Pro's Rubber Sponge Thickness

This user has no status.
Hi,

Do top professional players always use max sponge thickness for offensive purpose ? I cannot find any source about what sponge thickness do pros use for either their FH and BH rubber. I hope I can find some information here. I will appreciate if you can show me some images of pros sponge thickness.

Thanks

Reactions: Foxy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
I want to hear more about this, I was recently wondering that too if there are players who prefer to use 1.8 or 2.0mm instead of the usual 2.2 It kinda sucks chinese always come in max. I suspect if we disregard the rules pro's will be boosting the max sponge every time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I want to hear more about this, I was recently wondering that too if there are players who prefer to use 1.8 or 2.0mm instead of the usual 2.2 It kinda sucks chinese always come in max. I suspect if we disregard the rules pro's will be boosting the max sponge every time.

Remember, pro's rubbers are all customs made
The topsheet is specifically spec
the sponge is also specifically spec

anything that you can think of, is specifically spec

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Remember, pro's rubbers are all customs made
The topsheet is specifically spec
the sponge is also specifically spec

anything that you can think of, is specifically spec

There are rubbers like that out there, and many sponsored players use them.

And yet many other pros trade them in for regular shop version Tenergy ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
this would be a great thread to follow as well , i was wondering this also on Timo Bolls ALC ,i know he plays T05 on both sides ,but does he play 2.0 on fh and maybe 1.9 on bh? thx

Official info is both sides 2.1 (which makes sense since tenergy 2.1 equals roughly 3.8 overall rubber thickness and leaves room for boosting).

Then again, he claims he uses the shop version, so what would we know ;)

Reactions: Foxy and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Well, the pros one are not commercially packets, so it cant not be resold
Comes in stacks of 10s
I would find it silly to use regular commercial ones, as the pro ones are so much better

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
the official response we have on bolls blade is that both rubbers are not boosted and have a thickness of 2.1mm. his forehand is at ~98g, backhand slightly lighter.

most of that is taken from posts on a german forum by timo himself.

Edit: Airoc was faster :D

Well, maybe Butterfly boost it for the players too, there is something called "factory tuned" :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

I've heard this before and am willing to believe it.

Well, the pros one are not commercially packets, so it cant not be resold
Comes in stacks of 10s
I would find it silly to use regular commercial ones, as the pro ones are so much better

If i understood correctly Airoc meant that there are players sponsored by a company and go to shops and trade their pro version rubber against a regular commercial tenergy.

But of course you are right. Those pro-version-rubbers can't be sold officially then.

My guess is either the shop owners use it for themselves, give them to friends (one wouldn't believe what people do to be able to hold a pro version rubber in their hands) or just sell them inofficially.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
give them to friends (one wouldn't believe what people do to be able to hold a pro version rubber in their hands) or just sell them inofficially.

That is exactly what happens/happened.

I´m not saying which brand let alone which players (I know of several), but at one shop the ratio was 3 to one - the shop owner was then able to sell the pro ESN stuff at a higher price, hence its exclusivity, or give to friends at a lower price than the regular version of the same rubber. Either way, three rubbers sold would easily equal the buying price of the tenergy given to the pro player ...

Reactions: Foxy and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Interesting
Maybe in Europe, TT budget is less, so your "pros" need to get rid of sponsored stuff
I don't really see this in Asia
Most of them don't even get rubbers from the sponsors, ie Ma Lin didn't get Yasaka rubbers to "sell/give away"
As this is so little money and inferior to the greater picture.

If your German or European Pro need to sell 50~100 rubbers a year, this is really bothering to be honest

Reactions: Suga D