Whos your favourite player currently, and a why?

Who Is Your Favourite Player Ever?

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Hmm, currently my favorite is Zhang Jike. Firstly of course because he is very talented. Then I would say he has a beautifully crafted array of shots. He also has a good balance between forehand and backhand which is not very common among chinese players. I hope he can prove himself in a big tournament where it counts the most.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
However, I voted Ma long as he has some beautifully grooved shots among the listed players almost eye candy IMO.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Hi! My favorite table tennis player is ofcourse Jan Ove Waldner! I just love is attitude and his play style. And who can forgett his pokerface? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Kreanga is my favorite player because is is the most entertaining to watch but also because at the peak of his career he always got really far in touraments but rarely won, so every time watching was like "will this be the time Kreanga finally makes it to a big time final???". Sadly the answer was always no and will probably continue to be so since he is well out of his prime now and is much slower. Also entertaining about being a Kreanga fan is certain matchups like Ma Lin, who he has never won against. He has been close a lot of times, and sometimes gets out to a big lead, but never wins.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
My favorite player is Tibor klampar ,i like his stability to returning the ball,so consistenly.
For now i like ma long on his body balance especially when he do counter drive,look perfect.

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
Hmm, currently my favorite is Zhang Jike. Firstly of course because he is very talented. Then I would say he has a beautifully crafted array of shots. He also has a good balance between forehand and backhand which is not very common among chinese players. I hope he can prove himself in a big tournament where it counts the most.

he is one of my favorite players at the moment just because of hes flawless style

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I would definitely say Wang Liqin is my favorite player of all time. He has kept himself in insane shape for more than a decade, that shows an amount of discipline that I really haven't seen in any other player. He has an amazingly powerful forehand, but in addition to that you can just tell from watching him play that his brain is always working, he varies it up and plays very smartly. His serve was never his strength, so he always depended heavily on just playing the rest of the point good. If the point got past the first 3-4 hits, his percentage to win was probably the highest of any player, and the longer the match went on the better he adapted and the better he got.

In my opinion he had the ultimate mix of skill/athletic ability. No one who was taller than him was even close to as fast and quick as him, while no one shorter than him had his long reach. Xu Xin is able to probably match him now, but before that, if you compare him to people like Samsonov, Wang Liqin's speed and reaction rate, makes Samsonov look like he is a 60 year old man.

I also really like Ma Lin because I just love his style. Though he uses the reverse bh now a decent amount, his play style still revolves around the old penhold style, of having an amazing serve, controlling the short game perfectly, and then being the first attack, and ending the point within the first few hits. Its a style we are seeing less and less of, because its so hard to master and requires a lot more footwork and movement than shakehand, but its still so fun to watch, and Ma Lin epitomizes that style.

As for the new generation, its hard not to say Ma Long, because he is just relentless, overpowering, and has very few if any real weaknesses, though I do have to say that he is pushing the speed of his game to a level that is so fast, that a good blocker might be able to have an advantage against him. He is able to attack and loop everything so quickly, but its creating so much speed that its not giving him a great chance to recover if the ball comes back. His game against that Chan player, that Chinese player who plays for the Japanese team was a good example, though I do realize that Ma Long was recovering from an injury that game.
Xu Xin is pretty fun to watch, he has a lot of potential, his forehand is amazing, and gets some insane angles both because he uses penhold, and because he has the height.
While I don't like Zhang Jike's attitude, his play style is pretty amazing, his loops from both back hand and forehand have like the perfect arc to them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I've got three votes, and they're all not on the list. Zhang Jike for the newest generation, and Chen Qi and Chuang Chih-Yuan for the past generation.

Chen Qi's got a nice looking backhand and a killer forehand, while Chuang always produces top quality rallies to watch in his matches. Zhang is just interesting to watch these days, and he's got an interesting backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
my favorites...
Boll great player, nice attitude and is married to a Filipina
Waldner the best
Kreanga for fierceness
Schlager a great player and a true sport
Koji Matsushita for great moves and fun!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
My favorite player is wang liqin. The combination of his powerful forehand, consistent backhand and good sportmanship makes him a winner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Of the list of players of the poll, I have three players that I really enjoy watching: Jan-Ove Waldner, Ma Lin, and Ma Long.

Waldner used to be one of my favorites, simply because he beat people with more than just strength or speed. He messed with his opponents' minds, outwitting them on the court, and intimidating them off the court (Waldner is a very confident player -- not exactly arrogant nor intimidating, but confident. ) To me, Waldner is perhaps the greatest of all time. But as of now, he is not my favorite player, simply because the times have changed and up and coming new talent is wiping out the old crowd.

Ma Lin has also been one of my favorites -- his style of play, his tactics, and demeanor. Like Waldner, Ma Lin is a tactician and very confident, sometimes to the point of being obnoxious and arrogant. I love his creativity in shots, his improvisation of footwork techniques, everything! It's a shame he still hasn't won a WTTC, and probably will never.

Ma Long - wow! What can I say? He's a beast, and still so young. Out of the new generation of talented players, Ma Long is my favorite. He has all the shots and skills -- his power and spin are good, his consistency in counter-looping rallies is amazing, but his speed is phenomenal! He's such a talented player, and with a few more years of international experience, his mental game will be strong as well. I can't wait to see him take all the titles in the near future (but he still has some obstacles to overcome such as his Chinese teammates like Zhang Jike and Xu Xin).

I voted for Ma Lin, simply because he is still my favorite player. He hasn't totally lost his position on the international stage just yet. He can still beat the younger crowd with experience and tactics, and can pull off upsets easily. Waldner is a timeless player, but he won't stand a chance with someone like Ma Long today. Ma Long is skillful, but he's not quite there yet. A few more years, and he'll be the best (I mean WTTC, World Cup, Olympic Champion, not just ITTF #1 ranking).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
my favourite player is zhang jike
i love his style and he plays such different than the other chinese
he has a fantastic backhand and passiv play ;)