Can an App improve your Table Tennis? Interview with Brett Clarke from ttEDGE

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
It would be interesting to know whether there is any correlation between ability to do well on the App and ability to play TT. Do pro level players out score amateurs, is there a regression line correlation between playing level and App scores. I guess this needs to be based on first time/first day use because I guess even a non player with no TT ability is going to master this game after rather less than 10000 hours of use.

Improvement suggestions:
Some hints and tips on what to look for. I find it very difficult to see what pre strike 'tells' I am supposed to be looking for on say the forehand topspin. It all looks the same upto almost the point of impact. Getting it right after impact seems pointless because that is just ball watching not reading the player. Come to think about it, how about an option to remove the ball altogether ?

Great idea by the way.

I really like your remove the ball thing. It might be an option at some stage soon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Android update available now. IOS will hopefully be there tomorrow. The new update includes my backhand serve (free for everyone) and some UI improvements. I'll make a video demonstrating the new functions soon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Update available for Android users. IOS will hopefully be a day or two. I'll make a video tomorrow.

- Added a 3rd pendulum serve
- Added a 3rd multiball forehand topspin
- Added a 2nd multiball backhand topspin
- Improved the UI

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
It would be interesting to know whether there is any correlation between ability to do well on the App and ability to play TT. Do pro level players out score amateurs, is there a regression line correlation between playing level and App scores.

It would indeed be good to see some research evidence that this app works--works in the sense that time devoted to the app will lead to improvement in actual table tennis performance. I am NOT talking about the usual commercial 'research' here, where companies employ some marketing firm to 'manufacture' evidence that their product works by designing some sort of study that provides the 'required' results. Rather, I am talking about valid research studies, worthy of publication in academic journals: publishable research. Brett talks about 'neuroscientists' working on his projects--which should give him access to people who understand research, and who know how to design and conduct research according to rigorous academic standards

Such research would clearly help the table tennis community, but more than that, firm evidence that use of this app can lead to improvement in real-world table tennis performance would be a significant contribution to both the motor-learning and the neuroscience literature.

Go for it Brett! Do the research, and make a serious contribution to the motor-learning field. We would all benefit from that.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It would indeed be good to see some research evidence that this app works--works in the sense that time devoted to the app will lead to improvement in actual table tennis performance. I am NOT talking about the usual commercial 'research' here, where companies employ some marketing firm to 'manufacture' evidence that their product works by designing some sort of study that provides the 'required' results. Rather, I am talking about valid research studies, worthy of publication in academic journals: publishable research. Brett talks about 'neuroscientists' working on his projects--which should give him access to people who understand research, and who know how to design and conduct research according to rigorous academic standards

Such research would clearly help the table tennis community, but more than that, firm evidence that use of this app can lead to improvement in real-world table tennis performance would be a significant contribution to both the motor-learning and the neuroscience literature.

Go for it Brett! Do the research, and make a serious contribution to the motor-learning field. We would all benefit from that.

It isn't research but I know for sure it helped me.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
It isn't research but I know for sure it helped me.

No, but thoughtful comments based on personal experience can still be valuable. Perhaps you would be kind enough to give us more details of your experience? How did you use it, and what makes you sure that it helped your game? Do you have any advice about how users can get the best from it?

Kind regards,
Gary

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Part of what you would do in the app and in the videos of people serving that Brett had on his site was watch the server and the bounce of the ball and at first you would recognize when the serve was top, backspin or no spin. There were cues you would start to see to help you see which serve was which. As you got that better you started seeing it faster. The recognition speed increased.

I noticed that as I practiced with the app, I started recognizing serves in match play faster as well. With the app you would find tells in each of the serves that let you know which serve was coming sooner. I also started seeing those tells in players I was facing faster as I practiced seeing them in the app and in the videos on TTEdge. Each person has slightly different tells for serves. But you start to notice them more if you practice trying to see them.

As that happened, my receive of serve improved a decent amount.

The app did not replace facing real humans. But it gave me the tools to see some things a little faster and to practice trying to see them even while not in the stress of a match.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
But as was said, the app is no longer available. I had it on my phone. And I just tried to open it and I get a notice that it is no longer available.

BTW: my sister also used it and I noticed a marked improvement in her receive of serve after she started using it. I remember before that trying to show her how to read my serves so she could return them more and not get fooled as often. But that did not help so much. When she started using the app, she started seeing my topspin serves better. And not getting fooled as often.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Part of what you would do in the app and in the videos of people serving that Brett had on his site was watch the server and the bounce of the ball and at first you would recognize when the serve was top, backspin or no spin. There were cues you would start to see to help you see which serve was which. As you got that better you started seeing it faster. The recognition speed increased.

I noticed that as I practiced with the app, I started recognizing serves in match play faster as well. With the app you would find tells in each of the serves that let you know which serve was coming sooner. I also started seeing those tells in players I was facing faster as I practiced seeing them in the app and in the videos on TTEdge. Each person has slightly different tells for serves. But you start to notice them more if you practice trying to see them.

As that happened, my receive of serve improved a decent amount.

The app did not replace facing real humans. But it gave me the tools to see some things a little faster and to practice trying to see them even while not in the stress of a match.

Thank you. This is useful information, and much appreciated. I'll give it another go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I checked and the app is working fine for me. I have not used it for a while but on the serve module I was picking the spin type much better than when trained with it a year ago.

says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
I checked with Brett (one of the owners), and he confirmed it was removed from the App store. He said the App Store give you a neverending job to fix something that they've decided they no longer like.. and if you don't fix it, they remove the App from the store. Brett is extremely annoyed by it! They're working on getting it back in, but the App Stores hold all the cards...they demand that you fix things...and then they're happy for a while, and then they find something else they don't like again. Sounds very frustrating!!!

Reactions: lVegita and Wister