Can an App improve your Table Tennis? Interview with Brett Clarke from ttEDGE

says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
For those of you that may not have seen it, the ttEDGE App is very impressive, and well worth checking out! I'm convinced it's actually helping my game, which is pretty imazing for an App. The ttEDGE crew keep adding impressive new modules as well.
I've been so impressed with the App, that I asked Brett Clarke, one of the main members of ttEDGE, for an interview, which you can find below. Hope you enjoy it. :D

http://tabletennis-reviews.com/app-to-improve-your-table-tennis-ttedge

Jan 2013
It's a free download, and comes with some free modules (making it already worthwhile), but to get the full version with many additional modules (and future ones) you need to pay. I'd recommend you check it out for yourself... see if it's worthwhile for you.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The free part of the app is pretty good in itself. Even with just the free part, it helps your reading things faster. But the full version is kind of worth it, particularly with the extra serve variations.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The free part of the app is pretty good in itself. Even with just the free part, it helps your reading things faster. But the full version is kind of worth it, particularly with the extra serve variations.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Kind of worth it is an understatement. How much would you pay a coach at Brett's level to practice against his serves?

You may not have kept up with the updates. The app is massively good now and Brett says it is nothing close to complete.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Kind of worth it is an understatement. How much would you pay a coach at Brett's level to practice against his serves?

You may not have kept up with the updates. The app is massively good now and Brett says it is nothing close to complete.

I was on it yesterday. But today was too busy to see the latest update that was loaded this morning. But, yeah, kind of worth it is an understatement. But stating it as it is, is probably not going to be received as well by those people tight on cash who don't want to spend the extra $8.00 for the full thing.

Trying the free version may be enough of a start. I know, after using it for a while, I wanted the full version rather than just the free part. But....well, I think you get what I'm sayin'!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I was on it yesterday. But today was too busy to see the latest update that was loaded this morning. But, yeah, kind of worth it is an understatement. But stating it as it is, is probably not going to be received as well by those people tight on cash who don't want to spend the extra $8.00 for the full thing.

Trying the free version may be enough of a start. I know, after using it for a while, I wanted the full version rather than just the free part. But....well, I think you get what I'm sayin'!
I completely disagree - again, many of these people are spending $100s on lessons. But I guess when the app costs $60-$100, it will still be a steal.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Its all good NL. We agree that the app is worth it. When people try it they will want the full thing. It is worth it. Brett is smart to have both the free version and the full version. We could both say that people are fools not to get it and that, it could really save a person a lot of money in the long run and help a person improve. There are some people who will get it. And others who will be leery because it sounds like a biased opinion or salesmanship, even if it is not.

So we have different ways of communicating. But we both think the small amount you spend on the full version is worth it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
NextLevel convinced me to get this app a few months back. I rarely use it, simply because I never remember to use it when I'm just sitting around. But whenever I actually do remember the app and use it a bit I start to wonder to myself, "why the hell am I not using this app more". It's truly a wonderful app that seems to get updated pretty frequently and honestly helps you out in table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
NextLevel convinced me to get this app a few months back. I rarely use it, simply because I never remember to use it when I'm just sitting around. But whenever I actually do remember the app and use it a bit I start to wonder to myself, "why the hell am I not using this app more". It's truly a wonderful app that seems to get updated pretty frequently and honestly helps you out in table tennis.

Perhaps we should build an alarm into the app that reminds you to use it more frequently?

We are currently working on William Henzell's backspin and no spin module. William generates a surprising amount of backspin on his serves and he has a reasonably good no spin too. It will be available on the weekend

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Perhaps we should build an alarm into the app that reminds you to use it more frequently?

We are currently working on William Henzell's backspin and no spin module. William generates a surprising amount of backspin on his serves and he has a reasonably good no spin too. It will be available on the weekend

Does Playstore automatically alert us when you send an update?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
It would be interesting to know whether there is any correlation between ability to do well on the App and ability to play TT. Do pro level players out score amateurs, is there a regression line correlation between playing level and App scores. I guess this needs to be based on first time/first day use because I guess even a non player with no TT ability is going to master this game after rather less than 10000 hours of use.

Improvement suggestions:
Some hints and tips on what to look for. I find it very difficult to see what pre strike 'tells' I am supposed to be looking for on say the forehand topspin. It all looks the same upto almost the point of impact. Getting it right after impact seems pointless because that is just ball watching not reading the player. Come to think about it, how about an option to remove the ball altogether ?

Great idea by the way.