Votes: 1 25.0%
  • jab serve

• coaching video

• serving tip

• Total voters
says You cheeky bugger calling me Mehul, the boy that...
says You cheeky bugger calling me Mehul, the boy that...
Oct 2010
Sorry I did the poll by mistake (new to the site, all this tech is rocket science to me ????)

Reactions: Suga D
says [IMG]
Thanks for this video. If you are planning to make more tutorial video's, perhaps you can create some parts in slowmotion. That way the swing of your arm and the position of the blade is more clear.

I'm playing for almost 30 years (at a decent regional level), but you're never too old (or too experienced) to learn. I really appreciate the people putting time in such tutorials and I love to watch them. So thanks!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I know wang hao somewhat used this serve as his main for several years but as far as I can tell, this serve is SO much easier to execute with shakehand rather than penhold.

with shakehand, i always felt like it was a tomahawk motion like serve just done almost behind your body and by your waste.

Flick straight to the side for a lot of side/top.
Flick down & side for side/back. Quick wrist flick here helps.

But with penhold? :( it's a different story. The way the blade is facing, the head is already down and the wrist flick motion is just different. IDK. Maybe it's just me. But for all the advantages one is suppose to get in serving with penhold, I don't feel this particular serve is one of them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You have to consider Wang Hao had a different grip compared to traditional penholders ... I used to play a guy in my old club who was a big wang hao fan and used to copy wang hao's technique , he also had a custom made blade to execute wang hao's grip , he used to do this serve , but most of the times it was topspin ... the key to serving down spin would be to change the impact point ... check the video around 13:44 for spefics on the hook serve... hope it helps

I know wang hao somewhat used this serve as his main for several years but as far as I can tell, this serve is SO much easier to execute with shakehand rather than penhold.

with shakehand, i always felt like it was a tomahawk motion like serve just done almost behind your body and by your waste.

Flick straight to the side for a lot of side/top.
Flick down & side for side/back. Quick wrist flick here helps.

But with penhold? :( it's a different story. The way the blade is facing, the head is already down and the wrist flick motion is just different. IDK. Maybe it's just me. But for all the advantages one is suppose to get in serving with penhold, I don't feel this particular serve is one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: gmiller2233