All my skill, GONE!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
So, I haven't played AT ALL for 4 months, so I would obviously have lost a lot of form. But I played a small amount today, and was in shock of my ability to do almost nothing! Reading spin - out of the question. Cannot read Trajectory. Served into the net as many times as I served okay.
My loop motion seems to be too vertical, because everything that's not backspin is flying straight up. That might also be because of my lack of ability to read or counter spins.

I guess a lack of form was to be expected, but the degree of it shocked and humiliated me. I lost to a guy I used to beat on 1 or 2, on 4!
Anyway, there is nothing good about the way I'm playing.

But what I want to know is how long It will take to get it back?

I'll post a video soon.
Thanks
PS:
I should still be able to beat Arch fairly easily.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
mC7cTyN3.jpeg

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Couple of weeks it will start to come back. I had an autoimmune relapse after World Champs and my form absolutely plummeted in about 6 weeks during my recovery. It's been 2 months since I got sick and I've started training again and i'm keeping a daily video diary which I started 4 days ago.

Just persevere! :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sooner than you think.

This is what I would actually do: see if you can do a few training sessions. 1-2 hour sessions are fine. I like 3-5 hour training sessions. But I may be weird. But the training sessions can be as long as you like.

Do basic strokes. Counter hitting. Looping while your training partner blocks. Then blocking while your training partner loops. And at some point do serve and receive drills. It is hard to get comfortable when you are feeling that you are losing and you feel you shouldn't be. That puts more pressure on you and then you mess up more. Doing the training drills now will make it so, after that, you will be getting a little bit of your feeling and timing back. And you will get back in form a little faster.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I would say a few weeks around 4 training sessions like Matt has said in the previous post. The interesting thing here is the more practice you do the greater your Neuroplasticity increases. When I was around 14 years old I had two weeks off, which is a lot less time off than 4 months. I remember how the first few sessions it look me ages to find any form. Like you have said here @Rayeez you feel like all your skills have gone. I know this feeling completely! However it will come back, it does not take long, as long as you do lots of basic exercises and keep it simple.

Overtime,the more practice you accumulate the quicker your form comes back after you have a break. If Ma Long took a month off, he would come back with 95% of his skill set if not more.

Cool article :) http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/this-n...cial&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1462727403

Good luck!

This user has no status.
you need to get back the feeling for the ball and the sensitivity to your hand. there is one really good exercise for that. backhand and for forhand. you do topspin your partner blocks you do defense chop stroke, your partner chops you do topspin and so on.. this is extremely good because you have too keep the rotating direction of the ball what will provide you a good touch

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
you need to get back the feeling for the ball and the sensitivity to your hand. there is one really good exercise for that. backhand and for forhand. you do topspin your partner blocks you do defense chop stroke, your partner chops you do topspin and so on.. this is extremely good because you have too keep the rotating direction of the ball what will provide you a good touch

I have seen a lot of pro's do this exercise. It's quite common to do this in Germany?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
You should do ball-feeling exercises at home. This always helps me get a feel for the ball. I did this once after a 3 week holiday and i was easier to find my groove.

<cite class="_Rm" style="color: rgb(0, 102, 33); font-style: normal; font-size: 14px;">

It is also a great idea to do some shadow training. This way, you can work on your form without the ball. </cite>

Reactions: darnner123
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Check out the TT Edge app. Will get your eyes used to tracking and you do it in bed or on your couch.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Most important think is don't get frustrated. Just be systematic. KNOW that it will come back. Because it will.

This user has no status.
Huh. I always feel refreshed and find myself playing better after taking a hiatus of a couple weeks/months.
It'd be so obvious, I can tell from the difference of the feel of the ball when it hits my bat. It'd be so much clearer than it was before the rest.
Anyone else with me?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
In my experience whenever i see players in pain of some sort, you can tell that they are havin a hard time coordinating movment and power in brushing the ball decreases, usually we hook them on physiotheraphy sessions and allow them a week of rest. And yes they play better they feel the ball better and the good thing about it is that they dont complain. Never get frustrated if you cant correct what is wrong. Always seek help from a better trainer who understands the way you move and the way you hit the ball. Some times it only requires a minor twitch in foot positioning and timing ahead of the ball. (Anticipation)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk