Drawing Thread

says what [IMG]
Here's one I just did now, @Boogar.

I'm really not a character artist, and this is probably one of the worst pictures I've made in a long time, but eh. Tsukimoto Makoto from Ping Pong the Animation, and I did need to use photo reference: this is quite a hard pose to nail and I couldn't remember the details of the clothing. I've never drawn anything table tennis related, before.

Here's my workflow to now, because I don't like artists who don't show their bad initial sketches too.

Super rough pencils: Picture 207.jpg (Sorry no scan, not gonna even waste the scanner on this.)

Cleaner but not clean pencils:

I haven't got to a proper cleanup (No need because the picture is on a small canvas: no resolution for details anyway) or an ink yet. I could probably re-do this a few times, study shoes more, learn to draw table tennis bats properly and do some character sheets of Tsukimoto for practice and in a week it'd look a lot more professional. Maybe I will do that later: I'm not too satisfied with this. It's about time I learned to draw/design shoes, too. :p

EDIT: Scan is higher res than that, but it's showing up REALLY small, so have this external link: http://i.imgur.com/FA8ix83.png I even re-sized it to make it smaller.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Well, it's your thread and you've already showed a bit: I don't mind more.

I redo lines way too much. When I'm not shaky and chicken scratchy like I was with this, I make better lines, but I don't draw characters enough to achieve that professional line quality all the time.

Don't worry if your art doesn't look like you'd want or the methods you can perform are not as high level as you'd want: art is hard work, and no one is satisfied with their own work, unless they're terribly delusional. :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Well, it's your thread and you've already showed a bit: I don't mind more.

I redo lines way too much. When I'm not shaky and chicken scratchy like I was with this, I make better lines, but I don't draw characters enough to achieve that professional line quality all the time.

Don't worry if your art doesn't look like you'd want or the methods you can perform are not as high level as you'd want: art is hard work, and no one is satisfied with their own work, unless they're terribly delusional. :p

Indeed i found it very hard to keep the proportions. For that the sketches migth help :D but i need a good eraser first. I used to draw alot in the past and yesterday made me realise how much i like it. So i might do some more later on.
Any wishes? :)

says what [IMG]
Sketches are quite important. I can only draw characters without any base-lines if I've done them a million times and the subject matter and pose is familiar to me. Use reference when sketching. Pros do it, why not you?

If you want to get better at drawing from a reference, practice simpler pictures first. An amateur's copy of a picture of a human will look wildly different from an experienced artists' just because of the knowledge and line making level difference. If you wanna draw for fun, do whatever, really. Just make confident lines and make it a habit.

I like to copy anime keyframe art sometimes. The people working on big projects' keyframes are astoundingly good and often have tens of years of experience. Their line making is insane.

SHAFT makes the best character keyframes, IMO. http://i.imgur.com/krbmsoH.jpg

If you can come close to that, even on a copy, you're on a good path.