Why isn't player ranked?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
I just found this video of Marcos Freitas vs Xu Hui (Champions League 2016) where Xu Hui (unknown to me) actually won!

However, I couldn't find him ranking on the ITTF site.

Any idea why isn't this player ranked? I'd like to know more about him: age, nationality, tournaments won, etc.

This user has no status.
Thanks. Any reason why a player would do this?
One can only speculate but the talent pool is so deep in China that unless you make rapid improvements you get less and less support by the coaches. To put things into perspective, Ma Long was ranked 300 in Oct 2003 and broke into the top 10 in Mar 2007. Zhang Jike was ranked 137 in Sep 2002 and ranked 51 in Dec 2008. Xu Hui was ranked 95 in Jan 2001 and ranked 90 in Dec 2008.

Not sure what the ITTF rules are for players moving to and playing for that country but I'm sure that's a factor as well as being able to acquire sponsors to help pay expenses. Unless you get sponsors, it's hard to be a pro table tennis player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Xu Hui is a great and very entaertaining player to watch. He has played in the Swedish League for the last 5 seasons. He's the Table 1 player for Eslöv, the team currently looking good to win the Champions League after defeating Pontiose 3-1 at home last Saturday. (Return leg will be played May 29)

Xu Hui was part of the CNT1 training group for many years. Why he was dropped is anybody's guess, but most likely because the coaches saw less ultimate potential in him than in other players like Ma Long, Xu Xin, Zhang Jike, Zhou Yu and Yan An.

The reason he hasn't got as ranking anymore is that China up until now hasn't sanctioned his joining the ITTF circuit. However, for this tour season he has been released and may play the ITTF tour provided he enters the tournaments privately. To me, that would be an exciting prospect as he could go pretty far. If he does join the tour, he will still be representing China. He has no plans to apply for Swedish citizenship.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
It's simple. He cannot represent China any more and having forseen this likelyhood, as many Chinese players do, he would have left overseas to take up a league contract.

ITTF rules state that the stand down periods for representing a country in major ittf events are as follows:
Under 15 player: 3 years
Under 18 Player: 5 years
Under 21 Player: 7 years
Over 21 Player: Cannot Represent a New Association.

This is from the date of national registration transfer (to new country) and provided they are also a citizen of the new country.

I don't know how old Xu Hui is but I imagine he's quite content playing the league and making money from his profession.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
It's simple. He cannot represent China any more and having forseen this likelyhood, as many Chinese players do, he would have left overseas to take up a league contract.

ITTF rules state that the stand down periods for representing a country in major ittf events are as follows:
Under 15 player: 3 years
Under 18 Player: 5 years
Under 21 Player: 7 years
Over 21 Player: Cannot Represent a New Association.
It's not that simple. :)

Those rules apply only if you wish to represent a new nation in ITTF title events (such as a championship or cup), but not on the tour.

Xu Hui is still allowed to represent China on the tour providing the Chinese association allows it (which he is as of this season). However, his entry cannot be prioritised over the regular CNT's allocation of spots on a given tour event. He can only participate in tour events where he does not impede the official Chinese representation.

Xu Hiu is 33 now. He's a former Chinese team champion and Superleague champion for Zhejiang. And yes, he's cashing in now, like any half-decent player would :)

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
It's not that simple. :)

Those rules apply only if you wish to represent a new nation in ITTF title events (such as a championship or cup), but not on the tour.

Xu Hui is still allowed to represent China on the tour providing the Chinese association allows it (which he is as of this season). However, his entry cannot be prioritised over the regular CNT's allocation of spots on a given tour event. He can only participate in tour events where he does not impede the official Chinese representation.

Xu Hiu is 33 now. He's a former Chinese team champion and Superleague champion for Zhejiang. And yes, he's cashing in now, like any half-decent player would :)

I'm aware of that, that's why I wrote 'major' events. I didn't know Chinese association would still allow him to play. Usually when you go to play in a foreign country you have to apply to the national team to be 'released', I assumed that's what he would have done.