Recent experience with people that pissed me off

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Interesting story... I think you did just the rigth thing!

I recall losing games because the other player didn't let me warm up properly, after reading this i will definetly call them out the next time. At that time i thougth that I was giving him too easy balls... but well thats not the point in warming up isnt it?

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Yes Boogar, there are really two parts to it . One is avoiding injury as Baal called out. The other is playing to the level you are capable of . I need atleast a good 15-20 minutes to get warmed up and it makes a lot of difference in my play.

Interesting story... I think you did just the rigth thing!

I recall losing games because the other player didn't let me warm up properly, after reading this i will definetly call them out the next time. At that time i thougth that I was giving him too easy balls... but well thats not the point in warming up isnt it?

This user has no status.
Before I come to your story let me say something: Generaly just warming up by playing is a really big mistake. It is not just a bad amateur behavior it is also a bad habit from more experienced people. You need a real warm-up: running, stretching and or some movement exercises to warm up your body right. Not just that you will feel immediatly from the start that you will have a better feeling, you also protect your body by doing that. In addition you dont need anybody to do that.

To your story:
Why did you not already ask him at the warm-up: Please just block to my forehand I want to practice my topspin, please do some conter with me to my forehand? I think you already were very pissed from that what kept you from playing a good game. I think everything else was ok. Are these guys children or grown men?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
you are not the first person to ever go through this experience.
yeah sometimes you are warming up and the guy throws the ball to the other side like it was a point.
what do you?
nothing.
you just let the ball go and pick it up and start all over.

the guy starts calling you for not being 1600.
you say "yes I am 1600, you can check the ratings".

the guy says he doesn't wanna play you.
you say "ok thanks" and go pick another player.

the way you reacted sounds like you are not used to being treated like crap.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
the way you reacted sounds like you are not used to being treated like crap.

Nice respectable player's don't often get treated like crap. Why would he be used to it? The way he reacted was by standing up for himself which is better as it has potential of teaching the rude player that they can't treat people that way.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Nice respectable player's don't often get treated like crap. Why would he be used to it? The way he reacted was by standing up for himself which is better as it has potential of teaching the rude player that they can't treat people that way.

I mean in general, in life.
at some point you just get used to it and just shrug off most things.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
oh okay, replace the word "player's" with "people" in my post then.

it's the same answer too.
first few times maybe you think about crying and shouting like he did.
later you just learn that's the way life is, and if you are going to fight every time somebody misbehaves you are going to be fighting all time.
so you just learn more tolerance, that's all.

but it's the same as the thread of fake blades.
we all live different experiences, some are used to aggression and some rarely suffer it.
that's why we all react differently.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
it's the same answer too.
first few times maybe you think about crying and shouting like he did.
later you just learn that's the way life is, and if you are going to fight every time somebody misbehaves you are going to be fighting all time.
and most times you will actually lose, probably because the other part has more power (like a boss, stuff like that).
so you just learn more tolerance, that's all.

but it's the same as the thread of fake blades.
we all live different experiences, some are used to aggression and some rarely suffer it.
that's why we all react differently.

so you just haven't learned the more tolerance part yet? you do fight all the time after all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
so you just haven't learned the more tolerance part yet? you do fight all the time after all.

not really, I just seem to be good at writing stuff and provoking people's nerves.
but I wouldn't say I'm angry or fighting, most times it's just fun for me.

maybe it's also related to the other situation.
when you are not used to all this you see fight in many places, and maybe you'll react as ttmonster.
when you are used to it you don't really see it as fight, that's why you wouldn't react as ttmonster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
kukamonga, you are right I am not used to being treated like crap, because in general I don't treat people like crap, neither do I let them treat me like it .
In most situations I protest , and I have been doing this since I was a kid. I don't think our backgrounds are that different its just who we are.

If you let people treat you like crap, after some time, you will not only get used to , you will start believing that you are crap as well ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
TT_Rogue, I would have asked the guy if he was responsive enough. I could see that he was doing it on purpose and just not interested in warming up , its not just he is a newbie in table tennis , he has been playing for quite sometime and had pretty good serves. I have seen him play other people .

Anyways, I don't understand the "children or grown man" comment, can you please elaborate ? Just wanted to understand if you are saying that the situation and behavior from both ends were child like ?

I don't think you have been in these scenarios too many times, this is a very common scenario in a lot of table tennis clubs and is the very reason why most adults who want to learn the sport and walk into a club never come back after the first couple of times . There are all these "groups" in these clubs who would not even play a game with you , they just look at you and know that its not worth their while. While I have grown thick skin to that mentality and broken into a few of those groups socially to make sure I get players to play with, what was particularly insulting to me , regardless of the warm up part of it, was you invite me to play you and then after one game you leave saying I don't want to play you anymore I want to play my friend . Not sure , why you don't see this is as unacceptable behavior.

Before I come to your story let me say something: Generaly just warming up by playing is a really big mistake. It is not just a bad amateur behavior it is also a bad habit from more experienced people. You need a real warm-up: running, stretching and or some movement exercises to warm up your body right. Not just that you will feel immediatly from the start that you will have a better feeling, you also protect your body by doing that. In addition you dont need anybody to do that.

To your story:
Why did you not already ask him at the warm-up: Please just block to my forehand I want to practice my topspin, please do some conter with me to my forehand? I think you already were very pissed from that what kept you from playing a good game. I think everything else was ok. Are these guys children or grown men?

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
To be scrupulously fair, I have to add that some players need so long to warm up that by the time they are ready for a game I'm ready to sit down again. I'm told (I'm not involved myself) that in my local league matches frequently drag on towards 11 p.m. and that this is one of the causes. The other cause apparently is people who insist they can play league TT despite being unable or unwilling to drag themselves away from work before 7 p.m. - but that's not really relevant to this thread.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There is a difference between someone taking a long time to warm up and someone banging the ball around completely randomly to not let you warm up.

For a league match, it should not take more than approximately 2 min to get your timing ready. 1 min crosscourt from FH, 1 min crosscourt from BH. But if you are hitting crosscourt to the other person and they are trying to hit it where you are not, it is not likely that you will get your timing or feel for the ball.

That "warm up" is not really a warm up. It is just getting your timing and feel for the ball. A real warm up, well, it has already been said that a lot of that should be done before you walk up to the table. But you still need to get a feel for the ball.

I also have a method for doing this when I know the person I am going to play will not let me get warmed up. Because there are plenty of those guys out there.

One min of this on FH and one more on BH and my timing and ball feel will be ready to go:

If I do a few things to get my body warm before that I am match ready even if the jerk I am about to play tries not to let me hit the ball in "warm up".

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I have a hard time understanding "clubs" in the US. I guess it's just a place where a lot of people show up and play? In Sweden it's usually a team. Which means everyone tries to help eachother to become better and is a very friendly enviorment with coaches etc. American table tennis just seems to focus on everyone individually?