What's a good and cheap intermediate Rubber?

This user has no status.
Crayon, are you using the exact setup in your profile? If you are, there's not really any way to improve it. I know this is the pot calling the kettle black here but if you're unable to loop, you need to worry about that wayyyy before equipment unless you're playing with a recreational paddle from a department store. Colestt.com's premade buster combo is outstanding for anyone wanting to seriously learn the game. You can get enough spin on serves with any rubber on the market that's not pips/anti (not that pips can't get good spin on serves - look at LGL) so if you have a setup that's slightly better than a pile of poo, your lack of spin is most likely due to a lack of feel for spin and brushing contact. I thought a magical setup would make a huge difference when I first started too, and that notion really slowed down my development. Just get something decent and work hard to learn the feel for heavy spin, you'll end up better with a $30 setup than you would be if you spent hundreds of dollars on equipment :p

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Those of you not familiar with Crayon should read what I wrote and see if you can figure out why I wrote it.

Does not know how to loop but considers himself intermediate????

Has a Garaydia T5000????

Think about it for a bit. And yes he has a Korbel too.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Trust me, I've seen all the old discussions and cross-posts. Everybody gets one kind post intended to help, if it doesn't hit home it ain't my problem ;) That T5000 sounds like a sweet paper weight though, albeit a bit expensive. OP would definitely benefit from some 2008 XP on both sides IMHO. It's not magic but it does anything you want it to do.

I had a buddy from high school start at my college during my 4th year (engineering is 5 years) and the kid loved TT. He got recreationally decent using a cheap Dick's sporting goods racket but wanted to get something better. I recommended him a Xiom premade that I learned with and had pretty good success with. Then he read the reviews and called me, pissed off, of course, and explained to me that he was intermediate AT LEAST. I explained to him that I wasn't even really intermediate at the time, though he couldn't get to more than 5 points in a game against me. So he bought the paddle and we played when he got it. The whole time he was whining that the paddle wasn't spinny enough and that he could do better with a better setup. So I let him use my setup and proceeded to spin him off the table with his "wildly inferior" setup. He hasn't played much since. I'm not even good now, let alone then, so that should tell you how big the equipment misconception is with beginners. It also tells you how big the gap is between recreational ping pong and the sport of table tennis. Sorry for getting off track, figured my little anecdote may be helpful :)

says what [IMG]
If you can't looping so maybe short pips will be good for your backhand. Friendship 802-40 is very nice SP with spin possibilities and very cheap.
Good short pips players should know how to loop with inverted.

This guy is just simply a beginner, and the Knife hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Trust me, I've seen all the old discussions and cross-posts. Everybody gets one kind post intended to help, if it doesn't hit home it ain't my problem ;) That T5000 sounds like a sweet paper weight though, albeit a bit expensive. OP would definitely benefit from some 2008 XP on both sides IMHO. It's not magic but it does anything you want it to do.

I had a buddy from high school start at my college during my 4th year (engineering is 5 years) and the kid loved TT. He got recreationally decent using a cheap Dick's sporting goods racket but wanted to get something better. I recommended him a Xiom premade that I learned with and had pretty good success with. Then he read the reviews and called me, pissed off, of course, and explained to me that he was intermediate AT LEAST. I explained to him that I wasn't even really intermediate at the time, though he couldn't get to more than 5 points in a game against me. So he bought the paddle and we played when he got it. The whole time he was whining that the paddle wasn't spinny enough and that he could do better with a better setup. So I let him use my setup and proceeded to spin him off the table with his "wildly inferior" setup. He hasn't played much since. I'm not even good now, let alone then, so that should tell you how big the equipment misconception is with beginners. It also tells you how big the gap is between recreational ping pong and the sport of table tennis. Sorry for getting off track, figured my little anecdote may be helpful :)

Hahaha, too many people blame their equipments for their lack of skills. I have a friend who mis-hit and then look at his paddle as if that's his padddle's fault.

I could probably play with any tensor rubbers decently immediately but I just don't like the feeling with most them. Tenergy is still my only love :rolleyes:

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
Absolutely. I still love cheap, dead-ish rubbers and playing as funky as possible. That's especially true when I beat people that use a $250 setup ;) The same thing happens in powerlifting, you outlift someone that's uneducated and they ask you what supplements you used to get to that level hoping to find a secret. Then when you say nothing, its been 5 years of consistent ass-busting they just hang their head and ponder life. Always funny :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Absolutely. I still love cheap, dead-ish rubbers and playing as funky as possible. That's especially true when I beat people that use a $250 setup ;) The same thing happens in powerlifting, you outlift someone that's uneducated and they ask you what supplements you used to get to that level hoping to find a secret. Then when you say nothing, its been 5 years of consistent ass-busting they just hang their head and ponder life. Always funny :)

People who use dead rubber on purpose shall receive their punishment one day....

Reactions: BeGo