My experience with serving like Yoshimura Maharu (Disclaimer: My contact - different)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi everyone, once again with a serving tutorial of me trying to get the thought process behind my version of Yoshimura Maharu serve. It was incredibly hard for me to speak in front of camera with broken English so tolerate my annoying cuts.

First of all this is the first iteration of this video series cos I saw a slow motion footage of YM serving, he usually contacts at the lower edge of the racket both upspin and underspin with an inclined contact. I shot this video before seeing that footage. In my version I was contact usually at the top and middle of the racket. The advantage of contact at lower edge is that during the follow through there is less time to see the contact making it incredibly hard to predict. Almost except for ML, everyone has problem with this serve.

Please share your views and feedback for the serve. Hoping to come with a better version of the serve in the near future.

Disclaimer: It may look similar to my serves of the past, so I am in complete agreement if those underspins look the same.

Thanks as always for watching and sharing your experiences, cheers :)

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Siva : I think this needs some work to make them look similar. As in , in the underspin serve, you have to do the full pull out/up and for the topspin serve , atleast the first bounce has to be at the similar area. Otherwise, people will be easily able to tell which is which ... don't you think so ?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
@Siva : I think this needs some work to make them look similar. As in , in the underspin serve, you have to do the full pull out/up and for the topspin serve , atleast the first bounce has to be at the similar area. Otherwise, people will be easily able to tell which is which ... don't you think so ?

Hi, regarding pulling out, I actually spoke about it in the serve motion part but in the demo I didn't acutally follow the same. Also, the downright flat contact makes it easily identifiable as backspin. I will definitely correct those in the second iteration. Regarding the positioning of the ball, if the serve was executed correctly, it hardly makes the difference because the deception actually is the key to the serve IMO

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
I think Maharu Yoshimura serve is one of the most deceptive seres out there. (Even Xu Xin was struggling with them)
But seems difficult to master.
Zhang Jike's is also deceptive, and might possibly look more smooth, but I think it's harder to catch the spin on Yoshimura's serve.
At least from a camera angle.. Also adding his style of play I think Yoshimura is one of the funnest attacking Shakehanders to watch. Nice video's btw Hamski, would be an interesting channel to watch if I knew more Japanese than I do. xD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think Maharu Yoshimura serve is one of the most deceptive seres out there. (Even Xu Xin was struggling with them)
But seems difficult to master.
Zhang Jike's is also deceptive, and might possibly look more smooth, but I think it's harder to catch the spin on Yoshimura's serve.
At least from a camera angle.. Also adding his style of play I think Yoshimura is one of the funnest attacking Shakehanders to watch. Nice video's btw Hamski, would be an interesting channel to watch if I knew more Japanese than I do. xD

Yoshimura hides the ones that people struggle with with his head.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This looks like a treasure trove of information , if only somebody could put some subtitles !!
nice try.
However YM serve's is a YG server with follow up motion which is known as appu daun saabu aka up down serve.

if you want to know more you can watch these videos (this is my secret video)

Reactions: Siva Schopenhauer
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here was my attempt a while back to copy Yoshimura. What a hypocrite I am.:p

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to imitate or emulate. But it is different saying, "here is me trying to imitate YM's serve" and saying "here is my version of YM's serve". Adding the word trying conveys an inherent understanding that there is a difference between your attempt and the actual thing.

Reactions: ttmonster