML since china super league. His game is very predictable and ML has found out the way how to win. The other thing is he still is not very consistent playing non chinese players, he looses many sets and in terms of olympics when pressure comes it might be risky to take FZD. ZJK is unpredictable - you never know how he is going to play, he has already gold. I think XX is the best solution, he is very consistent and the best ratio playing nonchinese players.