"Euro" vs "Chinese" Play Style

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
That is absolutely true. And with the amount of training I laid out, at 51, it is more likely that I would get injured before I got to 2200 anyway. But what I was saying was, with less than that amount of training, I don't think there is any way I would get to 2200 within a 6 month period which was what my friend's goal was.

And my friend who thinks he can get there without training, even if it is training in a different way than what he thinks of as training, he isn't going to get to 2200 without training either.

If I'm honest, seeing that I am not able to play 1/3 as much as I used to, and it is likely that in 6 months to a year I will not be able to play even that much, that I will never break 2000 even. I am okay with that. I don't train or play to get higher level. I do like working on technique but that is also why my technique is better than my game play, and lots of guys whose technique isn't as good are still better than me. And I would be fooling myself if I thought I was higher level than I am.

It's not just training.
I know 50 year old guys who have been training for decades yet they are always in the same level.
I also know 15 year old kids who in 3 years of total play beat the 50 year old and never lose again to him.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It's not just training.
I know 50 year old guys who have been training for decades yet they are always in the same level.
I also know 15 year old kids who in 3 years of total play beat the 50 year old and never lose again to him.
So it's like there's a level waiting for everybody out there.
If you get involved in the sport, well you get to that level.
But that seems to be already decided even before you step in the club for the first time.

This might be true. But most people don't come close to maximizing their potential.

And I know this older guy who is about 61. About 8 months ago, maybe he was 800, maybe less. He looks to have absolutely zero talent. Clumsy. He moves awkwardly. Not an athlete at all. He has been taking 4 hour lessons several days a week. The coach is good. He has gone way past what his potential looks to be.

But without the training he would still be 800.

There is no telling if I have maxed out my potential. But I am pretty sure there is plenty of room for improvement. That being said, I don't really care if I get better or not. But if money wasn't an object and I did not have to take care of two other people, and I could train 5-6 hours a day 6 days a week, with intelligent training--not waste of time training, and there is a lot of that--with intelligent training, I could get a decent amount better. I actually have a feeling 2200 is a reasonable number. But again, I don't care if I do get better. And that is actually also a limiting factor.

But most people my age, or his age, can't actually do what this guy with 4 hour lessons several days a week is doing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
This might be true. But most people don't come close to maximizing their potential.

And I know this older guy who is about 61. About 8 months ago, maybe he was 800, maybe less. He looks to have absolutely zero talent. Clumsy. He moves awkwardly. Not an athlete at all. He has been taking 4 hour lessons several days a week. The coach is good. He has gone way past what his potential looks to be.

But without the training he would still be 800.

There is no telling if I have maxed out my potential. But I am pretty sure there is plenty of room for improvement. That being said, I don't really care if I get better or not. But if money wasn't an object and I did not have to take care of two other people, and I could train 5-6 hours a day 6 days a week, with intelligent training--not waste of time training, and there is a lot of that--with intelligent training, I could get a decent amount better. I actually have a feeling 2200 is a reasonable number. But again, I don't care if I do get better. And that is actually also a limiting factor.

But most people my age, or his age, can't actually do what this guy with 4 hour lessons several days a week is doing.

I think once you get to play in a club with all levels of players, some of them high level, you pretty much understand what is your real potential.
of course if you have access to limited amount of players and levels you never know.

also the truth is the higher the level the more the player trains.
so if you see a 2500 player who beats you easily it's not that you training 10 hours a day will be enough to beat him, because he also trains a lot.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Did you mean $400.00 (USD) or £400 (BP)?

I got mine for £400. I can tell by the price that mine are the real thing.

I got mine from a friend whose sister was sleeping with the manager of Xu Xin, so I know mine are real.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
to expand a bit more, the chinese style is simply an answer to the question: how do you coach someone when you have 2 training sessions a day every day from a very young age with them, you know they won't quit (they might but there are a lot more just like them) and their parents won't complain if you are being too hard on them?

in europe coaches are hard pressed to teach kids advanced techniques before the fundamentals are solid enough in order to acquire results early on and keep both the kids and the parents interested.

imho, izra has the absolute answer here. the work "ethic" in china makes all the difference. youtube "chinese gymnastics school", and what i'll post will make much more sense

i trained in chinese martial arts for a long time, and my si-fu always told me about the big difference in chinese training vs western training. training with the best in china is considered a privilege, not a right, and students are willing to go to great lengths to make it. westerners regard the teachers as any other service providers, with the "i'll take my business somewhere else" attitude. it's not uncommon to see parents shouting at their children during training, sometimes arguing with the coaches on their decisions.

also, westerners have a much better plan B if professional sports fail for one reason or another. work for a cozy multinational, push some papers, life is great. in china, the most hardworking kids will go back to farming if they fail, and they know it.

hard work from early age makes the world of difference we see today in tt

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This is not just in China, the master - disciple relationship is pretty much the same everywhere. In some more evolved forms , both need to deserve each other ... anyways.... you are absolutely right about everything you said here ... plus China has the resources to give them the best possible facilities once they fight their way out of the regionals !!

imho, izra has the absolute answer here. the work "ethic" in china makes all the difference. youtube "chinese gymnastics school", and what i'll post will make much more sense

i trained in chinese martial arts for a long time, and my si-fu always told me about the big difference in chinese training vs western training. training with the best in china is considered a privilege, not a right, and students are willing to go to great lengths to make it. westerners regard the teachers as any other service providers, with the "i'll take my business somewhere else" attitude. it's not uncommon to see parents shouting at their children during training, sometimes arguing with the coaches on their decisions.

also, westerners have a much better plan B if professional sports fail for one reason or another. work for a cozy multinational, push some papers, life is great. in china, the most hardworking kids will go back to farming if they fail, and they know it.

hard work from early age makes the world of difference we see today in tt

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl