• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 64
    1. Top | #1
      TableTennisDaily is offline
      says Stay Safe Everyone
       
      Administrator Country: England
      TableTennisDaily's Avatar

      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      London
      Posts
      3,998
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6,342 Times in 1,768 Posts

      Zhang Jike CONFIRMED and will play singles at Rio Olympics 2016!

      After weeks of speculation and various articles surfacing across the web, table tennis fans across the world have been awaiting eagerly on who Team CHINA will select for the singles event at the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio. A popular discussion took place on TTD with many users trying to work out who Liu will pick. Ma Long secured a singles spot with his victory at the Asian Cup. The second singles position has been between Zhang Jike and Xu Xin. Liu Guoliang today announced Zhang Jike will join Ma Long in the singles event and Xu Xin will join the players in the team event.



      Men

      Singles - Ma Long and Zhang Jike
      Team - Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Xu Xin

      Women

      Singles - Li Xiaoxia and Ding Ning
      Team - Li Xiaoxia, Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen

      Reigning Olympic Champion Zhang Jike will get a chance to defend his title at the Rio Olympics 2016. Do you agree with the selection?

    2. The Following 4 Users Like TableTennisDaily's Post:

      Kevin Geraldy (05-20-2016),ping fun (05-20-2016),ttmonster (05-20-2016),yuri.saldon (05-21-2016)

    3. Top | #2
      Michal_Z is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Slovak Republic
      Michal_Z's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Gewo Alexander Valuch
      Forehand Rubber Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 48
      Backhand Rubber Gewo Nexxus XT Pro 48

      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Slovakia
      Posts
      3,057
      Reviews
      Read 7 Reviews
      Liked 1,264 Times in 712 Posts
      Just posted about it in the other topic..
      I didnt know about LGL sayin, just looked up here:
      http://ittf.com/ittf_ranking/olympic_singles_ranking/
      where you can clearly see ZJK being in the green and FZD and XX NOT .. that means ZJK goes..

      What makes me sad is, that world no. 1 in women is not going to play singles.. poor LSW

    4. Top | #3
      TableTennisDaily is offline
      says Stay Safe Everyone
       
      Administrator Country: England
      TableTennisDaily's Avatar

      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      London
      Posts
      3,998
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6,342 Times in 1,768 Posts
      Zhang Jike will get a chance to defend his title. Relive the moment from London 2012 below by youtuber SpinClips


    5. Top | #4
      bobpuls is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Elite TTD Member Country: Slovak Republic
      bobpuls's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade 1. Custom off 2.Custom off+
      Forehand Rubber Dhs Tg2 provincial
      Backhand Rubber Cornilleau Target Pro GT H47

      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      Trencin
      Posts
      1,321
      Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 862 Times in 484 Posts
      There will be no chance against the Ma Long machine...

    6. Top | #5
      dio_hgw is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: Greece

      Equipment:
      Blade Cornilleau Gatien Glory OFF
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Aurus Soft
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Aurus Soft

      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      Posts
      103
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
      It doesn't matter if I or anyone else agrees or not; LGL knows better. Though, I have written my thoughts in the other thread, I had predicted this decision and personally I like it.
      Live and let live...

    7. The Following 2 Users Like dio_hgw's Post:

      TableTennisDaily (05-20-2016),ttmonster (05-20-2016)

    8. Top | #6
      Chen Chen is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: China

      Equipment:
      Blade DHS Malong W968
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Blue Sponge)
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Orange Sponge)

      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      393
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 329 Times in 187 Posts
      The list from china site released a couple of days ago, Zhangjike was placed at the second place followed by Malong, which means he will play the men's singles according to the Chinese system. Xuxin will play the team matches.

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016516171922aaa.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	10009

      GO Zhangjike!
      Last edited by Chen Chen; 05-20-2016 at 08:47 AM.

    9. The Following User Likes Chen Chen's Post:

      Suga D (05-31-2016)

    10. Top | #7
      Chen Chen is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: China

      Equipment:
      Blade DHS Malong W968
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Blue Sponge)
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Orange Sponge)

      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      393
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 329 Times in 187 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by bobpuls View Post
      There will be no chance against the Ma Long machine...
      Never underestimate Zhangjike, he is the only one played the Olympics before in this Chinese team.

    11. Top | #8
      ping fun is offline
      says The only impossible journey is
      the one you never begin .
       
      Elite TTD Member Country: Iran
      ping fun's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Viscaria
      Forehand Rubber Nittaku G-1
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku G-1

      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      Tabriz
      Posts
      1,493
      Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 1,756 Times in 808 Posts
      I really liked this choice ... Zhang jike is better than xx in many aspects that liu and other coaches know . I mean they know better than us . Its not just about one or two games , its about the whole career . I wish zjk can defend his title in a time that every one expect malong to win the olympic title . Cause he is capable of doing such a master pieces ...

    12. The Following 2 Users Like ping fun's Post:

      Alborz (06-04-2016),dio_hgw (05-20-2016)

    13. Top | #9
      sktrdie is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Italy


      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Posts
      45
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
      It's just sad that XX will be 30 at the next olympics and therefore won't probably be able to play them.

    14. Top | #10
      anchorschmidt is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Germany

      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso
      Forehand Rubber BH: Hexer Duro
      Backhand Rubber FH: Vega Pro

      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Posts
      644
      Reviews
      Read 7 Reviews
      Liked 685 Times in 298 Posts
      It's just a bad decision by the Olympic committee to only allow 2 to play instead of 3. Xu Xin and Liu Shiwen have to sit out even though they rightfully deserve medals.

    15. The Following 8 Users Like anchorschmidt's Post:

      Adam Chappell (05-22-2016),fais (05-21-2016),Ilia Minkin (05-20-2016),Irkutt (05-20-2016),nightwolf34 (05-22-2016),Suga D (05-31-2016),Takkyu_wa_inochi (05-20-2016),VicVoc32 (05-23-2016)

    16. Top | #11
      dio_hgw is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: Greece

      Equipment:
      Blade Cornilleau Gatien Glory OFF
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Aurus Soft
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Aurus Soft

      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      Posts
      103
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
      With all due respect I don't think that they "rightfully deserve medals". Nobody rightfully deserves anything unless they actually win it. XX and LSW are great but for some reason they lacked a tiny bit of something to gain their coaches' choice.
      Of course there could be more spots for each country, but those are the rules and the concept of the Olympic Games is not only the best players to be there, but also as many countries and peoples as possible to be represented.

    17. The Following 2 Users Like dio_hgw's Post:

      brabhamista (05-21-2016),TTFrenzy (05-20-2016)

    18. Top | #12
      Sali is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Poland

      Equipment:
      Blade Andro fibercomp 2
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Evolution ELP
      Backhand Rubber Hellfire Spezial

      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Posts
      1,553
      Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 721 Times in 491 Posts
      ZJK or XX - prefer XX but ZJK can be. But not picking up women ranked no 1 in the world is outrageous. I understand that Liu is not the best regarding nerves but still she deserves much more then ding ning who had the opportunity last time and failed.

    19. The Following 3 Users Like Sali's Post:

      Adam Chappell (05-22-2016),Michal_Z (05-20-2016),SquareBall (05-20-2016)

    20. Top | #13
      Chen Chen is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: China

      Equipment:
      Blade DHS Malong W968
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Blue Sponge)
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Orange Sponge)

      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      393
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 329 Times in 187 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by anchorschmidt View Post
      It's just a bad decision by the Olympic committee to only allow 2 to play instead of 3. Xu Xin and Liu Shiwen have to sit out even though they rightfully deserve medals.
      They are just trying to stop Chinese table tennis players to win everything.

    21. Top | #14
      anchorschmidt is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Germany

      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso
      Forehand Rubber BH: Hexer Duro
      Backhand Rubber FH: Vega Pro

      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Posts
      644
      Reviews
      Read 7 Reviews
      Liked 685 Times in 298 Posts
      I understand what you mean, but I think it's unfair that the bronze medal match in 2012 happened between Chuang Chih Yhuan and Dimitrij Ovtcharov while a player of Ma Long's calibre was sitting out. It also cheapens the medal in my point of view. Timo Boll's and Michael Maze's bronze medals at the WTTC are greater achievements than D.O. Bronze medal for precisely this reason.

      Of course there should be a limit but the Olympics were fine when 3 players from each country were playing till 2008. Also, no one really cares about what happens before the round of 32 (where pretty much the same players play that we know of). I can't recall a single memorable match from any Olympic games that happened before the round of 32.

      It's a good thing that unknown players get a chance but I think it's a bigger tragedy that players who have worked so hard and are so good have to sit out.

    22. The Following 4 Users Like anchorschmidt's Post:

      Adam Chappell (05-22-2016),nightwolf34 (05-22-2016),SquareBall (05-20-2016),Takkyu_wa_inochi (05-20-2016)

    23. Top | #15
      dio_hgw is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: Greece

      Equipment:
      Blade Cornilleau Gatien Glory OFF
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Aurus Soft
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Aurus Soft

      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      Posts
      103
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
      Yes, you are right, for some athletes it's sad and hard, though I always think Olympics as something different, something much more multi-dimensional, than each sport's World Championships. Maybe top-ranked players or top-ranked countries or at least the reigning champions should be awarded with extra places.
      But on the other hand, competitive sports are a matter of one spot, one tournament, one point, one millimeter, one millisecond and that is sometimes unfair but is also part of the sports' magic; you have to fight every single moment cause you don't know if you will be given another chance.

    24. Top | #16
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 245
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Dignics 09C
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Dignics 09C

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,934
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 13,230 Times in 5,903 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Sali View Post
      ZJK or XX - prefer XX but ZJK can be. But not picking up women ranked no 1 in the world is outrageous. I understand that Liu is not the best regarding nerves but still she deserves much more then ding ning who had the opportunity last time and failed.
      There was an Olympic trial tournament. Kong Linghui was very disappointed with Liu Shiwen's performance against Doi Kem. It's the kind of loss that can have coach's scratching their heads. To compound LSW's issues, LXX won the trial. Had Ding Ning won, LSW would have had a chance, but with LXX winning, that was all she wrote.

      The same with XX. Losing to CCY at the trials sealed his fate. Had he reached the final, then he could have had a chance.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    25. Top | #17
      Sali is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Poland

      Equipment:
      Blade Andro fibercomp 2
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Evolution ELP
      Backhand Rubber Hellfire Spezial

      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Posts
      1,553
      Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 721 Times in 491 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      There was an Olympic trial tournament. Kong Linghui was very disappointed with Liu Shiwen's performance against Doi Kem. It's the kind of loss that can have coach's scratching their heads. To compound LSW's issues, LXX won the trial. Had Ding Ning won, LSW would have had a chance, but with LXX winning, that was all she wrote.

      The same with XX. Losing to CCY at the trials sealed his fate. Had he reached the final, then he could have had a chance.
      Considering World Tour Liu Shiwen did not loose a single match this year, while Ding Ning lost to Liu and Li XX. Also Ding Ning lost to Mima Ito at the same tournament. Do Hoi Kem is not ranked that high but she is also very young and improved a lot. Of course it is not my business who Chinese choose to play olympics, but for me it is litte bit unfair.

    26. The Following User Likes Sali's Post:

      Takkyu_wa_inochi (05-20-2016)

    27. Top | #18
      UpSideDownCarl is online now
      says Krooklyn District Goon Squad
      Commissioner
       
      Equipment Expert
      Super Moderator Country: United States
      UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso +
      Forehand Rubber BH:Red Rasanter R48
      Backhand Rubber FH:Black Rasanter R48

      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Location
      Brooklyn, New York
      Posts
      13,571
      Reviews
      Read 11 Reviews
      Liked 15,034 Times in 7,269 Posts
      The one thing I would say about the 2 player max from each country for singles: there is only one country that has more than two players who deserve to go to the singles event. It is sad that that is the case. China has 4 that really could be considered. Most other countries have one that should be considered and another 1 or 2 who would fill out their team so they can play the team event. Japan, Korea, and Germany have 2 players that deserve a shot in the singles event. No other country is even 2 deep on their roster. But Japan and Germany don't really have a 3rd player. And Korea has a few older players who don't play as much, but, who, in some ways may be better than the Korean younger generation. In spite of lower world ranking or not even appearing on the World Ranking because of inactivity the older generation Korean players may still have something over the younger generation.

      So, unfortunately, allowing China to send 3 would probably mean 3 medals for China and none for any other country. I don't like the way this has been sorted out. And it would be nice if there was more talent outside China in table tennis. But this is the reality of the situation. It is also why China does not send too many of its provincial players to world events. There are really another several players from China who could be in the World's top 10 if they had the exposure in World Tour play.

      So, does anyone have any other ideas of how to run the Olympic Singles Event where all the top players who deserve to be there can play, without one country winning all the medals? It is a testament to the level of talent in China that they have 4 guys who really are better than anyone else entering the event. And really probably could have several more. And no other country can actually field more than 2 that have a shot at placing in the top 4!
      Spin Everything.

    28. The Following 3 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

      Der_Echte (05-21-2016),NextLevel (05-20-2016),nightwolf34 (05-22-2016)

    29. Top | #19
      Sali is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Poland

      Equipment:
      Blade Andro fibercomp 2
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Evolution ELP
      Backhand Rubber Hellfire Spezial

      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Posts
      1,553
      Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 721 Times in 491 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl View Post
      The one thing I would say about the 2 player max from each country for singles: there is only one country that has more than two players who deserve to go to the singles event. It is sad that that is the case. China has 4 that really could be considered. Most other countries have one that should be considered and another 1 or 2 who would fill out their team so they can play the team event. Japan, Korea, and Germany have 2 players that deserve a shot in the singles event. No other country is even 2 deep on their roster. But Japan and Germany don't really have a 3rd player. And Korea has a few older players who don't play as much, but, who, in some ways may be better than the Korean younger generation. In spite of lower world ranking or not even appearing on the World Ranking because of inactivity the older generation Korean players may still have something over the younger generation.

      So, unfortunately, allowing China to send 3 would probably mean 3 medals for China and none for any other country. I don't like the way this has been sorted out. And it would be nice if there was more talent outside China in table tennis. But this is the reality of the situation. It is also why China does not send too many of its provincial players to world events. There are really another several players from China who could be in the World's top 10 if they had the exposure in World Tour play.

      So, does anyone have any other ideas of how to run the Olympic Singles Event where all the top players who deserve to be there can play, without one country winning all the medals? It is a testament to the level of talent in China that they have 4 guys who really are better than anyone else entering the event. And really probably could have several more. And no other country can actually field more than 2 that have a shot at placing in the top 4!
      This is true. That is why I think world chamionships or grand finals are much more interesting. Anyway I have no other soultion. This system is to help other countries send their players even if they are very poor, but still they can compete and maybe take autograph from Ma Long

    30. The Following 2 Users Like Sali's Post:

      Takkyu_wa_inochi (05-20-2016),UpSideDownCarl (05-20-2016)

    31. Top | #20
      sktrdie is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Italy


      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Posts
      45
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by anchorschmidt View Post
      I understand what you mean, but I think it's unfair that the bronze medal match in 2012 happened between Chuang Chih Yhuan and Dimitrij Ovtcharov while a player of Ma Long's calibre was sitting out. It also cheapens the medal in my point of view. Timo Boll's and Michael Maze's bronze medals at the WTTC are greater achievements than D.O. Bronze medal for precisely this reason.

      Of course there should be a limit but the Olympics were fine when 3 players from each country were playing till 2008. Also, no one really cares about what happens before the round of 32 (where pretty much the same players play that we know of). I can't recall a single memorable match from any Olympic games that happened before the round of 32.

      It's a good thing that unknown players get a chance but I think it's a bigger tragedy that players who have worked so hard and are so good have to sit out.
      amen.

      Also from TableTennista, this is not an official announcement yet...
      Last edited by sktrdie; 05-20-2016 at 01:24 PM.

    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP