The art of stomping

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If stomping by the server is fair game, then me waving my hands (as the receiver) in a distracting manner is fair too. True/false?

Der-echte, what would your ruling be then?

BTW, stomping doesn't phase me. I can tune it out.

With stomping during the serve, the sound happens on your contact. With waiving your hands during the other person's receiving of the ball, that happens when they are going to contact. And just like making sound or vocalizing while the other person is setting up for the ball or in process of hitting it, waiving your hands could be interpreted as an attempt to distract the opponent. I have seen a player who does wave his hands while the other person is hitting. I have also seen the same person stomp while the other person is hitting. And I have seen him get called for it and get points deducted for it.

But I have also seen him get away with it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Not sure if how I said it is clear. But purposely stomping while the other person is going to hit, I believe that IS against the rules. And waiving your hands to try and purposely distract the opponent while he is hitting, I think that would also be against the rules.

It might be a judgement call for the umpire, but I believe you are not allowed to purposely create a distraction while the other person is in the process of playing the ball.

So stomping your foot while you are serving is an entirely different issue than creating a distraction while someone else is about to play the ball.

One time I played a match where this guy kept talking under his breath to purposely distract me while I was serving. He was saying stuff like, "come on, miss," or "no, no, don't do that one." After a few I looked at him and asked if he had a problem. He said he didn't know what I was talking about. I told him he knew exactly what I was talking about and that if he wanted to win by cheating, what was the point of playing a match in the first place. He still denied it. So I just started doing it to him. After he apologized. But that is the kind of thing only a jerk would try to pull. Same thing for stomping feet while the other person is hitting or waiving your hands while the other person is hitting.

It is totally different than stomping while you serve as part of the motion. That being said, I don't stomp when I serve.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Even stomping while hitting the ball is annoying, especially when it is an unnatural stomp. On serves, the rules allow it. After that, it is umpire judgement. There is a guy who I play at tournaments who stomps when hitting the ball and he knows I will call him out on it so to his credit, he did not do it during our last match.

IMO, that Primorac, Ovtcharov and Assar can get away with what they do is annoying. I also hate it when a silent opponent suddenly moans or grunts while hitting the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
hi there, I had the exact same thought as the OP but I've never tried it, actually never had time to practice it. It's so unnatural for me, so it would take a lot of time to practice the stomp before contact. I do think it would mess up the timing of the opponent more or less. It's not against the rules, isn't it? It's a legal (and acceptable) trick IMO.

That said, I played a guy who stomped very hard before almost every shots and it was really annoying. He did that on purpose, it definitely messed up my timing and concentration.

Reactions: D_Nizzle
This user has no status.
Nice to see someone had the same idea iamarru! I think there is something in it, but the legality is vague. On the subject of stomping in play, check out Amelie Solja - she's Petrisa's sister - though she plays for Austria rather than Germany.
She plays with anti-spin and her main shot is a side swipe which goes with a massive stomp. It's even annoying to watch. So the opponent has to deal with anti-spin and continual stomping. It's what nightmares are made of!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited: