Proposed Increase in Net Height!

Should the height of the net be increased?

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 92.5%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I think they should raise the height of the table , this will be really helpful in bringing more spectators :

1. Tall guys won't need to bend down , saving a lot of back injury
2. We stop getting beaten by the 10-2 year old Lilliputians who are fast-tracking their way to 2400 :p

Generally peoples are much taller in nowadays than even 50 years ago, so why
not to increase table blade high ? Me ( 183 cm ) and my brother ( 187 cm ) once increased table high from 78 to 83 and we notice that game was much comfortable for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
I think what's happening in the ITTF right now is that they tried to hit the nail on the head with the Poly Balls, but they ended up hitting it sideways and it's even harder to fix now than before they tried to fix it.

What they should've fixed was the presentation and image of the sport. I just watched the Waldner v Persson finale and it was PACKED!! I think the crowd count was at about 13,000 spectators, AND THIS WAS DURING THE SPEED GLUE AND 38mm ERA.

Better presentation and representation of the sport goes a looong way- just look at Poker, Snooker, or Darts!

PS. I really liked the Japanese stream on ITTF for the WTTTC with all the stats and info - that's how it should be done!

Sent from my MyPhoneMY27 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Net height increase doesn't bother me. The change in ball size made service return easier, extending rallies for me. I think control players will thrive from the change, slow loopers will be happy. Players that prefer the flat hitting kill shots, and players who depend heavily on service to get points are losing the most from this. Evolution in sports is supposed to happen, why don't I ever hear people complaining this much when rule changes happen in other sports?

Players will adapt to a higher net as they've adapted to every change so far. If the game was never meant to be changed we'd still be playing with 38mm balls and no sponge. Marty Reisman would have won his world title and we would have never heard of the greats that we now idolize and look back to in admiration. (Waldner)

People never want change, but if you just suck it up and deal with it, you'll notice the game isn't going to be watched less because of the change and the only thing you'll lose is those players who decide "change sucks I'm quitting this game, I can't adapt so it's unfair"

really? suck it up? way to go :eek:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
How will a higher net reduce spin? you need more spin to get it over now if you want decent pace. And serving long would happen less with a higher net since you can't serve long and fast with it higher. Serving long would become suicide. This hurts flat hitting players more than spinny players.
Edit: I still want to hear someone give an answer to the ITTF's flub of a mistake they made changing to the polyball. we all agree that this was a mistake but nobody's giving any answer on how to fix it. Simply changing back to the old ball isn't an option for them so changing the net height seems to be the best answer.

If old ball isn't an option let's change to 38mm poly ball!

Not just serving back will be suicide but pushing long also. Because of that the game will become something like that: short serve-short push-short push-...-a little bit high push-KILL the ball! (which will be more risky due the higher net). And the rallies won't be much longer, just a little bit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
excuse me if I haven't read all the comments, but ITTF got to communicate more with players and coaches

many pros and legends have spoken about the lack of communication between ITTF and them.

Does ITTF know the best?

Can they guarantee they have the brightest minds behind the sports? If not, then please carry out true discussion with players and coaches, people who truly love the game, before any rash decision is made ..... ( try not to think about the ball material development, I bet you can't)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Generally peoples are much taller in nowadays than even 50 years ago, so why
not to increase table blade high ? Me ( 183 cm ) and my brother ( 187 cm ) once increased table high from 78 to 83 and we notice that game was much comfortable for us.
Yes, europeans tends to be higher, but japanese and some of the chinese (and asian nations who tends to be shorter)? They are also growing during the decades?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
if they wanna bring more spectators to the sport, why dont they start by actually using full HD streams of the main events for EVERYONE to watch, from 4 diferent angles?, instead of having a SUPER POOR quality stream in the main youtube channel of the ITTF that is so poorly designed and recorded that you can barely watch the ball, and even the recreational table tennis youtubers have better quality video material than them.

Dont make the game slower, SHOW it in a better way in better angles like those chinese trial matches that someone recorded in the trainer's angle of view and posted in youtube, that give you such a bigger understanding and sense of awe about the game.

Advertisement time: I'm trying reach the better angles and I have already made an online petition, with awful success. So go there:http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/tt-video-angle/
and make a signature!! And don't forget advertise the petition!

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
If they do this mind-numbingly stupid rule change, we will all be studying old Appelgren videos. Suits me fine. Bad for the sport as a while.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes, europeans tends to be higher, but japanese and some of the chinese (and asian nations who tends to be shorter)? They are also growing during the decades?

Yes, that is what statistics say. With that said, even though I am pretty tall, I don't have a problem with current table height and it would make it a lot harder for kids to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
That's for competition level only (official size)

You realize the majority of people on this forum that are active play in competitions. The competitions are held by various table tennis clubs and making them throw out their 12 ittf aproved tables at 1000 dollars a piece to buy new ones is and insane idea. Doing so with the net is also insane profit loss for them, but not to the extent that the tables would be.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
really? suck it up? way to go :eek:

Yes really. If players don't want to adapt to a change that has been made they have two choices, either quit playing or suck it up.

If old ball isn't an option let's change to 38mm poly ball!

Not just serving back will be suicide but pushing long also. Because of that the game will become something like that: short serve-short push-short push-...-a little bit high push-KILL the ball! (which will be more risky due the higher net). And the rallies won't be much longer, just a little bit.

Changing the ball again isn't an option for them. If you think the outrage is bad now, could you imagine the outrage they would face after changing the ball to 40+ at 3USD per ball for 2 years and then changing it again to another ball of the same material but smaller. Table tennis player's tend to be cheapo's compared to other sports.

How much do you think a centimeter is? a little bit higher push, kill the ball would be a simple shot for them, not risky. You said the rallies wont be longer but the example you gave was a 4 hit rally which is definitely longer than the average now. What makes you think the rallies will be shorter?

Lastly, I want to know why you think pushing long would be suicide, lots of top players use long heavy pushes as a weapon, not a defense. Pushing long toward someones wide forehand if catching them not quite in place causes them to be moving away from the table as the make their swing. This takes speed off the ball and isn't a strong attack allowing a counter attack to occur fairly easy. This is just one example of how a long heavy push can be useful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Yes really. If players don't want to adapt to a change that has been made they have two choices, either quit playing or suck it up.

Changing the ball again isn't an option for them. If you think the outrage is bad now, could you imagine the outrage they would face after changing the ball to 40+ at 3USD per ball for 2 years and then changing it again to another ball of the same material but smaller. Table tennis player's tend to be cheapo's compared to other sports.

How much do you think a centimeter is? a little bit higher push, kill the ball would be a simple shot for them, not risky. You said the rallies wont be longer but the example you gave was a 4 hit rally which is definitely longer than the average now. What makes you think the rallies will be shorter?

Lastly, I want to know why you think pushing long would be suicide, lots of top players use long heavy pushes as a weapon, not a defense. Pushing long toward someones wide forehand if catching them not quite in place causes them to be moving away from the table as the make their swing. This takes speed off the ball and isn't a strong attack allowing a counter attack to occur fairly easy. This is just one example of how a long heavy push can be useful.

In theory, the currently used powerloops would be harder to execute and counter a flat loop would be also harder.

I could try it for a short time: a little gameplay and then multiball. I've found short, spinny opening loops very useful because it was hard to make a fast counter. Forehand flips were extremly effective. I've could make only a few backhand flick and flip but I didn't felt any problems with them. I've felt that attack win even more than pushing. During multiball I made tons of net balls, but it's because I'm not familiar with the tall net. In general 3rd -4th balls were stronger but not too much and I'm not sure that it's because of the net.

Last edited: