Zhang Jike or Xu Xin will Play Singles - Rio Olympics 2016!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is how I see it FZD is awesome against anyone who is not ML or ZJK. XX is awesome against anyone who is not ML, FZD or ZJK. ML is almost invincible. The only person who has the remotest chance of beating ML in a major tournament at this point is ZJK. In fact ML's only World Tour loss this year is to ZJK in the Kuwait Open (correct me if I am wrong on this).

ZJK is one strange and crazy dude. There are tournaments he shows up where you can tell, he is playing someone he is better than and he looks like he is ready to go to sleep; like he's not even playing half.

He has had some totally weird losses like Stefan Fegerl. Ovtcharov he has lost to before. But it is still, hard to tell if he really has showed up to play.

So, if he is healthy, competition ready, in training and shows up inspired, he has the best chance of making the finals an EPIC SHOWDOWN. From a television ratings and public interest standpoint that is also the case. For people around the world that would be the money matchup.

However, I think FZD has done the work day in day out to have the WR#2 spot. He shows up and plays his hardest all the time. He might get squished like a bug when he plays ML but, truthfully, I think he has earned that #2 singles spot. I also think XX has earned the #3 spot. Those guys give it their all in every tournament. They don't show up and play matches like they are bored and would rather go to sleep.

So, I would like to see the order this way:

1) ML
2) FZD
3) XX (team but not singles)
4) ZJK (p) (the injury alternate)

But I won't be surprised at any order.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Completely agree Carl , but my gut feel is they are going to go ZJK . I am sure they have studied the injured player replacement rule very carefully. They will probably do a fitness test for him before that date and then if required name a replacement . Again this is pure guesswork. So even if somebody disagrees I am not going to argue :)

Here is how I see it FZD is awesome against anyone who is not ML or ZJK. XX is awesome against anyone who is not ML, FZD or ZJK. ML is almost invincible. The only person who has the remotest chance of beating ML in a major tournament at this point is ZJK. In fact ML's only World Tour loss this year is to ZJK in the Kuwait Open (correct me if I am wrong on this).

ZJK is one strange and crazy dude. There are tournaments he shows up where you can tell, he is playing someone he is better than and he looks like he is ready to go to sleep; like he's not even playing half.

He has had some totally weird losses like Stefan Fegerl. Ovtcharov he has lost to before. But it is still, hard to tell if he really has showed up to play.

So, if he is healthy, competition ready, in training and shows up inspired, he has the best chance of making the finals an EPIC SHOWDOWN. From a television ratings and public interest standpoint that is also the case. For people around the world that would be the money matchup.

However, I think FZD has done the work day in day out to have the WR#2 spot. He shows up and plays his hardest all the time. He might get squished like a bug when he plays ML but, truthfully, I think he has earned that #2 singles spot. I also think XX has earned the #3 spot. Those guys give it their all in every tournament. They don't show up and play matches like they are bored and would rather go to sleep.

So, I would like to see the order this way:

1) ML
2) FZD
3) XX (team but not singles)
4) ZJK (p) (the injury alternate)

But I won't be surprised at any order.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I agree with Carl as well but not that Fan Zhendong got squished like a bug from Ma Long.

Yeah, there are times when FZD plays really well against ML. But it seems, in the bigger comps, FZD does not seem to apply too much resistance vs ML.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I thought about this as well. ZJK makes sense for all of the reasons that you have listed but Lui Guoliang's ultimate aim is to secure Gold and Silver for China.

ZJK has the best chance of beating Ma Long, there is no doubt about that. I actually see him as a slight favourite against ML when he's top fit.

However, if Lui Guoliang wanted to secure the silver medal for China, he should have gone for Fan Zhendong or Xu Xin. Because their strengths are so similar, Ovtcharov has a good chance against ZJK. Samsonov is always a tough player for ZJK as you can see in the Olympics in 2012 where he actually led 3:2 against Samsonov. I think Samsonov has been pacing himself a little bit. If he gives it his all for the Olympics without thinking of other tournaments and plays all-out, he will be very difficult to deal with for ZJK. Mizutani has been playing very well lately and a fit Timo Boll always pushes ZJK to his limits (remember the team match in 2012 where Boll won against ZJK). I can imagine ZJK losing to all of these players.

It's not going to be a smooth ride for ZJK to the finals but if he gets there, it will be an epic showdown.

He is seriously one crazy dude though. I remember the match against Samsonov in the German Open when Samsonov had Match Point against him. His coach was sweating buckets but ZJK looked like he couldn't care less.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Is this confirmed now? Or just your speculation?

Please say it is confirmed ;)
This whole thread is speculation. I read (can't find back the quote) that the Korea Open (and possibly one other tournament) will matter on wether it's XX or ZJ that will play the singles.
Also, XX lost to CCY because of shoulder injuries and LG has a knowledged that won't influence the possibility of XX playing in singles.
So no, far from confirmed.

Sent fra min SM-G901F via Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
This whole thread is speculation. I read (can't find back the quote) that the Korea Open (and possibly one other tournament) will matter on wether it's XX or ZJ that will play the singles.
Also, XX lost to CCY because of shoulder injuries and LG has a knowledged that won't influence the possibility of XX playing in singles.
So no, far from confirmed.

Sent fra min SM-G901F via Tapatalk

Here it is: http://tabletennista.com/2016/5/japan-korea-open-crucial-for-chinese-players-video/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
https://m.facebook.com/ITTFWorld/ph...29499414:69:0:1464764399:-7676256634441312025

13265872_1380301951999804_3059647274543950926_n.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
fb47c7ede307a2d4f7c02e9f9b76e66bbfe957b2b95accf1cd60efc86d7feb15.jpg
Completely agree Carl , but my gut feel is they are going to go ZJK . I am sure they have studied the injured player replacement rule very carefully. They will probably do a fitness test for him before that date and then if required name a replacement . Again this is pure guesswork. So even if somebody disagrees I am not going to argue :)